The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did we jump in so fast for Sestito?

Bodee

I guess MG realized this guy was able to score on both our goalies and decided he needed to be on our team.

Sestito made his NHL debut with Columbus in the last game of the 2007–08 season against the St. Louis Blues on April 6, 2008.[3] He scored his first NHL goal on December 15, 2010, against Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks in a 3-2 overtime loss. He scored his second NHL goal on December 23, 2010, against Cory Schneider, also of the Vancouver Canucks in a 7-3 losing effort.

We have 22 current roster players, 23 with Pinizzotto, so we don't have to send anyone down if we want to bring him up after his conditioning loan. If we decide he won't fit or isn't good enough, he'll have to pass waivers to continue playing for the Wolves. Sestito wouldn't have to move at all.

Well I reckon Vandermeer would have gone after him too and made a better job. He has played a forward role before.

I'm not saying Sestitois not a good player but I just think he a downgrade on Volpatti when it comes to fighting and hitting. For me he is a heavier Weise.

Come the playoffs, this is the guy we need.

Personally I would like to pair Schroeder back with his scoring buddy Sweatt and put Vandermeer (or Sestito at a pinch) to look after Schroeder. I think with a line like that we would get some goals

Why don't you wait till he makes a bad play before you crucify him. Since he got here he fought the toughest guy in the league after he steamrolled a twin and threw a high hit on hamhuis was it? Held his own there. He's also had shots on goal and had several good longer 4th line shifts in the offensive zone. I've also seen him get the puck out of the dzone a couple times.

I have yet to see him make a real boneheaded move or have a lazy shift. He's not ovechkin, he's Tom Sestito and he's played the 4th line role very well since he got here. Will he keep it up? I don't know, but trying to stir up controversy over him this early when he's done nothing wrong is just down right stupid.

True enough. I can't argue with any of that. Heck, much of CDC wants to trade Kesler now and replace him with marginal talent. It's pretty apparent most don't recognize and value talent when they see it.

The 4th line saviour thing can be attributed to Canucks fan psychology IMO. Since it's almost impossible to acquire top end players, the *hope* that a depth player can easily come in and change all of our fortunes is an enticing myth. Might as well buy a lottery ticket, eh?

I'll give Pinizzotto this though, at least he went to R.I.T. and got himself a semblance of an education before trying to go pro.

Between Pinizzotto, Weise and Sestito I think we can cobble together a decent 4th line that shouldn't hurt us in the playoffs this year.

I think he was worth it... because we needed a warm body. But I think Pinnizzotto is the guy MG intends to go forward with.

MG basically said when Volpatti was claimed "we wanted to replace that as soon as possible" and then went on to say how your 4th liners need to be able to play 10 minutes a night and kill penalties. I don't see Sestito having the ability to do that.

Oh I agree there, but then Volpatti wasn't killing penalties or playing 10 minutes a night either. Weise is better in that regard, since he's been averaging about 2 minutes more than Volpatti (and 3 more than Sestito) but he doesn't bring quite the same level of physical game. Pinizzotto gives us a little different option again (assuming he can stay healthy) so it's nice to have that versatility.

Really good 4th line players are harder to find, particularly ones that can bring the physical side like Volpatti and Sestito do, but can also fill in at center like Pinizzotto or be used in more situations like Weise.

Archived