The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hard Drugs Should be Legalized

Why are hard drugs illegal? It makes absolutely no sense.

Why is it that the government is spending billions of dollars on regulating all of these laws with respect to keeping drugs illegal. Let's forget about marijuana, we all know it's not a drug and that it will be legalized in the upcoming future. But seriously, the government is allowing the black market to be in control of distributing these drugs. We need to legalized drugs, it's honestly the better of two unfortunate situations.

Thoughts?

Why are hard drugs illegal? It makes absolutely no sense.

Why is it that the government is spending billions of dollars on regulating all of these laws with respect to keeping drugs illegal. Let's forget about marijuana, we all know it's not a drug and that it will be legalized in the upcoming future. But seriously, the government is allowing the black market to be in control of distributing these drugs. We need to legalized drugs, it's honestly the better of two unfortunate situations.

Thoughts?

I'm really on the fence with this issue. drugs like heroin and meth are so dangerous and destructive. i don't think the government can be a part of that. if the number of addicts didn't change, then maybe i'd be on board, but i have a heard time believing that if it's legal, people wouldn't just try it for fun, without fear of the law, and then get hooked.

I'm really on the fence with this issue. drugs like heroin and meth are so dangerous and destructive. i don't think the government can be a part of that. if the number of addicts didn't change, then maybe i'd be on board, but i have a heard time believing that if it's legal, people wouldn't just try it for fun, without fear of the law, and then get hooked.

-Alcohol is arguably the most "dangerous" substance on the planet...

-Legalizing and controlling substances actually makes them MORE difficult to obtain. Particularly for youth.

Really people just need to stop being so reactionary and afraid of change as it's clouding their logic. LOGICALLY people need to stop viewing drugs and drug abuse as a criminal problem and start viewing it for what it is. A medical issue.

Then where would they spend all the money used on the War on Drugs? The war on drugs is staggering the US budget.

The legalization of pot in Colorado and Washington respectfully has apparently already effected the general cost pot in the USA. The Cartels are not happy because now theoretically pot can be produced in those two states with out crossing a boarder. Marijuana is used as the cash generator for the Cartel cocaine trade.

From what I have been reading growers are flocking to those two states. Why ? To grow.

The social issues accompanying drug use are the same legal or not. I do think society is waking up to the realization of drug use is in our culture to stay. It continues war or not.

At least with the approach of legalizing drugs and ending the dumb war on drugs there would be a refocus of funding on drug abuse rather than catching the bad guy. The bad guy would be out a vocation. At least that's the theory.

The several countries in Europe that have taken the legalization approach seem to be doing ok.

No matter what, there will be over doses.

The prohibition of alcohol is a prime example of the legalization of a banned substance. I can't even imagine alcohol being illegal.

on the alcohol point, i completely disagree. almost everyone drinks, and a small percentage of those people become alcoholics. i've seen what alcohol can do to people, and it isn't pretty, but comparing to crack/heroin etc... i think is misguided.

and the second point you made is exactly what i'm on the fence about. getting alcohol when you're underage is the easiest thing in the world. i'm not sure it would help much, but i don't have statistics.

i'm not afraid of all change. i welcome the legalization of marijuana. hard drugs are such a different thing. i would like to see the government conduct some real studies before they just sanction the production of hard drugs. i might also like to see a national referendum.

i see drug abuse as a medical problem and a criminal problem. no one forced you (in most cases) to even try the drug in the first place. people know the risks of taking those drugs. so i think it's entirely in the government's right to force these people to clean up, in a medically responsible way. drug dealing is purely a criminal issue

on the alcohol point, i completely disagree. almost everyone drinks, and a small percentage of those people become alcoholics. i've seen what alcohol can do to people, and it isn't pretty, but comparing to crack/heroin etc... i think is misguided.

and the second point you made is exactly what i'm on the fence about. getting alcohol when you're underage is the easiest thing in the world. i'm not sure it would help much, but i don't have statistics.

i'm not afraid of all change. i welcome the legalization of marijuana. hard drugs are such a different thing. i would like to see the government conduct some real studies before they just sanction the production of hard drugs. i might also like to see a national referendum.

i see drug abuse as a medical problem and a criminal problem. no one forced you (in most cases) to even try the drug in the first place. people know the risks of taking those drugs. so i think it's entirely in the government's right to force these people to clean up, in a medically responsible way. drug dealing is purely a criminal issue

Exactly. There's never going to be a "perfect" solution for drug use as long as people are using them. The best we can do is harm reduction and the best way to do that I can think of is to legalize everything and offer treatment /counseling, remove the criminal element and generally make drug use as safe and "harm reduced" as we possibly can.

The government could do a tremendous amount to correct this. The only thing that really makes addiction a problem is that people will go to any lengths to a) procure drugs, and B) hide that activity.

If you make it legal, the government can regulate the potency, thus drastically reducing drug related deaths. Tax it, use the money to study why people want to get high. Use the money to treat people with addiction problems. Use the money to educate people about addiction. If this was all done the right way, it could end up being no different than having a couple of cocktails after work. But because of the criminal classification, people go to great lengths to hide it, lying to themselves and their families. Think about how well prohibition worked. It didn't.

Furthermore, if you take the black market out of the equation, you eliminate drug cartels. Do that and you greatly reduce the violence caused by drugs.

It's really quite simple. The governments of the world need to stop wasting money and time on a war that can never be won, and start using the interest people have in drugs to fund programs to educate those people about them so they can make better decisions and therefore have better lives.

I mean, heroin doesn't cause lung cancer and there is no risk of second hand injection. Just because you can overdose doesn't make it bad. You can overdose on aspirin. In fact, more people overdose on that than on all of the other drugs combined (excluding alcohol). But in safe doses it is an effective analgesic. That is because government regulates it.

well, this is a good debate. i'm still inclined to believe that the government shouldn't be involved in selling hard drugs. i have not seen the statistics a bunch of you mention. alcohol hurts society, for sure. but i have a hard time believing that every individual person who has a couple of beers at rogers arena has the same societal cost as someone who consumes meth. honestly i've never heard of a casual heroin consumer, or a functional meth addict.

i can agree to decriminalizing some drugs, but if there's no deterrent, what's going to stop people from becoming addicts?

obviously this is a video meant to shock, but look at the effects of meth:

are you telling me the odds of becoming a meth addict are just as low as becoming an alcoholic, and that it's easier to recover from?

Archived