Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MillerGenuineDraft

Hard Drugs Should be Legalized

All drugs should be legalized. Here are some basic facts:

In 1992/3, the average Canadian aged 15 or older spent $462 on alcoholic beverages; the value of alcohol sales totaled more than $10.4 billion. Alcohol provided employment for nearly 16,000 Canadians in 1993 and more than $4.2 billion in government revenue. The reduction of tobacco taxes in 1994 had dramatic economic impact. Government revenue from tobacco products was $4.65 billion in 1993/94. This is a decrease of $896.5 million (16.2%) from government revenues from tobacco in the previous year. The domestic market for the pharmaceutical industry, which employs more than 21,000 people in Canada, is valued at $4.3 billion.

http://www.parl.gc.c.../riley-e.htm#3. Costs of Substance Use

Alcohol creates a significant burden of health and social costs. For example, the estimated total direct and indirect costs of alcohol in Canada, based on 2002 data, were $14.6 billion, with over $7.1 billion as indirect costs due to productivity losses, $3.3 billion in direct costs to health care, and $3.1 billion in direct costs to law enforcement (Rehm et al., 2006a). By comparison, the estimated total costs of tobacco use in 2002 were $17 billion (Rehm et al.,2006a).

http://www.cpha.ca/u...r-alcohol_e.pdf

Similarly:

It is estimated that substance use cost more than $18.4 billion in Canada in 1992 ($649 per capita), which is 2.7% of the Gross Domestic Product. Alcohol accounts for approximately $7.5 billion in costs. The largest economic costs of alcohol are $4.14 billion for lost productivity due to morbidity and premature mortality, $1.36 billion for law enforcement and $1.30 billion in direct health care costs. Tobacco accounts for more than $9.5 billion in costs, and illicit drugs cost the economy $1.4 billion. The largest cost due to illicit drugs is lost productivity due to morbidity and premature death ($823 million), and a substantial portion of the costs ($400 million) are for law enforcement (including criminal-justice system costs). In general, the largest economic costs of substance use are from lost productivity due to morbidity and premature mortality, direct health care costs and law enforcement.

http://www.parl.gc.c.../riley-e.htm#3. Costs of Substance Use

So, for a fact, your so called "illicit and terrible" substances actually only cost the government a pittance when compared to widely available alcohol and tobacco. Additionally, the revenue outweighs alcohols harm (in economic terms).So if illicit substances such as heroin, cocaine, and marijuana are legalized, imagine the revenue for the government! The price of illicit drugs only cost roughly $1.4 billion (which will indeed rise if legalize all hard drugs - it will happen). Furthermore, one can argue that these substances hurt no one but yourself (if you're not careful or lack self control).

well, this is a good debate. i'm still inclined to believe that the government shouldn't be involved in selling hard drugs. i have not seen the statistics a bunch of you mention. alcohol hurts society, for sure. but i have a hard time believing that every individual person who has a couple of beers at rogers arena has the same societal cost as someone who consumes meth. honestly i've never heard of a casual heroin consumer, or a functional meth addict.

i can agree to decriminalizing some drugs, but if there's no deterrent, what's going to stop people from becoming addicts?

obviously this is a video meant to shock, but look at the effects of meth:

are you telling me the odds of becoming a meth addict are just as low as becoming an alcoholic, and that it's easier to recover from?

well, this is a good debate. i'm still inclined to believe that the government shouldn't be involved in selling hard drugs. i have not seen the statistics a bunch of you mention. alcohol hurts society, for sure. but i have a hard time believing that every individual person who has a couple of beers at rogers arena has the same societal cost as someone who consumes meth. honestly i've never heard of a casual heroin consumer, or a functional meth addict.

i can agree to decriminalizing some drugs, but if there's no deterrent, what's going to stop people from becoming addicts?

are you telling me the odds of becoming a meth addict are just as low as becoming an alcoholic, and that it's easier to recover from?

alright somehow i became the defender of the war on drugs, which isn't what i wanted to do. i'd like to see some statistics per capita rather than total. obviously alcohol is more harmful right now, because it's legal.

to answer the question, maybe i would try some drugs if they were legal, i don't know. the stigma and illegality seems what stops most people, not the risk of addiction. everyone thinks they'll never be an addict

alright somehow i became the defender of the war on drugs, which isn't what i wanted to do. i'd like to see some statistics per capita rather than total. obviously alcohol is more harmful right now, because it's legal.

to answer the question, maybe i would try some drugs if they were legal, i don't know. the stigma and illegality seems what stops most people, not the risk of addiction. everyone thinks they'll never be an addict

Would this mean the moron living behind us could continue to run his grow op in our nice neighborhood and nobody could legally do anything about it?

Why are hard drugs illegal? It makes absolutely no sense.

Why is it that the government is spending billions of dollars on regulating all of these laws with respect to keeping drugs illegal. Let's forget about marijuana, we all know it's not a drug and that it will be legalized in the upcoming future. But seriously, the government is allowing the black market to be in control of distributing these drugs. We need to legalized drugs, it's honestly the better of two unfortunate situations.

Thoughts?

For starters I am no expert on drugs, never tried any of them, other than alcohol. Some drugs tend to make people prone to violence, while others tend to have a mellowing effect, same with different types of alcohol, people drunk on Whiskey or Tequila tend to be more rowdy than those drunk on Wine or Rum. I can't see legalizing Marijuana doing any harm, it appears to be far less addictive and destructive than drugs like Coke, Hash, and Meth. Legalizing it may hurt the market for the harder drugs, (notice there isn't much market for bootleg liquor because regulated booze is readily available) and by that, reduce crimes committed by junkies desperate for cash to get their fix as well as crimes due to drug wars. I have also never heard of a pothead getting violent due to desperation or withdrawal. Legalizing it would also likely cause a boom in the fast food and convenience store business with everyone having the munchies ;)

For starters I am no expert on drugs, never tried any of them, other than alcohol. Some drugs tend to make people prone to violence, while others tend to have a mellowing effect, same with different types of alcohol, people drunk on Whiskey or Tequila tend to be more rowdy than those drunk on Wine or Rum. I can't see legalizing Marijuana doing any harm, it appears to be far less addictive and destructive than drugs like Coke, Hash, and Meth. Legalizing it may hurt the market for the harder drugs, (notice there isn't much market for bootleg liquor because regulated booze is readily available) and by that, reduce crimes committed by junkies desperate for cash to get their fix as well as crimes due to drug wars. I have also never heard of a pothead getting violent due to desperation or withdrawal. Legalizing it would also likely cause a boom in the fast food and convenience store business with everyone having the munchies ;)

With quotes like this (modified in bold, italics, underline, and strikethrough), you definitely proved you are no expert.

I really can't believe I just read that whiskey/tequila makes you rowdy, as in violent or angry, while rum/wine makes you the opposite. That's one of the biggest, and stupid wives tales, probably derived from the movies, or just some baseless asinine assumption/rumour.

The notion that marijuana is inherently less addictive or less dangerous than hash an extremely odd myth too.

The non-violent part is highly misguided as well. I don't know where you get these beliefs. Desperation and withdrawal are reasons not only for crime of all sorts but for introducing one's self to other drugs, with relation to the individual's circumstances (like financial) and dependency/addictive levels.

The non-violent part is highly misguided as well. I don't know where you get these beliefs. Desperation and withdrawal are reasons not only for crime of all sorts but for introducing one's self to other drugs, with relation to the individual's circumstances (like financial) and dependency/addictive levels.

i've had a lot of pot head friends, and i can assure you none of them ever got violent, even when they had to be clean for a while. i've also worked in several court houses and a criminal law firm, and i have never seen a crime committed because of withdrawal from marijuana. on the other hand, i've seen countless cases of people doing stupid crap when high on meth or heroin. even worse are the lengths people will go to to procure the drug. from what i've seen, hard drug addiction has a whole other kind of withdrawal than alcoholism/THC addiction.

The problem for me, and I do have a lot of experience in that my brother is a recovering drug addict and I have attended NA meetings. Legalizing drugs has some positive aspects, as discussed but the drawback in that is that it somehow sends the message that drugs are ok. They're legal, so they must be. Especially for young people, who would use that argument if they could. Educating or not being educated is not enough....for kids who are facing peer pressure, etc. - it can all go out the windown. Sure, having reinfocements throughout life and being educated will help some kids make the right choices...but some don't think first. Some simply get caught up in a moment and roll with it and that all goes out the window. Once you're exposed to some of these drugs, that's it - you're all in. Sure, kids tend to ignore (and even rebel against) legal issues and, in some cases, they think their cool status is raised with teetering on the edge and doing something illegal. But, for some at least, the fact that drugs are "legal" will become their platform. Their campaign. "Drugs are ok because....they're legal". I think sending a consistent message that they're no ok is best.

Driving with a cell phone is an example...it's a deterrent to some knowing that they'll be fined and (as of recently) may risk losing their phone. To simply state to people that it's dangerous and educating them wouldn't be enough....if there were no consequences then the majority of people would be using their cells while driving.

Pot - sure, go ahead and legalize it. No issues at all with that, as it's not going to drive anyone to be a bad person or likely ruin their lives.

Hard drugs - are you kidding? Crack? Meth? Those have no place in society and need to be done away with.

With quotes like this (modified in bold, italics, underline, and strikethrough), you definitely proved you are no expert.

I really can't believe I just read that whiskey/tequila makes you rowdy, as in violent or angry, while rum/wine makes you the opposite. That's one of the biggest, and stupid wives tales, probably derived from the movies, or just some baseless asinine assumption/rumour.

The notion that marijuana is inherently less addictive or less dangerous than hash an extremely odd myth too.

The problem for me, and I do have a lot of experience in that my brother is a recovering drug addict and I have attended NA meetings. Legalizing drugs has some positive aspects, as discussed but the drawback in that is that it somehow sends the message that drugs are ok. They're legal, so they must be. Especially for young people, who would use that argument if they could.

Driving with a cell phone is an example...it's a deterrent to some knowing that they'll be find and (as of recently) may risk losing their phone. To simply state to people that it's dangerous wouldn't be enough....if there were no consequences then the majority of people would be using their cells while driving.

Pot - sure, go ahead and legalize it. No issues at all with that, as it's not going to drive anyone to be a bad person.

Hard drugs - are you kidding? Crack? Meth? Those have no place in society and need to be done away with.

The problem for me, and I do have a lot of experience in that my brother is a recovering drug addict and I have attended NA meetings. Legalizing drugs has some positive aspects, as discussed but the drawback in that is that it somehow sends the message that drugs are ok. They're legal, so they must be. Especially for young people, who would use that argument if they could.

Driving with a cell phone is an example...it's a deterrent to some knowing that they'll be find and (as of recently) may risk losing their phone. To simply state to people that it's dangerous wouldn't be enough....if there were no consequences then the majority of people would be using their cells while driving.

Pot - sure, go ahead and legalize it. No issues at all with that, as it's not going to drive anyone to be a bad person.

It's plain stupid, seeing as hash is a marijuana product. I don't understand why people who don't have the slightest clue always feel they need to share their opinion on drugs.