The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cam Barker: First Impressions?

Bananas

Hes fine in the offensive zone, but he looks lost In the defensive zone imo, does not really know what to do and continually skates backward when opposing players are in front of him instead of playing the body, soft....

I just dont see it personally. And would not want him in our zone against a team like the hawks.

Not bad. Would love to keep him at 6/7 guy ahead of Alberts.

What I noticed:

Has a great ability in getting pucks through from the point (similar to Bieksa's little wrist show when he first established himself here)

Has good strength and uses the body.

Needs to work on his positioning and lateral movement (got beat on the sides a few times tonight).

Good on the offensive blue line...good at getting shots to the net...plays a surprisingly conservative game in the offensive zone (meaning he doesn't make ill timed pinches).

Mixed reviews in our end...pivots aren't strong...can be beaten on the outside...despite size, seems not be strong on the puck or battles...lateral moves aren't strong...better going north than going south.

So far so good...as many have said, he's played better than Edler....lets staple Edler's @$$ to the press box and give his spot on the roster to Barker for 2-3 games.

Good on the offensive blue line...good at getting shots to the net...plays a surprisingly conservative game in the offensive zone (meaning he doesn't make ill timed pinches).

Mixed reviews in our end...pivots aren't strong...can be beaten on the outside...despite size, seems not be strong on the puck or battles...lateral moves aren't strong...better going north than going south.

So far so good...as many have said, he's played better than Edler....lets staple Edler's @$$ to the press box and give his spot on the roster to Barker for 2-3 games.

Not sure why all you CDCers be bashing on Edler - if anything, his play is largely correlated with how our all-star* coaching staff (esp. AV) wants his to play. We've all seen he's capable of being a solid top 2/3 D-man, though he's not an offensive-puck-moving D (e.g. Visnovsky) and not a stay-at-home defensive D either, which AV appears to put him on either spectrum as of recent...

As per this topic... probably second best per-dollar D-man on our roster behind Tanev. Solid offensive upside, sufficient defensive capability.

The ONE thing that separates him from the rest of the depth dmen is he can looks comfortable playing the right side and that's why I think he may kick Ballard out of the top 6

I also really think that all that time he spent with the team and practising everyday and getting to know the systems before he stepped onto the ice in game action really helped him hit the ground running ....it also helped him to get %100 healthy and strengthen his ankles with our great trainers

Barker has not suprised me, I knew he would be fine in a bottom pairing. He was one of chicago's better D man for his first two years of playing, but injuries and personal problems caused him to lose focus on his game. He has never been a top notch skater, but has skilled hands and hockey sense which allows him to make good decisions with the puck.

Edler has to have something happening outside of hockey that is causing him to lose focus. How can a player that looked like he was taking the next step to the elite status, look like a bad rookie.

Archived