The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the mediocre play continues will big changes be on the horizon?

Southpop45

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It wasn't just the PP though. Our entire transition game left with Ehrhoff.

I get all the Bieksa love on here because he is tough - although he really doesn't play that way much anymore - but honestly he floats through a lot of games and has gone back to being ahead of forwards in the offensive zone. His "value" during the cup run was staying back and shutting other teams down. Now he is a liability defensively again most nights. He scores some goals but he is not as good for this team as he was playing shutdown D.

I am not the biggest Ehrhoff fan but losing him basically destroyed the roles we had for our D. And for a team that supposedly has such a top end defence, they suck defensively this year.

When Bieksa can help the Sedins become 100 point players like having Ehrhoff here did, then we can talk about which one was more valuable.

People let their love of fighters overshadow what the team really needed at that time and even now. A talented offensive D who could make things happen on his own.

You want to compete to win a cup? Here is what needs to happen.

Step 1: Fire AV. Get a new coaching staff who will instill hard work and accountability from all 23 players as being staples of team success. Get rid of the country club atmosphere and sense of entitlement from AV's favorites. Get them hungry again.

Step 2: Get the new coach on the same page as the GM regarding player personnel. If a guy does not fit (like Ballard in AV's system) dump him. This hoarding of depth by Gillis that does not even get used as intended by AV is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen from a professional sports team.

Step 3: Clearly define roles for all players, set D pairings and roles for them, and give these guys a chance to gel. Mistakes will happen but expecting perfection is why these guys can never get even close to it. Every player is expected to do everything........it is not realistic and setting them up for failure.

Step 4: Gillis gets on the phone and moves out any guys who do not fit the above or who have a redundant role here in order to fill holes that are not addressed by the current personnel. Waiting for the perfect trade or for the team to play a perfect game is futile. This includes solving the goalie issue too.

This team has no direction right now.......and if Gillis can not do the above, then he needs to be fired too.

Great posts. It appears like you say that MG and AV have no contact whatsoever. The hoarding of depth as you have gracefully stated is probably the thing ticks me off most. It's great to have all this depth but it's almost like he assigns a player a number value and then crunches the numbers to get the highest number of high numbers on his own made up chart. Then he just walks away and assumes they will all play somehwere in the line-up ... but that's not his job right?

I've played for many years now and I'm basically the assistant GM and Coach on our team. At the start of every year we sit down and pencil in the line-ups. The biggest of which is who is going to score on your top two lines. We may have to turn down a decent player that's not a grinder if we have a top 6 already.

When you look at the Canucks, we purposefully have no second line RW. Then, we just throw one of our four 3rd liners on there and revolve them constantly throughout the year (great for chemisty ... not). The stupidity of this mentality is that it only really benefits us when we have injuries. We can have a key guys out and we will still win a fair number of games. The point being it's very hard to be succesful when you need to have injures for the depth to start paying dividends. Same thing with the D. It might work in baseball but I have serious doubts when it comes hockey.

I hope AV is fired soon, it is clear that he has lost the team completely.

It won't surprise me if Gillis is canned, as I believe he is also responsible and hasn't done enough to keep this team competitive enough compared to the West's elite.

Forgive me for beating a dead horse, but the Hodgson trade still stinks badly.

Last night I wrote a long blurb about the Canucks struggles half way through this season and how it's concerning. I posted the GA, GF, PK, PP, F/O numbers relative to the league - most of which were below league avg. In hindsight, I'll admit I was overzealous and again reminded that basic stats are nice, but advanced stats are the best measure.

Canucks Army blog does an amazing job with advanced stats. They wrote a great article evaluating the Canucks thus far, definitely worth a read: http://canucksarmy.c...e-half-way-mark

Basically: Tells us Canucks are a great team even without Ryan Kesler. They are a better even strength (EV) team than previous years - which is quality info considering the officials call NOTHING in the playoffs and more time is spent at EV than on special teams. Their PK has been better as of late, but their PP is an absolute stinker and is among the leagues worst. Goaltending has been poor, but will obviously return to normal over time as they have Luongo and Schneider in net. Basically, they'll be fine cause their team underlying numbers are among the best league wide.

I still don't get why Gillis brings in players that will benefit the team in some shape or form (Ballard, Garrison, Kassian) and then AV gives them limited minutes, demotes them, scratches them or in Garrison's case not put him on the PP (where most of his goals came from last season) it's frustrating watching Kassian play a 4th line role and we all know what he is capable of.

I'm usually patient with the team when they hit a funk but we seem to be in type of play that we were in the at the end of last season, sitting back early on and coming back then losing it in the end. They seem too comfortable in their environment and MG has to do something Fire AV, trade someone from the core to shock them or something else, but this team needs a wake up call either now or closer to the trade deadline, but if we want a run at the cup something needs to change.

I still don't get why Gillis brings in players that will benefit the team in some shape or form (Ballard, Garrison, Kassian) and then AV gives them limited minutes, demotes them, scratches them or in Garrison's case not put him on the PP (where most of his goals came from last season) it's frustrating watching Kassian play a 4th line role and we all know what he is capable of.

"I understand what Gillis is trying to acheive. Building a Canucks identity by playing guys in the minors for years until they know the way we play. He wants to be like the Red Wings. Yeah, he panicked after the Boston series, but so did we all."

He (MG) may say that but how does that work when you don't have your own affiliate AND you can't draft worth a damn? Gillis doesn't have a clue about team building imo. Considering HOW and WHY we lost and got beaten up in 2010-11 we have too many of the same players on the roster and the guys we got rid of were better than what we brought back.............just a bloody shambles!

Archived