The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the mediocre play continues will big changes be on the horizon?

Southpop45

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do not believe that a coaching change will happen within this shortened season .. makes no sense with half the short season gone.

I see a goalie, Ballard, Booth and even Kesler gone in the off season .. I see a coaching change as well, unless we pull a "miracle finish" out of someones nether region .. something is not right with this team, and it needs cleansing ..

If AV canna fix it, Gillis had better or they will both fall like domino's ..

I do not believe that a coaching change will happen within this shortened season .. makes no sense with half the short season gone.

I see a goalie, Ballard, Booth and even Kesler gone in the off season .. I see a coaching change as well, unless we pull a "miracle finish" out of someones nether region .. something is not right with this team, and it needs cleansing ..

If AV canna fix it, Gillis had better or they will both fall like domino's ..

<p>

It's called bringing in a coach who holds all 23 guys accountable and rewards those who actually get the job done. And aving the balls to trade for a top line sniper to put you over the top.

If you are saying that these things need to happen for the Canucks to have any chance at "flipping a switch" I would agree.

But the Canucks will wait for this team to just finally win without major changes. Because the only bold moves Gillis has made are bad ones and he is scared to lose his job if he makes another one.

Fire the damn coach already! How many times are we going to give him a free pass. Treated Linden, Naslund and Mitchell without class. Refuses to give young players a little rope during the season to work through their deficiencies. Idiotically left Luongo hanging in net in the finals. The whole Hodgson fiasco. inability to adapt during games. And most of all this team just simply needs a new fresh voice who can tighten up the stupid long stretch passes and disjointed play this team is playing right now.

Nope. Everyone, from the GM, down to the coach, down to the captain, is content with this team and the way they are playing and will continue to be content based on the feats achieved throughout the last few regular seasons and the SCF run in 2011. Everyone in this organization seems to have a very long leash. The last time the owner stepped in and demanded change was - shocker! - the last time this team missed the playoffs, which was a hit to the wallet that an owner like Acquillini could not accept.

As long as the Canucks are a top team that contends for the playoffs every year, the owner will be content, which means Gillis can be content, which means the coach can be content, which means the team can be content.

what if we dont make the playoffs and end up with a top five pick!? Is that not just what this team needs going forward A young talented player to build the future around!? I would be happier missing the playoffs then losing in the first second third or finals, and realistically our current roster is not going to cut it as is. Our older players are going to be tired quick. Some might even say we are just trying to get through these games right now so that we can get this crazy season over with.

I'm not saying lose all hope, I don't think Gillis will make the changes necessary at this time. Just being optimistic when were losing that something really great good come out of it.

Just imagine 2 picks in the top 40 this year. Maybe 3 if we get a trade done!

We have a team with a boatload of 3/4 liners and few 1/2 liners, but I doubt MG makes any significant additions. AV will be here for another season. Both goalies will be around too.

The C in Canucks stands for complacency.

I've never been on the Gillis bandwagon. I think overall he has done some good things and some bad things as GM.

Getting Ehrhoff for a song was a great thing.....letting him go to keep Bieksa/Ballard? Not so good.

Trading Hodgson for Kassian? I think a reasonably logical move addressing a glaring need from (at the time anyway) a position of organizational strength......does the coach use Kassian the way he needs to be used? No. So the trade is really a waste at this point. If you have seen that movie before it is called "The Trade For Keith Ballard" and "The Signing Of Jason Garrison".

Gillis looks afraid of his shadow now. He has signed some dud contracts. Luongo, Garrison, Bieksa, and is more free than a hippy love-in with the No Trade Clauses.....that can't end well for a guy who publicly states he will never ask a player to waive one.....

Can AV stay for his 3rd GM? If Gillis doesn't want that to happen he better fire AV first and if that doesn't work he needs a big trade to change the culture.

Actually, much like the Kassian trade. Garrison and Ballard were both needs, and Ballard could have been what we expected had AV used him right, so much like the Kassian one you can chalk that up to AV too.

Garrison was a need, Salo had already signed that monster deal which we were never ever going to be able to match, Garrison was the best defenseman avaliable aside from Suter, we needed a top 4 defenseman, the Garrison signing was really a must aswell, and there were no other options.

As for Ehrhoff, he wanted out. Bieksa was the guy I would have choose too, we couldn't really move Ballard it was a short time frame, plus I think MG believed Ehrhoff would buy in and re-sign at a reasonable price.

At that contract I don't want him.

I was saying that both the trade for Ballard and the signing of Garrison were needs.....but the coach does not utilize them properly so they are pretty much wasted as well.

Keeping Bieksa/Ballard over Ehrhoff was a colossal mistake imo because Ehrhoff fit extremely well with the Sedins especially on the PP. It is not a coincidence they went back to PPG players after he left and only broke 100 while he was here. If the plan had been to keep Bieksa and Hamhuis playing shutdown defence and Ballard, Salo, Edler, etc. picking up the slack offensively for Ehrhoff that might have been a different story, But turning Bieksa and Hamhuis into the ones driving the offense instead of playing that shutdown D is what I consider a major reason the team has fallen this far this fast. If they could not get rid of Ballard, he could have filled Bieksa's two way role adequately while Ehrhoff surely would have made the offense much better.

Archived