Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

If the mediocre play continues will big changes be on the horizon?

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

Poll: If the mediocre play continues will big changes be on the horizon? (345 member(s) have cast votes)

if the canucks continue their mediocre play which is most likely to happen

1. one of the goalies are traded (91 votes [26.53%])

Percentage of vote: 26.53%

2. a coaching change (92 votes [26.82%])

Percentage of vote: 26.82%

3. nothing, gillis will not have the guts to make a major change (160 votes [46.65%])

Percentage of vote: 46.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

You didn't like getting to game 7? Weird man, I do not want to go back to the days of "missed the playoffs"

we didnt like loseing game 7

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#122 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

I don't expect any of the core pieces (except POSSIBLY a goalie) to go anywhere at the deadline (or soon), and that includes AV.

It's unfortunate that they've been playing below standards (and AV is responsible for over-shuffling the lines at times even when they were doing well, as well as mismanagement of players in not using the according to their skills IMO) but even if they decide to let him go it would be in the off-season but not now.

As for moving roster pieces I don't see much change in the major pieces either (unless it's to fill roster needs e.g. Cody for Kass), since he (like most other GM's) signs guys to big deals w/ NT/NMC's expecting that they'll do well and have time to gel together. Even when they're not playing at their best (like right now) it may be rash down the road just to trade them out of desperation when they'll be undervalued and receive less return than they can get. However, in general it's tough to really get more value given the roster currently in place:

Guys who are unlikely to be moved (e.g. with NT/NMC's):
Twins, Burr, Kes, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison (given that he has NTC Jason counts as part of this list.)
They've been the team's leaders, so while other teams may want them, moving them would affect team chemistry.

Nominal "Trade chips" due to sub-par performances with large salaries: Luongo (despite NTC), Booth, Raymond, Ballard, (Edler?) Most possible trade candidates, but their performance relative to their salary landed them on this list, so why would other teams value them more for bad play, heavy hit on their books, plus the cost they could be had in terms of assets? I'd say (if they're on the market) Edler then Lu would have the highest value, but (unless he's secretly Paul Holmgren) I don't see him moving Edler before his new deal is in place, and Lu's value is always a mystery. Ballard and Raymond are inconsistent and Booth came for Sturm and Samuelsson in a cap dump, so not exactly the most valuable, plus he may yet round into form with the right line-mates.

(Schneider may belong to this trade chip list yet, but for different reasons. He hasn't gotten the results yet, and management wanted to run with him in the future, hence the new deal to keep him here if/ when Lu gets moved. However, he may, based on potential bring them the biggest return, maybe after Edler).

Everyone else (Hansen, Higgins, Tanev, Lapierre, Schroeder, Weise, Sestito, Alberts, Barker) likely won't return as much value as MG would want even if they were traded, since they were either bargain bin pick-ups, UFA signings or signed to bargain/ EL contracts and they provide greater than fair value for what they're paid.

In short, I'm of the mindset that MG will continue to keep the core and value players, use the "overpaid's" instead of trading them off for lesser returns and at most only move Edler and a goalie (and an "overpaid" if there's a good return). However, if there's holes that can be filled by packaging off several pieces I hope he does it! Before that though, I think the best move (as I've always thought) would be to make lines out of guys whose skills complement their line-mates well.

Can't wait to see if anything happens, or if the team'll just play itself out of this "slump".

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#123 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

we didnt like loseing game 7

I particularly didn't like losing game 7 at home 4 - 0 to a lesser team because our team decided not to show up. Especially painful after being up 2- 0 and 3 - 2 in the series.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not go back to the finals than lose one like that again.

#124 canuckdiehard

canuckdiehard

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Gillis won't do anything.

This unfortunately is what will probably happen.I don't think anybody wants to trade with MG.He had no friends in the GM world(except talon).He makes excuses about how hard it is to make a trade etc.Other guys can getter done.Not Mike....(too hard)

#125 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

gillis probably messed his chances up trading lu by trying to ask to much
Posted Image

#126 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Holy crap some of you guys are negative.. Don't be rediculous, obviously if we continue to slide there will be changes. These guys are calculated professionals not blind NHL 13 dummies, they will do something if this turns into more than a slump. He's talking to GMs all the time about possibilities but he's not going to make a deal that doesn't make sense.

I understand this recent Canucks slump is stressing you out. It's ok, I'm pissed off too but we can blow up the team every time we lose a string of games.... Get real

#127 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Nothing will happen till the seasons over and it's too late.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#128 canucks.rool

canucks.rool

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

I think around playoff time the Canucks are going to go BEAST!!

#129 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I think around playoff time the Canucks are going to go BEAST!!

where have I heard that statement before?

oh yeah.

last year. :sadno:
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#130 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Gillis doesn't have the balls to make a trade and make some bold moves. He promised bold moves when he was hired. The year before and during the cup run it seemed like every move he made worked out and the last 2 years it seems the moves he has made have made him gun shy.

He keeps waiting for a magical Luongo return in a trade that is never going to manifest itself. He struck out last year now he's trying to hit a home run.

Here's a bold move how about trading Kesler for younger better players? Holmgren had the balls to trade Richards in Philly why can't Gillis do the same in the off-season?

This teams window is closing unless they dramatically remake their roster. If he is content with their window closing he should go all in this year.

Edited by Terry Crews, 10 March 2013 - 01:48 AM.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#131 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

You people have such ridiculous expectations.
Drastic changes don't NEED to be made.
This team simply needs to start wining.

If any BIG moves happen. It'll be in the offseason.
If you do decide to move core players (ala Richards, Carter) you don't do it mid-season
where emotions come into play.

You sit back. Assess, assess and assess some more.
Then you make a move....only IF it's available.

This aint NHL 13. You don't make trades by simply snapping your fingers lol

#132 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

Here's a bold move how about trading Kesler for younger better players? Holmgren had the balls to trade Richards in Philly why can't Gillis do the same in the off-season?

Yeah, and where the hell did that leave Philly? They are doing worse than us. Guess what? Kesler is a great player. Kesler at 100% makes this team much better. Plain and simple.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#133 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Oh no .. once again the sky is falling .. I hear the Hawks are looking for "fans"? ..

Piss off T :)
Kevin.jpg

#134 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Did the Kings look like contenders going into the playoffs last year?
I swear.. a lot of Nuck fans have zero perspective. Its constant doom and gloom with this fan base.
Come to reality and realize we arent going to win every game. Every team goes through its low points throughout a season.. we are in ours now, but a shift will come. I personally dont see any big changes on the horizon right now but it may change in a months time. My biggest concern is that Vignault isnt using Kassian and Garrison nearly as much as he should be, but im hoping that changes.

Maybe we should have that set to music and used as our intro. I'm tired of excuses. This market is far to big for Gillis's ambition. The guy is trading midget.
Kevin.jpg

#135 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

You'd think by now the Canuck fans would be used to mediocrity with a splash of hope thrown in every 10 years. MG and AV will do nothing but continue to deliver an average team that sells out on a continuous basis, has amazing corporate support and makes money. Why fix the business if it isn't broke?

Oh, for the fans! LOL, well they showed how much they care about the fans right?

Gillis does need to visit a dermatologist though. All this high stress has him with the reddest face in the NHL. That and the odd shot I guess. Kinda looks like Churchill (and we know what booze did to his complexion).

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#136 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

You'd think by now the Canuck fans would be used to mediocrity with a splash of hope thrown in every 10 years. MG and AV will do nothing but continue to deliver an average team that sells out on a continuous basis, has amazing corporate support and makes money. Why fix the business if it isn't broke?

Oh, for the fans! LOL, well they showed how much they care about the fans right?

Gillis does need to visit a dermatologist though. All this high stress has him with the reddest face in the NHL. That and the odd shot I guess. Kinda looks like Churchill (and we know what booze did to his complexion).

He may be in the running but he isn't a lock for reddest face. He has some stiff competition from Dave "Hamster Cheeks" Nonis and Bruce "Banner" Boudreau.
Posted Image

#137 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Let's not get too drastic here guys... We don't want him going crazy and trading someone we need to keep!

My bet is that he finally trades a goaltender, whether it be Cory or Lu I don't even care.

Either that or he trades Booth or Ballard (Which btw) have both proven to be useless, putting up crap points and are paid way too much for the role they play here in Vancouver. The rest of the team is fine and playing good in my eyes, even Raymond has proven himself to be at least worthy of our 3rd line if not on the left wing of the 2nd line with Kes as was originally intended. Maybe the rookies Kassian and Schroeder could be sent down for a while, but that's about it...

I do hope that MG does make a move or two and get some power for our 2nd line, enough of the whole "stand pat" thing that he always does. But please, no more deals with Florida! Unless it's for Versteeg, just cut it out. <_<

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#138 canuckforlife91

canuckforlife91

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Canucks will never be a contender until they aquire a superstar. Last one they had was Bure. Cant win a cup with average goalies, an alright first line, and average 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines, hoping our defence shows up every game. They need to become big and nasty. There is way too much talent in the NHL, amongst other teams. Not to mention, AV needs to let the lines develop some chemistry, instead of changing line ups 3 and 4 times a game, cause they may be down a goal. Kas back with the twins, Sestito to the power play, parked in front of the net, and trade Schneider. We can talk about it on here, till we are blue in the face.
Aint going to happen

#139 canuckdiehard

canuckdiehard

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

All this crap about Vancouver fans doom& gloom, blow up the team, blah, blah, blah.... Whatever. I'm not asking for MG to destroy the team...but..... There are some pieces here that have to be moved.So get it done Mike, time is running out on this season, which is very short.Or just trade for picks, if that's what's got to be done.There is dead wood on the team.... Just do something!

#140 canuckforlife91

canuckforlife91

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

To start.
Put Kas back with the twins.
Park Sestito in front of the net on the PP
Trade Schneider, Lou can more than hold the fort.
Let the lines develop some chemistry, instead of continuously changing them up, especially during the game. Isnt that what practices are for?
Coaching is not rocket science, its about being consistant.
That is all.

#141 Walkin'2929

Walkin'2929

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

They won't make any significant changes. It's not a guts issue, it's a culture issue. The Canucks are not noted for making "big" changes.
Expect both Lu and Schneider to play the rest of the season together and into the Playoffs. One of those two goalies (probably Lu) will be traded before the end of the off-season. We will just have to see what we get back in return, or what changes happen through trade, but I don't expect anything earth shattering to occur.

#142 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

with the way the canucks are playing right now it is not hard to imagine that if things dont turn around

quickly then Gillis might be forced into making a big change to the team. now off the top of my head

there are really only two things the canucks could do that would make a significant enough impact:

1) trade one of their goaltenders

or

2) a coaching change

my question to you guys is what do you think is more likely to happen if the mediocre play continues.

my guess would be a coaching change, and someone i would consider for av's replacment is lindy ruff.

First of all a shortened season plays against Gillis. He's not scared of making a move. It's just Canucks fans have no clue when it comes to making any moves.
Why is Lindy Ruff the automatic replacement? What has he won? Did he have a chance to win?
New blood for the new NHL, the only answer.

Edited by aqua59, 10 March 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#143 Dr. J.

Dr. J.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

How many times does a hot goalie beat us? Weren't we supposed to have the best goalies?

I don't think Gillis has been with it this year and last. I remember he said he'd retire earlier than not; perhaps he will go first? Otherwise no changes happening, and if so look for dumb trade like Cody for kas type idea

I agree. Talk about a "hot goalie" is really just talk about an unimaginative and impotent offence.

#144 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

MayRay, Ballard, and a 2nd to Calgary for Iginla ...
Am I doing it right?
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#145 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm in the majority. Gilils won't have the guts to pull the trigger.
Posted Image

#146 Mrock-763

Mrock-763

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Aquilini may not care truly about the fans, but he knows that if this team doesn't make the playoffs, he is losing potential playoff revenue. Guaranteed if we fall out of playoff contention, expect something to happen. A coaching change will be the first step in the right direction, and then perhaps a big trade (Luongo or Schneider). I don't care who goes, they are both elite goalies, but this has got to end now. We badly need some scoring and having 10+ million tied up in goaltending isn't doing this team ANY good.

Posted Image
Props to Olias for providing me with this sick sig!

#147 Anubis61

Anubis61

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Trading a goalie isn't going to bring back a better goalie. Or a star D or FW that another team isn't willing to trade.

All aspects of this team are struggling. Goaltending, defence, offence, special teams ..... It's not a matter of tweaking or filling holes. It's not a good time for Vancouver to trade.

If the key players on the team aren't being utilized effectively in the regular season, why would anyone believe they will in the playoffs?

Thank you for this clever posting, I quite enjoyed the subtlety.

#148 wizardB

wizardB

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

As long as you fools keep buying tickets they are not going to change a thing except lower the payroll!!

#149 FaninON

FaninON

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

you are all idiots, almost as bad as Leaf fans. Next year we are "The team" in the worst cap position. We have to sign 11 players for less than 3.86 mil to make an NHL roster. Grow up and realise we need to bail on the twins experiment and start over.

#150 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

We're just a short 9 game win streak from the president's trophy, and everyone's panicking

:bigblush:
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.