The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the mediocre play continues will big changes be on the horizon?

Southpop45

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't expect any of the core pieces (except POSSIBLY a goalie) to go anywhere at the deadline (or soon), and that includes AV.

It's unfortunate that they've been playing below standards (and AV is responsible for over-shuffling the lines at times even when they were doing well, as well as mismanagement of players in not using the according to their skills IMO) but even if they decide to let him go it would be in the off-season but not now.

As for moving roster pieces I don't see much change in the major pieces either (unless it's to fill roster needs e.g. Cody for Kass), since he (like most other GM's) signs guys to big deals w/ NT/NMC's expecting that they'll do well and have time to gel together. Even when they're not playing at their best (like right now) it may be rash down the road just to trade them out of desperation when they'll be undervalued and receive less return than they can get. However, in general it's tough to really get more value given the roster currently in place:

Guys who are unlikely to be moved (e.g. with NT/NMC's):

Twins, Burr, Kes, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison (given that he has NTC Jason counts as part of this list.)

They've been the team's leaders, so while other teams may want them, moving them would affect team chemistry.

Nominal "Trade chips" due to sub-par performances with large salaries: Luongo (despite NTC), Booth, Raymond, Ballard, (Edler?) Most possible trade candidates, but their performance relative to their salary landed them on this list, so why would other teams value them more for bad play, heavy hit on their books, plus the cost they could be had in terms of assets? I'd say (if they're on the market) Edler then Lu would have the highest value, but (unless he's secretly Paul Holmgren) I don't see him moving Edler before his new deal is in place, and Lu's value is always a mystery. Ballard and Raymond are inconsistent and Booth came for Sturm and Samuelsson in a cap dump, so not exactly the most valuable, plus he may yet round into form with the right line-mates.

(Schneider may belong to this trade chip list yet, but for different reasons. He hasn't gotten the results yet, and management wanted to run with him in the future, hence the new deal to keep him here if/ when Lu gets moved. However, he may, based on potential bring them the biggest return, maybe after Edler).

Everyone else (Hansen, Higgins, Tanev, Lapierre, Schroeder, Weise, Sestito, Alberts, Barker) likely won't return as much value as MG would want even if they were traded, since they were either bargain bin pick-ups, UFA signings or signed to bargain/ EL contracts and they provide greater than fair value for what they're paid.

In short, I'm of the mindset that MG will continue to keep the core and value players, use the "overpaid's" instead of trading them off for lesser returns and at most only move Edler and a goalie (and an "overpaid" if there's a good return). However, if there's holes that can be filled by packaging off several pieces I hope he does it! Before that though, I think the best move (as I've always thought) would be to make lines out of guys whose skills complement their line-mates well.

Can't wait to see if anything happens, or if the team'll just play itself out of this "slump".

Holy crap some of you guys are negative.. Don't be rediculous, obviously if we continue to slide there will be changes. These guys are calculated professionals not blind NHL 13 dummies, they will do something if this turns into more than a slump. He's talking to GMs all the time about possibilities but he's not going to make a deal that doesn't make sense.

I understand this recent Canucks slump is stressing you out. It's ok, I'm pissed off too but we can blow up the team every time we lose a string of games.... Get real

Gillis doesn't have the balls to make a trade and make some bold moves. He promised bold moves when he was hired. The year before and during the cup run it seemed like every move he made worked out and the last 2 years it seems the moves he has made have made him gun shy.

He keeps waiting for a magical Luongo return in a trade that is never going to manifest itself. He struck out last year now he's trying to hit a home run.

Here's a bold move how about trading Kesler for younger better players? Holmgren had the balls to trade Richards in Philly why can't Gillis do the same in the off-season?

This teams window is closing unless they dramatically remake their roster. If he is content with their window closing he should go all in this year.

You people have such ridiculous expectations.

Drastic changes don't NEED to be made.

This team simply needs to start wining.

If any BIG moves happen. It'll be in the offseason.

If you do decide to move core players (ala Richards, Carter) you don't do it mid-season

where emotions come into play.

You sit back. Assess, assess and assess some more.

Then you make a move....only IF it's available.

This aint NHL 13. You don't make trades by simply snapping your fingers lol

Did the Kings look like contenders going into the playoffs last year?

I swear.. a lot of Nuck fans have zero perspective. Its constant doom and gloom with this fan base.

Come to reality and realize we arent going to win every game. Every team goes through its low points throughout a season.. we are in ours now, but a shift will come. I personally dont see any big changes on the horizon right now but it may change in a months time. My biggest concern is that Vignault isnt using Kassian and Garrison nearly as much as he should be, but im hoping that changes.

You'd think by now the Canuck fans would be used to mediocrity with a splash of hope thrown in every 10 years. MG and AV will do nothing but continue to deliver an average team that sells out on a continuous basis, has amazing corporate support and makes money. Why fix the business if it isn't broke?

Oh, for the fans! LOL, well they showed how much they care about the fans right?

Gillis does need to visit a dermatologist though. All this high stress has him with the reddest face in the NHL. That and the odd shot I guess. Kinda looks like Churchill (and we know what booze did to his complexion).

You'd think by now the Canuck fans would be used to mediocrity with a splash of hope thrown in every 10 years. MG and AV will do nothing but continue to deliver an average team that sells out on a continuous basis, has amazing corporate support and makes money. Why fix the business if it isn't broke?

Oh, for the fans! LOL, well they showed how much they care about the fans right?

Gillis does need to visit a dermatologist though. All this high stress has him with the reddest face in the NHL. That and the odd shot I guess. Kinda looks like Churchill (and we know what booze did to his complexion).

Let's not get too drastic here guys... We don't want him going crazy and trading someone we need to keep!

My bet is that he finally trades a goaltender, whether it be Cory or Lu I don't even care.

Either that or he trades Booth or Ballard (Which btw) have both proven to be useless, putting up crap points and are paid way too much for the role they play here in Vancouver. The rest of the team is fine and playing good in my eyes, even Raymond has proven himself to be at least worthy of our 3rd line if not on the left wing of the 2nd line with Kes as was originally intended. Maybe the rookies Kassian and Schroeder could be sent down for a while, but that's about it...

I do hope that MG does make a move or two and get some power for our 2nd line, enough of the whole "stand pat" thing that he always does. But please, no more deals with Florida! Unless it's for Versteeg, just cut it out. <_<

Canucks will never be a contender until they aquire a superstar. Last one they had was Bure. Cant win a cup with average goalies, an alright first line, and average 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines, hoping our defence shows up every game. They need to become big and nasty. There is way too much talent in the NHL, amongst other teams. Not to mention, AV needs to let the lines develop some chemistry, instead of changing line ups 3 and 4 times a game, cause they may be down a goal. Kas back with the twins, Sestito to the power play, parked in front of the net, and trade Schneider. We can talk about it on here, till we are blue in the face.

Aint going to happen

All this crap about Vancouver fans doom& gloom, blow up the team, blah, blah, blah.... Whatever. I'm not asking for MG to destroy the team...but..... There are some pieces here that have to be moved.So get it done Mike, time is running out on this season, which is very short.Or just trade for picks, if that's what's got to be done.There is dead wood on the team.... Just do something!

To start.

Put Kas back with the twins.

Park Sestito in front of the net on the PP

Trade Schneider, Lou can more than hold the fort.

Let the lines develop some chemistry, instead of continuously changing them up, especially during the game. Isnt that what practices are for?

Coaching is not rocket science, its about being consistant.

That is all.

Archived