The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler is costing us

Canuckler87

I think it was a mistake to extend elder at the start of the season. He seems to be way to satisfied out there. The payday he got seems to have drained his motivation & compete levels (typical athlete behaviour). We should have waited till maybe midseason or offseason because it just seems like he's in his own world out there now.

What i would suggest is to sit him out for a game. In the press box. Or atleast take his minutes down a significant amount. Give him the kick in the butt he needs to wake up & play better defensively. Tonight was not the only time his defense gaps have cost us. This cannot keep going on throughout the stretch drive & into the playoffs. AV must take care of it now. Maybe it's that he's trying too hard offensively? Either way he needs to be told to simplify his game defensively, and that the offense will surely follow. This is one of those times an organization has to take the reigns on a players performance so it doesn't become a permanent habit!

If you think Edler is bad, you don't watch enough hockey outside of the Canucks.

Sure he is making a few more mistakes than we'd like, but trading away a top 10 two-way D-man isn't usually the best option for a team trying to contend.

As for the goal against in overtime today vs CBJ, I'm wondering what Henrik and Tanev were doing on the play as much as Edler.

If you think Edler is bad, you don't watch enough hockey outside of the Canucks.

Sure he is making a few more mistakes than we'd like, but trading away a top 10 two-way D-man isn't usually the best option for a team trying to contend.

As for the goal against in overtime today vs CBJ, I'm wondering what Henrik and Tanev were doing on the play as much as Edler.

Edler is one of those players you cant criticize/ you cant not criticize.

talent wise he is up there, and that shields him from any calls to get benched/demoted.

But he just makes so many stupid mistakes and plays so inconsistently at times it gets really frustrating.

at the end of the day, when its all said an done; its fair to expect a little more consistent/ error free hockey from someone of his pedigree.

I remember one time an ex-GM was on the team 1040 (maybe Doug MacLean not sure though) and he said that in no way, no matter how badly he was playing, would you ever put one of your top players in the press box.

I know it's annoying and sometimes I too would like to see them sit out a game just to make a point but us fans so often forget this is a business. Think about the money that's paying the guy to do nothing, yikes! Maybe some coaches have done it but I doubt too many have without hearing from the GM or possible losing the player all together.

The chance of Edler being sat out is slim to none. Let's just hope he gets out of his funk otherwise we're doomed.

Edler is costing us is such a dumb comment. People lose credibility thinking one person makes the team lose. This team isn't based on one defenseman. If it was, than we have a serious issue. Whole team isn't good now, and isn't scoring enough, ie power play. We need stop these dumb threads that are repeated. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why the team is losing.

He scored 2 goals vs LA, and still managed to be the unanimous choice for the playoff plug award. It takes a special kind of awful to pull that off.

This is the guy, who while making a final rush to potentially tie the game, goalie pulled clock tickin down..shot the puck over the glass for a delay of game penalty...from his own zone....with zero forecheck....

...twice.

Archived