The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

vancouver Grinders should be the new team name

yete

But I don't see "grinders" as a bad thing. We had a team of "grinders" in '94 and nearly won the cup with them.

"Grinders", to me, implies that they're in there, grinding it out. Working hard. How can you have a problem with Hansen's game? Higgins has been a true asset in my mind. Lappy. Once the Booth floodgates open, I'd imagine we'll be rethinking that. He hasn't had much puck luck but when it comes, look out.

I don't make a negative connection with grinders.

Wow maybe me bitching about signing or trading for a true sniper or 2 for the past 3 years is finally starting to sink in. Either goalie will do the job, if the right D core shows up all we really need is a sure shot. The Sedin's as much as we all love them are not always the sure shot anymore, and that leaves.........

But I don't see "grinders" as a bad thing. We had a team of "grinders" in '94 and nearly won the cup with them.

"Grinders", to me, implies that they're in there, grinding it out. Working hard. How can you have a problem with Hansen's game? Higgins has been a true asset in my mind. Lappy. Once the Booth floodgates open, I'd imagine we'll be rethinking that. He hasn't had much puck luck but when it comes, look out.

We also had a scrappy 60 goal scorer. We also had Linden putting up 30+ goals, two other 20+ goal scorers, and a few more around 15, with loads of assists to boot.

Now we have David Booth going 20 games (including playoffs) with 1 goal, and people saying it's a matter of rust, or "puck luck." Last year, when he went a calendar month with scoring 2 or 3 goals, it was a different excuse. When he started the season on a 12 game goalless streak, it was something else.

We have Kesler who can't stay healthy.

We have Raymond who can't stand up.

We have an overpaid, under performing defense

We have grit, sure, but that grit is also COMPLETELY lacking in natural talent, except the Sedins. In 1994, our grit had talent and heart. Now we have grit, some talent, but very little heart.

We also had a scrappy 60 goal scorer. We also had Linden putting up 30+ goals, two other 20+ goal scorers, and a few more around 15, with loads of assists to boot.

Now we have David Booth going 20 games (including playoffs) with 1 goal, and people saying it's a matter of rust, or "puck luck." Last year, when he went a calendar month with scoring 2 or 3 goals, it was a different excuse. When he started the season on a 12 game goalless streak, it was something else.

We have Kesler who can't stay healthy.

We have Raymond who can't stand up.

We have an overpaid, under performing defense

We have grit, sure, but that grit is also COMPLETELY lacking in natural talent, except the Sedins. In 1994, our grit had talent and heart. Now we have grit, some talent, but very little heart.

If Raymond was skating on all fours he would still be one of our best players............you should watch more hockey my friend and learn that players in every team fall. It's what you are doing when you are upright that counts............and Raymond does more for this team than many on it who get a free pass night after night.

"I'm not singling Raymond out (if you read the rest of my post?) -- but it seems to me YOU'RE the one giving a free pass, probably because you've got a soft spot for his eyes, or something he did a few years ago to give you a sentimental attachment to him."

"We have Raymond who can't stand up"

Don't try to deflect your hockey ignorance/bias by using playground innuendo. It shows a lack of class AND maturity. My defence of Raymond, if you are interested, is because I am stuck with the old Scottish trait of defending the underdog. You should try it some time.

Here's a bit of after school homework for you. Study it and learn some humility as it seems your manners are out for a long lunch.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658655&navid=DL|VAN|home

Archived