The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The teams mentality is the problem.

dangler696969

It seems like ever since the Canucks lost to Boston in the SCF they have been a different team. Even last year when they were Presidents trophy winners, they rarely impressed and kind of just coasted through the season into the playoffs. We all know how that turned out...

I truly think that the stanley cup final messed with their heads. I'm talking about Bieksa, Burrows, the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis and most of all AV. We all hoped that after they lost in the final that they would bounce back even better then before, but that idea is quickly fading. If anything, the drive for hockey vanished that fateful day, and they realized that there are better and more important things than hockey, like wives, kids, vacation houses, private yachts, etc. And then of course we have Jesus boy David Booth sitting in the corner preaching that hockey is just a small part of his life and that the fans don't understand, and oh yeah how much he loves God and Jesus.

That brings me to AV. You can totally see that AV has lost the room. He made all of his core players way too comfortable with their jobs and status on the team. The entire core got complacent and since getting huge contracts and wives and kids they have lost their emotions that made them such an exciting team in the years leading up to 2012. AV needs to go so a new coach can come in and actually threaten some jobs that AV wouldn't have the guts to do. Im talking about you Edler.

I agree with you on most points. Simply havent seen any heart or hunger on the ice, not looking very good.

2011 was special, it just felt different (talking about the regular season) I honestly can't say I believe in blue this year so far. Sad to say, but its true. If the team doesnt seem to believe, it would be stupid for me to do so.

still relying on their lame "win it on the powerplay" bull, it's not working now and now they can't win games

learn how to play 5v5 ffs

pretty much played 5v5 most of the game against columbus and we lose, columbus is the WORST 5v5 team in the west right now

but they're pretty much a lock in for 3rd place I'm not too worried yet B)

We are now in a situation where losing our next game could put us out of 1st in the division for the first time in about 5 years. And no one seems to care. We played the worst team in the NHL last night, and not only did we lose, we deserved to lose, they payed far better than us. It's just crazy how far we've fallen since 2011.

your dead on. This team didnt have the grit or determination to beat the bruins but gillis has stayed with the same coach, same system, same core relatively. We need to change coaches and systems and maybe minor tweak in core to win. Kassian is a beast he should be sitting in front of net on pp getting garbage goals and playing with sedins. Our centers need to feed the d pucks for onetimers especially garrison, isnt that why we brought him here....???? edler either needs to be sat or traded hes playing so bad and no one s coming up with solutions especially the crappy coaches. If they dont adapt watch for a first round exit or worse.

I agree with some of your points but I think you have the wrong psychology.

I think the team realised having gone all the way to game 7 of the final that they took an absolute hammering. The realisation set in that the best of 7 format is a whole different game. Why because it wears the less physical players down and in some cases makes them irrelevant. What this leads to is the few physical players you do have trying to make up the deficit.

This team saw they couldn't come up with the game under the present rules and probably without realising it, stepped back.

A smart proactive GM in such a situation prioritises his roster and decides who is dispensable and goes out to upgrade the team.......not all at once but bit by bit.

For example take the 1st line, exceptional in regular season......disappointing in the SC. The Sedins NEEDED a big body who could snipe and not only protect them but to make space for them around the goal. I love Burr but he is NOT that player.

The 2ND line was the same. Kesler wrecked himself fighting his and others battles in that run. Booth was nowhere near the answer. Jagr or Clowe or Ryan was the answer. Especially if we were going to use the attributes of Raymond.

I could go on but I've said it all elsewhere. We needed a blood transfusion and we got a manicure. Gillis asleep at the wheel. The guy's sights are trained way too low for this team.

"This team didnt have the grit or determination to beat the bruins but gillis has stayed with the same coach, same system, same core relatively."

This is what annoys me. How can you say these things and NOT lay the blame at Gillis door? How the -------- can the coach insert grit, or change the core?

They had determination in spades by the way and plenty of grit they just didn't have enough big physical bodies.

Let me ask any of you who follow English Premier League soccer.

If Sir Alex Ferguson had been coach AND gm of the Canucks and they had fallen at the last hurdle in 2011 and shat the bed in 2012 how many of this team would be getting a third shot? Not damn many.

There's absolutely no urgency or care in this team to win games right now.

I have a feeling that will change come playoff time. We've seen the Canucks can dominate games and play well when it counts to them, and when they really want to. A good example? Look at our season series against Chicago. So far in two games we're 1-0-1 against a team that has throttled the entire league, yet we have 3 out of a possible 4 points against them so far. That included some clutch performances by a few players.

The Canucks know how to lift their game when they have to, and I'm sure they'll do so once Game 1 comes around.

I do believe that some of it is mental and complacency but I think it started before Boston, with Chicago. Part of doing a job means that, when you give 110% and come up short, with people devaluing what you have done and the effort that you've given, it's deflating. I am dealing with that on the jobsite and if there's no reward or acknowledgement at the end of a job well done, you lose motivation.

Any team that's been on top but has failed to win the SC likely would experience this...then you have to face going through the motions of trying to get back there...only to come so close? I do feel that psychologically, you lose some of that drive. But it boils down to love of the game...if you lose that, you're doomed. Each time the guys step out on the ice, it shouldn't be about the Cup, it should be about that game and being totally stoked to go hammer it out. To keep a one day/game at a time attitude and just enjoy the moment rather than looking too far down the road. Lu's a bit of a testament to that - when he gets too caught up in the "thinking/figuring out" part, it can divert some of the focus and become a distraction. Just do it, basically.

When you play for the absolute love and passion for the game, it becomes fun again. It falls into place instead of having to force it. I do wonder if some of the fun has been lost through coming up short and battling through some of the adversity that's obviously been a drain (and do know that the "yoga" deal was partly to infuse some in).

You can't ignite that spark for someone, it has to come from within. The guy's lives are changing too, with new babies, etc...perhaps the absolute love and joy that comes with that means the game isn't in the forefront like it was before? (Athough, Hansen says hi to that).

I may be the only one, but I'm still not freaking out or worried. Save it for the playoffs, then have it all fall into place.

I do believe that some of it is mental and complacency but I think it started before Boston, with Chicago. Part of doing a job means that, when you give 110% and come up short, with people devaluing what you have done and the effort that you've given, it's deflating. I am dealing with that on the jobsite and if there's no reward or acknowledgement at the end of a job well done, you lose motivation.

Any team that's been on top but has failed to win the SC likely would experience this...then you have to face going through the motions of trying to get back there...only to come so close? I do feel that psychologically, you lose some of that drive. But it boils down to love of the game...if you lose that, you're doomed. Each time the guys step out on the ice, it shouldn't be about the Cup, it should be about that game and being totally stoked to go hammer it out. To keep a one day/game at a time attitude and just enjoy the moment rather than looking too far down the road. Lu's a bit of a testament to that - when he gets too caught up in the "thinking/figuring out" part, it can divert some of the focus and become a distraction. Just do it, basically.

When you play for the absolute love and passion for the game, it becomes fun again. It falls into place instead of having to force it. I do wonder if some of the fun is being lost in the game (and do know that the "yoga" deal was partly to infuse some in).

I may be the only one, but I'm still not freaking out or worried. Save it for the playoffs, then have it all fall into place.

When you play for the absolute love and passion for the game, it becomes fun again. It falls into place instead of having to force it. I do wonder if some of the fun has been lost through coming up short and battling through some of the adversity that's obviously been a drain (and do know that the "yoga" deal was partly to infuse some in).

You can't ignite that spark for someone, it has to come from within. The guy's lives are changing too, with new babies, etc...perhaps the absolute love and joy that comes with that means the game isn't in the forefront like it was before? (Athough, Hansen says hi to that).

canucks are still contenders. But even if they weren't anymore there.is still reason to.cheer for your team. Look at Toronto Edmonton and Calgary how long did they suck for. We dont even suck yet.

Not saying your not sticking behind our team but just showing the way I see it.

The team seems content to win big regular season games... 2 years ago they wanted to win every game.

They don't have the drive, they don't want it. They can't flick a switch come playoffs... Doesn't work that way...

Guess they believe they should have won the scf... So that is enough for them? That is what it seems. The effort isn't there.

They need an sob in the room to drive them - maybe that was Kesler? When he came back from injury something seemed to change, he needed to take back control of the room?

I'm not suggesting that they'll flip a switch. I'm suggesting that, in previous years, they've crashed and banged their way to the top in regular season. They've put it all out there prior to getting there (to the playoffs). The comeback kids, who battled till the end in some games in order to win. Then the playoffs, and they go in depleted, already exhausted, beat up, etc. This year there's some sense that they're coasting. That they're not firing on all cylinders (I tend to agree). So maybe by the time they do wake up, it'll be just in time? Not that they say "ok, let's go now" but that it just sort of happens that way. They've always been slow starters, so maybe by the playoffs they'll be clicking again. That's my suggestion.

It seems like ever since the Canucks lost to Boston in the SCF they have been a different team. Even last year when they were Presidents trophy winners, they rarely impressed and kind of just coasted through the season into the playoffs. We all know how that turned out...

I truly think that the stanley cup final messed with their heads. I'm talking about Bieksa, Burrows, the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis and most of all AV. We all hoped that after they lost in the final that they would bounce back even better then before, but that idea is quickly fading. If anything, the drive for hockey vanished that fateful day, and they realized that there are better and more important things than hockey, like wives, kids, vacation houses, private yachts, etc. And then of course we have Jesus boy David Booth sitting in the corner preaching that hockey is just a small part of his life and that the fans don't understand, and oh yeah how much he loves God and Jesus.

That brings me to AV. You can totally see that AV has lost the room. He made all of his core players way too comfortable with their jobs and status on the team. The entire core got complacent and since getting huge contracts and wives and kids they have lost their emotions that made them such an exciting team in the years leading up to 2012. AV needs to go so a new coach can come in and actually threaten some jobs that AV wouldn't have the guts to do. Im talking about you Edler.

Archived