The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The teams mentality is the problem.

dangler696969

I'm not suggesting that they'll flip a switch. I'm suggesting that, in previous years, they've crashed and banged their way to the top in regular season. They've put it all out there prior to getting there (to the playoffs). The comeback kids, who battled till the end in some games in order to win. Then the playoffs, and they go in depleted, already exhausted, beat up, etc. This year there's some sense that they're coasting. That they're not firing on all cylinders (I tend to agree). So maybe by the time they do wake up, it'll be just in time? Not that they say "ok, let's go now" but that it just sort of happens that way. They've always been slow starters, so maybe by the playoffs they'll be clicking again. That's my suggestion.

"I would also be fine with Raymond,Higgins,Ballard,Booth being replaced. I like Booth's physical play though, especially in the playoffs"

Jeez I think I blinked and missed that. I did see Raymond and Ballard play worth a damn though.

Being in the NorthWest division has allowed the Canucks to basically coast into the playoffs and guarantee themselves a top 3 seed with a division title. Im hoping next year once the re-alignment kicks in and it gets more difficult for the Canucks with San Jose, Anaheim and LA joining the division, that they will get hungrier. I just don't see the killer mentality as I did the year we went to the SCF. The team doesn't seem as motivated. Hope that changes and we head into the playoffs rolling, not coasting, otherwise it will be the same result as last year.

This team needs to lose the "victim mentality" that it has cultivated over the past few years and start making other teams the victims. Or to quote Orval Tessier many years ago (speaking about his Blackhawks) "This team needs a heart transplant".

I've missed quite a few games this season...and I usually go out of my way to ensure I watch at least bits and pieces of most games.

When the team looks like they'd rather be doing something else, and you can tell there's no concentration or motivation within them, it kinda translates onto me as I feel like I could be doing much better things than watching an undedicated Canucks squad skating around, waiting for it to go to a S/O.

It's been disappointing, I've never been this pessimistic about the play-offs, and I'm one of those "We can win the cup this year" kind of person.. I seriously don't see us going far at all unless our coaching staff gets an overhaul or Gillis adds a couple of solid pieces at Trade Deadline.

Not trying to be a fair-weather fan, I still love this team. But when the team begins to lack passion, so do I.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but maybe it fits in here:

Canucks sued over $1.1 million hiring and firing of Chelsea F.C. sports shrink

The Vancouver Canucks put up more than $1.1 million to lure a world renowned sports psychologist away from Chelsea FC after last season, but employed him for only six months during the NHL lockout, according to a newly filed lawsuit.

Bruno Demichelis is suing the Canucks and owner Francesco Aquilini for allegedly being negligent in making “representations and promises” that convinced him to take the job.

“During the visit, Aquilini told the plaintiff that he was very concerned about the physical and psychological condition of the Canucks players, and the negative impact it had on their performance in the [2011] Stanley Cup final,” the B.C. Supreme Court lawsuit says.

Maybe they should have kept him around?

IMO the only way forward is to let AV go. For reasons already detailed. For all the chicken littles out there, remember what happened in New Jersey in the 1999-2000 season. Lou Lamoriello fired Ftorek with eight games left in the season. The Devils went on to win the Stanley Cup under the assistant Larry Robinson. Lamoriello had the balls to do what needed to be done. His was also a winning team but he had that sixth sense to KNOW that the team needed that kind of shake up. I pray that Gillis also has that kind of sixth sense.

But I'm not optimistic. I also fear that Gillis is resigned to having 4.5 to 5.5 million dollars wearing goalie pads watching from the bench all playoffs instead of getting some help we desperately need.

A change in coaching may be necessary, but i think a "new wave" of younger players must be injected into this team.

Look at the top teams in the league, they all have youth inserted, and are being used properly that fits their role

Montreal: Galchenyuk, Gallagher

Chicago: Saad, etc

Boston: Seguin, Hamilton

Anaheim: Fowler, etc

Unlike how AV uses Schroeder and Kassian, who are being used in the bottom 6 when their top 6 players

I would like to see some of these guys come into the line up next year (not all at once, but gradually)

Forwards:

N. Jensen: Obvious choice. I'm sure you've all seen his highlights. Pure scorer, could do wonders with the Sedins

B. Gaunce/S. Anthony/D. Archibald: Big strong players who can also provide scoring

Defence:

K. Connauton: Didn't he win AHL hardest slap shot? Could also be cheaper option than Ballard

Possible Forward Lineup?

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-N. Jensen

A. Burrows- R. Kesler- Z. Kassian

B. Gaunce- J. Schroeder- J. Hansen

D. Weise- M. Lapierre-T. Sestito

I wouldn't be as extreme but I am starting to agree with you in a sense. A GM's job is to assess his talent, compete level, leadership, chemistry, and mix of talent/roles on a team. Further, his job is not only to assess whether the coaching staff can get talent out of players, but use them in a manner to get even more than they are capable of/ aware of out of them...

If we look at Burke. I've said his error was made on day 1 in Toronto, not 2 years down the road etc. When he came in, he didn't want to accept that the team was not a couple trades away from the playoffs - perhaps ego or more likely, misjudgement of the talent, mix, all the things above. As a result, rather than gutting the team (which exhausted Toronto fans would have accepted and were actually calling for after the mess Ferguson left, he makes a decent but ill timed trade for Kessel. Ie giving up alot of the future, for a terrific hockey player but a guy who couldn't carry a team - great #2.). They could have had top 5 picks for years, years where guys like Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin, etc (all from Ontario as well) could have potentially been a leaf. Sorry to digress but this is related to MG.

MG did the very same thing after the finals. He overestimated his team, rather than really looking at why we lost. Yes we had a terrific run and how can you argue that the team wasn't amazing if it got to game 7? Only 2 teams did, so change? Well someone suggesting would say that's insane. However.

Error number 1:

Ehroff was a major part of that run. While I agree he was not worth what Buffalo paid him, MG did nothing to fill that void. Now Edler was looking like he could take over that role but he certainly has never shown that he has Ehroff level offensive skills - when he's on his game (and I think it will come back, I am an Edler fan), he is a terrific 2 way dman, but Erhoff added the closest thing we've had to a real offensive DMan this team has ever had. Never replaced.

Error 2:

Yes we were injured so that HAS to be a big part of any assessment/analysis. But I was at game 7. The compete level was not there. I played hockey competitive till 21 yrs old and honestly, it was depressing being in that building when Boston got up 2-0. The fans knew it was over and the TEAM did. They quit. That is the biggest thing MG did not recognize, hurt or not, you are at home, game 7, you break bones trying to win if you have to bc there is nothing left. MG didn't recognize that the character of this team was not strong, it was ok and one could argue weak but the team got hot at the right time. There is a big difference between character and hot. Character shows when you're down 2-0 in game 7, hot disappears.

Error 3:

After the LA series, not moving Lou immediately, getting rid of this circus for his and the team's sake. No need to get into that.

Error 4:

Adding fringe guys who don't fill the holes we need filled - reclamations vs being bold. Booth, Ballard, Sturm, on and on. This team has needed a 2nd line player with size for 5 years and yet nothing. You need to give something to get something but MG seems scared to make such a move. Instead he tinkers, looking for reclamations, and uses the SCF appearance as the rationale for tinkering. Well if that team had the character he's assuming it did, different issue but again he's misread that. So all he is doing is compounding his errors via taking on salaries not playing to their levels.

Error 5:

Not paying Torres. Here's a guy that brought emotion, a physical game, could score once in a while and hit. But we don't pay him 750 k more and then are trading for Dale Weisse? Tell me Torres doesn't bring more than Weiss? to a VERY important role. Again, understanding the character and makeup of his team, talent assessment. Wrong.

Error 6:

Thinking that 'quiet' leadership is all you need. The Sedins are terrific leaders, terrific people and terrific competitiors. But that is not all you need on a team. You need the intimidator, the guy who commands respect because of his grit, effort, determination. The Stan Smyl, the Linden, the (don't flame me) Messier. That emotional leader, the one who can push a guy into the locker with a look and make players accountable is what's missing. MG assumed that to be Kesler. But Kesler is proving to be a prima donna, I don't think the team would listen to him today because of it, they likely look at him like a whiny btch. His series against Nashville was supposed to be a coming out party, and I can see why MG thought, hey we have that emotional leader, but he is not a leader. His reaction to AV pressing him to get better, (compete level every night, passing etc) the fact it upset him says one thing (and don't for a second believe that all this stuff with his agent and the team / injury comments etc didn't start there), that he's not focused on continous improvement, he believes he is the man. You ever hear Crosby talk? he says stuff like "I need to work on my faceoffs, I need to work on this or that" . Kesler on the other hand - "AV can say what he wants about my passing" - see the difference? Leader/competitor/best in the world vs Prima Donna.

So error MG - assesment of Kesler.

End of this rant - simply put. MG has not assesed the makeup of this team correctly. He has misjudged its character, misjudged the roles players have played/importance and as result, you are now seeing a team with little chemistry, out of sorts and not enough character to compete at a level it should be able to compete at.

I've missed quite a few games this season...and I usually go out of my way to ensure I watch at least bits and pieces of most games.

When the team looks like they'd rather be doing something else, and you can tell there's no concentration or motivation within them, it kinda translates onto me as I feel like I could be doing much better things than watching an undedicated Canucks squad skating around, waiting for it to go to a S/O.

It's been disappointing, I've never been this pessimistic about the play-offs, and I'm one of those "We can win the cup this year" kind of person.. I seriously don't see us going far at all unless our coaching staff gets an overhaul or Gillis adds a couple of solid pieces at Trade Deadline.

Not trying to be a fair-weather fan, I still love this team. But when the team begins to lack passion, so do I.

which = acceptance of mediocre play.

I ask people this. Would (again don't flame me).....Mark Messier (when he was in NY -so a team comparable to this) after having 3 regulation wins in the last ten, and playing like crap, and losing to the worst team in the league, ever say "well we got a point, and have to give the other team credit, etc etc"

HELL NO, he'd be pissed, say its unacceptable, we need to be better if we want to be in the running for the cup, this is garbage.

the ONLY players I have seen take ownership this season are those playing the best.

Schnieds, Lou and Higgins and Tanev in their interviews post Columbus. Everyone else, using excuses. And while you can say its keeping the crap in house, their play is following their words on camera, so I can't beleive those words are being said in the room very assertively.

Complacency. Its what happens when things become severely repetitive. Winning has been a blessing/curse for this team and the fact that we've won games this year has been strictly based on skill compared to drive for success and improving upon ones abilities. For anyone here who's played any kind of competitive team-based sports knows that lack of motivation comes from lack of discipline. I've also noticed that it looks like Alain can't put the foot down when its necessary. It almost seems as if they are too much like friends. To be competitive and win, you need discipline. To get discipline, you need "punishment" for misdeeds or mistakes. After you've achieved all of this, the team should share the same mindset to win. The Oilers are an example of this.

Who is to blame? No one and everyone. The finger is so easily pointed at individuals that we forget its the organization itself that needs to kick itself in the rear. Maybe we need new coaches. Maybe we need louder, more intense players. Or maybe its just something else entirely. Only the right moves and timing will tell. One thing is clear, however. This team has lost the will to claw for every inch. To fight for the sport they grew up worshipping. When that left, all that remained was the memories of what was instead of what should/could be. I love this team. I have since my dad bought me my first stick and canucks jersey in the early 90's. I will continue to love it until the day Im buried. Unfortunately, their lack of emotion on the ice is making for a lack of attention off the ice for me. Im hoping things will get better sooner than later.

I ask people this. Would (again don't flame me).....Mark Messier (when he was in NY -so a team comparable to this) after having 3 regulation wins in the last ten, and playing like crap, and losing to the worst team in the league, ever say "well we got a point, and have to give the other team credit, etc etc"

HELL NO, he'd be pissed, say its unacceptable, we need to be better if we want to be in the running for the cup, this is garbage.

the ONLY players I have seen take ownership this season are those playing the best.

Schnieds, Lou and Higgins and Tanev in their interviews post Columbus. Everyone else, using excuses. And while you can say its keeping the crap in house, their play is following their words on camera, so I can't beleive those words are being said in the room very assertively.

I do believe that some of it is mental and complacency but I think it started before Boston, with Chicago. Part of doing a job means that, when you give 110% and come up short, with people devaluing what you have done and the effort that you've given, it's deflating. I am dealing with that on the jobsite and if there's no reward or acknowledgement at the end of a job well done, you lose motivation.

Any team that's been on top but has failed to win the SC likely would experience this...then you have to face going through the motions of trying to get back there...only to come so close? I do feel that psychologically, you lose some of that drive. But it boils down to love of the game...if you lose that, you're doomed. Each time the guys step out on the ice, it shouldn't be about the Cup, it should be about that game and being totally stoked to go hammer it out. To keep a one day/game at a time attitude and just enjoy the moment rather than looking too far down the road. Lu's a bit of a testament to that - when he gets too caught up in the "thinking/figuring out" part, it can divert some of the focus and become a distraction. Just do it, basically.

When you play for the absolute love and passion for the game, it becomes fun again. It falls into place instead of having to force it. I do wonder if some of the fun has been lost through coming up short and battling through some of the adversity that's obviously been a drain (and do know that the "yoga" deal was partly to infuse some in).

You can't ignite that spark for someone, it has to come from within. The guy's lives are changing too, with new babies, etc...perhaps the absolute love and joy that comes with that means the game isn't in the forefront like it was before? (Athough, Hansen says hi to that).

I may be the only one, but I'm still not freaking out or worried. Save it for the playoffs, then have it all fall into place.

I think i know what AV needs to do with the canucks. he needs to sit them all together in the locker room and get them to all be quiet and then he needs to play chelsea dagger. im dead serious that should fire up the canucks.

Archived