The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Missing Bieksa Badly

DownUndaCanuck

I'll admit I used to hate on Bieksa the last 3 seasons for some of his really stupid defensive plays. Sure he's always been a clutch scorer and big-time performer, but that never made up for his brain-farts in his own zone.

This season though, Kevin is playing a much more physical, solid defensive brand of hockey while putting up career offensive numbers at the same time. He's really become a leader on this defence.

I just wanted to highlight the effect his absence has on this team, particularly the defence that quite frankly looks lost without its only right-handed shooter.

In the last 5 games without Bieksa playing, the Canucks are a perfect 0-3-2. No wins. Of course he came back for the L.A match, a game against a team that had won 5 straight, had the two hottest scorers in Carter (6 game goal streak on the line) and Kopitar (almost 2 points per game in his last 5 games) and Bieksa and co. throttled the Champs 5-2.

Now in those last 5 games here's how our defence fared. We were outscored 10-20 and here were our defender's +/- ratings:

Edler: -4

Tanev: -2

Hamhuis: even

Garrison: even

Alberts: -1

Ballard: -4

This team shouldn't depend on one guy so badly. If we can't deal with injuries right now, we won't deal with them well in the playoffs. Hopefully it's nothing worse, like the fact that the other defenders NEED a right handed defenceman for the lefties to be comfortable, or MG will have to go find one.

I said this in the PGT and fully support it.

People don't always see Bieksa for what he is - which is a big part of the backbone of this team. He's a bit of a conductor and, without him, the supporting cast lacks direction.

Bieksa has made a conscientious effort in his career to develop in playing to his strengths. He likes to jump up into the play but doesn't just do so - he tries to choose exactly when by only attempting to get involved offensively if he believes he'll get to the puck without it creating a defensive problem. It's taken some work to do that.

His balance in that does make him pretty valuable...I honestly think the guy could be a forward.

Is he the be all to end all and savior of the team? No. But I do think that he's a missing piece to making this puzzle complete and when he's missing, the team doesn't function as well as a whole.

The Canucks are missing alot of things. Leadership seems to be one of them. I think Bieksa is a huge part of that on the ice.

This team needs a serious injection of talent though. Only question is does MG have the balls to do it? Or is he going to go shopping in the bargain bin come trade deadline?

I'll admit I used to hate on Bieksa the last 3 seasons for some of his really stupid defensive plays. Sure he's always been a clutch scorer and big-time performer, but that never made up for his brain-farts in his own zone.

This season though, Kevin is playing a much more physical, solid defensive brand of hockey while putting up career offensive numbers at the same time. He's really become a leader on this defence.

I just wanted to highlight the effect his absence has on this team, particularly the defence that quite frankly looks lost without its only right-handed shooter.

In the last 5 games without Bieksa playing, the Canucks are a perfect 0-3-2. No wins. Of course he came back for the L.A match, a game against a team that had won 5 straight, had the two hottest scorers in Carter (6 game goal streak on the line) and Kopitar (almost 2 points per game in his last 5 games) and Bieksa and co. throttled the Champs 5-2.

Now in those last 5 games here's how our defence fared. We were outscored 10-20 and here were our defender's +/- ratings:

Edler: -4

Tanev: -2

Hamhuis: even

Garrison: even

Alberts: -1

Ballard: -4

This team shouldn't depend on one guy so badly. If we can't deal with injuries right now, we won't deal with them well in the playoffs. Hopefully it's nothing worse, like the fact that the other defenders NEED a right handed defenceman for the lefties to be comfortable, or MG will have to go find one.

Bieksa's definitely a big part. Edler has been playing two many minutes....28 against SJ and 26 against CLB. The good news is Tanev is developing into a quality top-four defensemen. Once Bieksa is back, we'll have 5 top-four calibre d men which should get everyone's ice time down.

I said this in the PGT and fully support it.

People don't always see Bieksa for what he is - which is a big part of the backbone of this team. He's a bit of a conductor and, without him, the supporting cast lacks direction.

Bieksa has made a conscientious effort in his career to develop in playing to his strengths. He likes to jump up into the play but doesn't just do so - he tries to choose exactly when by only attempting to get involved offensively if he believes he'll get to the puck without it creating a defensive problem. It's taken some work to do that.

His balance in that does make him pretty valuable...I honestly think the guy could be a forward.

Is he the be all to end all and savior of the team? No. But I do think that he's a missing piece to making this puzzle complete and when he's missing, the team doesn't function as well as a whole.

Bench Edler! Yes, we need Bieksa's experience and toughness on the back end. Keeping Edler for his big pp shot is stupid. He can't hit the net. Isn't fast enough to readjust at the blue line and find a shooting lane. He either gets his shots blocked (most of the time) or he misses the net by 5 feet.

Bieksa is a huge part of this team and has been for a long time. There is a reason why he is one of Don Cherrys favorites and mine as well. He plays a physical all around in your face game and brings it every night. Yes he is prone to some bad plays, but has really seemed to put that behind this year. The guy brings a never quit, work your ass off attitude and holds the other team accountable.

He can hit, play defence, add offense, fight when needed and provide leadership by example. You can tell he has a good sense of humour and is really liked by his teammates for what he brings and how he does it. He is a no BS kind of guy and has the respect of his teammates and it shows.

While Im not bashing Henrik, Bieksa could easily be the Captain of this team and rightfully so.

Hopefully his injury isnt too serious and we get him back soon. Look at our record without him.

What this team needs is a few more players like Bieksa who give it there all night in and night out and leave nothing on the table.

The Canucks are missing alot of things. Leadership seems to be one of them. I think Bieksa is a huge part of that on the ice.

This team needs a serious injection of talent though. Only question is does MG have the balls to do it? Or is he going to go shopping in the bargain bin come trade deadline?

I have always been a Bieksa supporter.

He is the heart and soul of this team and when he is out, this team looks lost. You should be able to have other players step in and cover while he is out but for whatever reason, our so called 'top notch defense that is one of the best' is proving to be inept.

Archived