The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Majority of Canadians want fighting ban

Dedalus

Upon reflection, I'd have to agree with you Forsy. Harding would be more of a rat than an enforcer...she hid behind the goons (her boyfriend) who whacked Kerrigan's knee...is there a stabbing incident Harding was involved with?

• 6 months later...

The only Canadians who want a fighting ban live in TO. The Laffers have a rep for diving under the bench when the going gets tough. The 'banners' are people who never played the game and their vote should be worth a quarter of any true blue player who has actually laced them up. What a joke.

Im not sure that people who want fighting out of the game , actually understand the game ... there is a code , and honour in this sport , and a humility which is rarely seen in many other orginized competitions .. I believe there is purpose in it , and there is also huge entertainment value ..

Fights are awesome. It pumps up the players and fans, an also keeps some players in check. If players are willing to fight each other, who are you to say they can't? And if you asked Canadian hockey fans if they like the fighting in the game, the majority will say they do. I don't care what some random internet poll says.

I dont think there should be a ban on fighting because, in my opinion, fighting is part of hockey.

Are there rules against it? Sure, but there are also rules against tripping, hooking, charging, boarding, etc... One can even argue that icing is technically against the rules. There are many things that are against the rules in hockey...and there are penalties for breaking those rules. Some come with stiffer penalties than others. Fighting is no different.

Isnt that why the rulebook has specific rules/penalties on fighting...because it is, in fact, been accepted as part of the game?

lololol

Don't trust these so called "polls" that people want fighting banned. I'd imagine they've polled everyone, including non-hockey fans. Every hockey fan I've ever met is massively in favour of fighting as a tradition. It's probably like 80% in favour.

Do you need any more evidence other than the crowd going wild during fights? If the crowd loves it, does that mean they're 'wrong' and this 'I told you so' poll is right? Please. Take the BS elsewhere.

The only Canadians who want a fighting ban live in TO. The Laffers have a rep for diving under the bench when the going gets tough. The 'banners' are people who never played the game and their vote should be worth a quarter of any true blue player who has actually laced them up. What a joke.

Angust Reid Forum 2009 Study (Canadians Generally Support Ban

on Fights in Professional Hockey): http://www.angus-rei...3.17_Hockey.pdf

Angus Reid Forum 2011 Study (Canadians, Hockey Fans Want to Ban Head Shots from the Game): http://www.angus-rei...-from-the-game/ (with PDF of breakdown of panelists surveyed; including fighting in NHL here: http://www.visioncri..._Hockey_CAN.pdf)

Archived