The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Majority of Canadians want fighting ban

Dedalus

remember no one is forcing these players to fight... they want to.... no one is forcing the fans to stand up and cheer when it happens but they do because they like it. everyone got scared because of a knock out.. i loved the knock out thats the main goal in any fight to land a knock out punch. once 2 players drop their gloves to fight no one should expect anything less then what u see in boxing or MMA.. its 2 huge grown men throwing punches at eachother for millions of dollars. besides an OT goal or a shootout nothing else brings fans to their feet quicker than a good old fight!

I don't mean to be rude but whenever I see a new member make a thread like this I tend to believe that person signed up for that sole expressed purpose.

I don't know if that's true in your case but I have no doubt that survey companies hired by the NHL or other advocacy groups routinely probe sites like this to both gauge opinion and to sway it.

Just putting it out there.

I played both contact and non-contact hockey in my youth. I play beer league now. If you take contact out of younger leagues you will notice the "house hockey" symptom. Cheap shots go up. Who's gonna get upset enough to whack someone with a stick or glove when you can just give him a stiff shoulder check? also, learning how to take contact takes time. you dont wanna throw a bunch of 150 pound kids into contact hockey, someone will get hurt. Do it when they are smaller and can't do any real damage.

As far as fighting goes, it's the same thing. you take fighting out and i guarentee youl see a whole lot more slough foots and other cheap crap. Im on the fence about the instigator rule. If someone does something cheap to you, youd better be willing to back it up with a fight.

Heck ive even seen fights in my beer league (where fighting is banned) because people were being un-safe and needed to be educated with fists. you sit the rest of the game as payment for your educating.

Fighting isnt going anywhere and the sooner you expose kids to contact, the safer they will be when they get bigger and faster.

Im so sick and tired of bleading heart soccer moms trying to mess with an already neutered contact sport. Go play something else if you dont like hockey. The rest of us like a sport with some nasty.

yes but is it Canadians or Canadian Hockey fans?? The main argument is that there is no point of fighting in hockey... but really is there a point to fighting at all? I'm sorry if the sole argument is that people will get hurt and that it doesn't serve a purpose then media should be focusing on Boxing and UFC first... if there is no point to fighting in hockey there is no point to these sports either... I think the people who's opinion matter are those who actually do it for a living... would a boxer say boxing is pointless or an MMA fighter say fighting in the UFC is pointless?

They should take a poll of NHL enforcers and see what percent of them want fighting banned from hockey... or even NHL hockey players in general (this would be a lot more telling). These are the people it affects most, if they want it banned it should be... if they want it to stay again it should.

I went and read this ultra biased article that read like a campaign infomercial to ban fighting rather than fact.

It sources an 'online' poll which becomes impossible to verify if the respondents are adults and if some dont even like fighting , as most women do not.

Actual male hockey fans, as well as hockey players produce a 95% approval of fighting in the game. Or at least it was last time the issue came up.

They certainly didnt wait for the juiciest moment possible, replaying an almost never happens knock out over and over to milk the reaction even more.

The scripted "I'm this team's tough guy and I need to fight you to stay in the lineup" fights can go for all I care, but the spontaneous fights that happen after a long hard game/series of two teams or players getting under each others skin should remain a part of hockey.

I don't want fighting banned - I just want the punishment increased.

Hockey is the only non fighting sport that condones fighting.

All other non fighting sports (football, rugby, soccer, cricket, baseball, basketball, etc), the punishment for fighting is ejection from the game.

Unlike boxing or UFC for example, you don't get any points for fighting in a hockey game.

I don't care about the "it's always been there" crap. Just because it's there doesn't make it right.

"take it away and cheap shots increase" - really? Based on what? There is no evidence for that.

If fighting is part of the game, then why are there no fighting drills in any minor hockey coaches manuals?

Why don't we teach young players to fight as part of a practice?

Because fighting is not part of the game - it's part of the blood thirsty entertainment factor and some times it's just 2 players who can't control their emotions...

I don't mean to be rude but whenever I see a new member make a thread like this I tend to believe that person signed up for that sole expressed purpose.

I don't know if that's true in your case but I have no doubt that survey companies hired by the NHL or other advocacy groups routinely probe sites like this to both gauge opinion and to sway it.

Just putting it out there.

I am sorry but this biased truck load of feces reeks to high heaven. No fighting , no fans plain and simple. Hockey is modern day gladiatorial games. Taking the fight out would be like taking the sword out of the gladiators hands. Never gonna happen. All we need is the instigator rule gone and I guarantee you the checks to the head and from behind disappear because of the fear of being policed. It is the only answer apart from firing the commish and getting a true man who has played the game in the seat that understands that fighting is integral to this beautiful game.

Put me in the column against this! Take out the instigator penalty let guys who take runs or cheap shots or whatever be held accountable by force! Hockey is a physical game sometimes even violent, there needs to be more respect given. Give the players a role in policing themselves.

I've been a die hard hockey fan for the past 10 years. But I grew up outside of North America for the first 15 years of my life being a die hard fan of soccer (still am) so I can look at this from different perspectives.

I personally would support a ban on fighting if it ever came to voting... I think it's barbaric to have that in a sport that's not about fighting (as opposed to boxing or UFC), specially after witnessing so much damage to the players. But it doesn't stop me from watching hockey either. To me it's not a big part of the game and if they players don't care about their safety then I won't bother either and will just enjoy the game.

My only beef is with people who want fighting to stay only because of "tradition". My personal opinion is that "tradition" is not a good enough reason to not improve something, just because you want it to stay the same for nostalgic purposes. But that's my personal opinion and I apply to my everyday life as well... just cuz the people before me have done something a certain way, doesn't mean I shouldn't think about how I can do it better (in work, entertainment, religion, etc.)

If the instigator rule was removed, fighting would keep the players honest. All the Cooke's and Kaleta's of the league would be ragdolled and beaten down when they took liberties out on the ice. That's how you cut down on repeat offenders. No one gives a crap about a phone call from Brendan Shanahan.

Archived