The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Majority of Canadians want fighting ban

Dedalus

Survey to hockey players and fans instead of 'specific samples'...you will the find the majority want fighting in the game. I've talked with maybe 6 or 7 people about fighting in hockey. Only 1 opposed to it actually played hockey.

I doubt the authenticity of this poll. All those quoted are anti-fighting people. I don't think it's a realistic survey of hockey fans. Not even the majority of those surveyed were 'self-described hockey fans', and those who were were a select sample. Sounds fishy.

Also, bodychecking out of peewee? Are you serious?

I heard that 2/3 of Canadians want fighting banned ( they were talking about it on Sportsnet) but I find that very hard to believe. I dont think I know 1 Canadian who is a hockey fan that wants it banned. I have a feeling that it is a biased survey done by a group that wants it banned and is targeting like minded people for their surveys.

No! Fighting keeps players "honest" to some extent. I really think they need to dump the suspension for a player leaving the bench. When a star player has a cheap shot taken at him, the offender must have his ass beat immediately and properly. Like when Keith elbowed Daniel, someone (Kassian) should've been over the boards and beating that stupid redneck senseless. Players need to be held accountable on the ice, if you remove fighting from the game it will be a free for all cheap shot extravaganza.

In what Crazy world are you living in that you inferred his post to mean that? :picard:

Here is a simple solution to those who don't want to see fighting in the NHL: If you are watching hockey and a fight breaks out ------ wait for it -------- DON'T WATCH.

Go to a game and watch what happens when a fight breaksout... 18,000 + fans to their feet, both teams on the benches standing and banging their sticks against the boards... every person in the building is watching that.... besides shootouts and goals (maybe big saves) I don't think there is anything else that gets everyones attention like that.

No! Fighting keeps players "honest" to some extent. I really think they need to dump the suspension for a player leaving the bench. When a star player has a cheap shot taken at him, the offender must have his ass beat immediately and properly. Like when Keith elbowed Daniel, someone (Kassian) should've been over the boards and beating that stupid redneck senseless. Players need to be held accountable on the ice, if you remove fighting from the game it will be a free for all cheap shot extravaganza.

I've been a die hard hockey fan for the past 10 years. But I grew up outside of North America for the first 15 years of my life being a die hard fan of soccer (still am) so I can look at this from different perspectives.

I personally would support a ban on fighting if it ever came to voting... I think it's barbaric to have that in a sport that's not about fighting (as opposed to boxing or UFC), specially after witnessing so much damage to the players. But it doesn't stop me from watching hockey either. To me it's not a big part of the game and if they players don't care about their safety then I won't bother either and will just enjoy the game.

My only beef is with people who want fighting to stay only because of "tradition". My personal opinion is that "tradition" is not a good enough reason to not improve something, just because you want it to stay the same for nostalgic purposes. But that's my personal opinion and I apply to my everyday life as well... just cuz the people before me have done something a certain way, doesn't mean I shouldn't think about how I can do it better (in work, entertainment, religion, etc.)

I don't mean to be rude but whenever I see a new member make a thread like this I tend to believe that person signed up for that sole expressed purpose.

I don't know if that's true in your case but I have no doubt that survey companies hired by the NHL or other advocacy groups routinely probe sites like this to both gauge opinion and to sway it.

Just putting it out there.

I personally would support a ban on fighting if it ever came to voting... I think it's barbaric to have that in a sport that's not about fighting (as opposed to boxing or UFC), specially after witnessing so much damage to the players. But it doesn't stop me from watching hockey either. To me it's not a big part of the game and if they players don't care about their safety then I won't bother either and will just enjoy the game.

op is looking for feedback and it is their first post. yes their, sounds like someone is bating the board.

if i just released some bogus poll, got it on sportsnet and wanted to know how worked up hockey fans got about it. i think i would start a profile, write a long blog, and watch the fun.

question is who. could this be the league looking for fodder for more control of the players?

Meh I could care less what a bunch of do-gooder white knight softies think...fighting is part of hockey. Even if this highly biased article is true, but how many of the people responding to the poll are die hard hockey fans? I bet the vast majority of people who responded that fighting should be banned in hockey are people that don't watch hockey on a regular basis. The people that make decisions about hockey should be people that are heavily involved in the game. Currently I believe 99% of NHL players are in favour of keeping fighting, that should tell you something. If you don't like it, don't watch it, plain and simple. Whoever wrote this article can stick it up their ass.

The NHL will never ban fighting. If you watch the excitment that the combative role plays you would understand this game. Rarely do the players seriously injure themselves, but it can have a decisive role in wins and loses. The spark that it gives the players on the bench can ignite them to victory. My opinion as a lifelong hockey fan is that if fighting was banned, I would not enjoy the game anynmore.

I am sorry you and the other user have had experiences that have made both of you question someone trying to offer a discussion with some substance without thinking there must be some hidden agenda.

Fortunately, I am a real person. No one paid me anything and no company or big corporation paid me anything to come and post here or sign up to this forum.

I am a man of science for the most part. I like to have interesting conversations, like I said. Maybe few people in sport's forums do try to offer depth or detailed discussions. There is no need to talk of conspiracy theories. However, you'll find that I do not easily believe stats or what I hear or see on TV or on the Web. I am a sceptic.

I thought this would be a great conversation starter. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You know, healthy dialogue.

I'm much more of an observer, anyway.

Hockey is great. I've watched all but a couple of periods from two games (of the Canucks, obviously). I've even worn Canucks gear for almost every game. I try to learn about the game as much as time permits.

But you know, one thing is, my friends and I; we are not very aggressive people to begin with (we're in our late 20s and 30s, if that matters). Fighting is part of the game, but it doesn't mean we can't have some meaningful discussion about it over a beer. We like to enjoy the game. We're not the most boisterous guys, though we cheer on our team in good and bad times.

Archived