The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Majority of Canadians want fighting ban

Dedalus

Fighting prevents anger, jealousy and other seething emotions to be released in an extreme way. Instead of dealing a very dirty retaliation to the opposing player doing an injustice, the fight negates the bad emotions. Future retaliations will be lessened as a result. I don't want fighting in the game - I want pure strategy, maneuver, shooting, hitting, perfect rules enforcement, etc. BUT:

-You have the refs that are human and cannot be perfect in their enforcement.

-You have biased refs who act like children, and can't seem to grow up and treat people fairly when it doesn't suit their ego.

-You have the need for the game to be entertaining - and not be whistled down every 5 seconds for an infraction.

-Even if the players ended up being perfect followers of the law, you will get a lot more hesitation during play, a lot more teams looking to avoid putting their team on the PK as opposed to teams looking to win.

Because of the realities of humanity, the fighting is what makes the Canadian hockey game better than many sports, and less diving-based, even though it has begun to have a growing amount of diving.

I have to say, I've been a hockey fan all my life and I've talked to hundreds if not thousands of people about hockey. I think the poll numbers are incorrect. I'm sure a lot of 'self described' hockey fans (probably not) and casual hockey fans might not understand or appreciate that aspect of hockey.... but all one has to do is attend a game at ANY Canadian arena.

That's right, attend an actual game, then see what happens when a fight breaks out. There isn't 2/3rds of the audience sitting there in disapproval. The poll has a lot of methodological errors and doesn't reflect what the core fans of the NHL want, period. Whenever I've been to actual games, the majority of the crowd is on their feet and cheering on these fights.

I was at the Dallas vs. Vancouver game at home when Henrik broke the scoring record for the Canucks organization, and there were 3 quick fights in succession. That game was one of the most exciting ones I've seen in my entire life, and I wouldn't change the way the fighting is right now at all. If people don't want such things, I'd recommend watching European pro-hockey. I'd prefer the manly, rugged brand of hockey we enjoy in Canada as it stands as opposed to the overly regulated, sissy-fest that is soccer and the like. Maybe I'm the only person who feels that way and I'm a 'dinosaur', but whatever.

So far, I've not read anyone except one or two persons make compelling arguments in favour of fighting. I would like to reply to these people, but for now I will reply to Boudrias.

Anyone who has played the game understands that hockey is the physical struggle of overcoming brute force with finess and thereby achieving the victory. The game really is not about fans who sit in the stands and have never experienced that physical challenge. I credit the player who plays the body and yes even fights at times as well as the fast outside player who cuts to the net and roofs a backhand. For evey Hank Sedin there is a Shawn Thorton. They each make their contribution to the game.

Hockey is entertainment. We, the fans, in every sports, are pigs and rednecks when it comes to entertainment. We wanna see emotion, we wanna see fights, is it right? no, but the majority of people don't care. In all honestly, sadly, no one gives a crap about anyone else but themselves, family, and friends. It's only the minority that really care, and many people who say it, do it just because they are taught that it's the right thing to do. This also branches out and applies to major problems such as bullying, racism, stereotypes, homophobic, etc. Lets face it, those things unfortunately will never change. The majority of the population are followers and cannot think for themselves. That is why, you see these irrational responses over and over again.

So what do you do? Take out the instigator and let the goons pay for their actions. Violence doesn't solve anything? Sure it does. Whether or not you like fighting, there will always be some questionable plays in physical sports. It's up to the players to step up and do what's right. Fighting is an option, it's not mandatory Enter at your own risk.

Personally, I can't watch the UFC because it's too violent. I'm just not a fan of cheering for someone to beat the crap out of another human being. It's inhumane but with the NHL, it is so crucial to be able to play the game of hockey, itself. With the skill, and speed of the game continue to grow, we're going to see a lot less super heavy weights. There's a lot more hugging, dancing, going around when it comes to fights. Rarely do you see K-O's. I do think, the NHL is much cleaner than it used to be, so that's good.

Fighting is apart of the game in the NHL and I think it will remain that way. Mandatory visors is the thing to be discussed IMO, not the fighting.

If any changes were to be made, I think introducing what the SEL do with fighting, 5min + Game Misconduct. To atleast reduce the amount of fights (don't know why anyone would want that)

I heard that 2/3 of Canadians want fighting banned ( they were talking about it on Sportsnet) but I find that very hard to believe. I dont think I know 1 Canadian who is a hockey fan that wants it banned. I have a feeling that it is a biased survey done by a group that wants it banned and is targeting like minded people for their surveys.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Meh I could care less what a bunch of do-gooder white knight softies think...fighting is part of hockey. Even if this highly biased article is true, but how many of the people responding to the poll are die hard hockey fans? I bet the vast majority of people who responded that fighting should be banned in hockey are people that don't watch hockey on a regular basis. The people that make decisions about hockey should be people that are heavily involved in the game. Currently I believe 99% of NHL players are in favour of keeping fighting, that should tell you something. If you don't like it, don't watch it, plain and simple. Whoever wrote this article can stick it up their ass.

There is no way this is the consensus of true hockey fans...but rather a random poll taken from people walking down the street asking if the like fighting or not...of course no one likes fighting.  

What we as hockey fans approve of is the ability of a player to defend his team mate, let another player know that his questionable act will not go unpunished.  98% of fights are toe to toe and agreed apon with honor.

Whats next...no hitting in football?  Apologizing the the golf ball after hitting it,  a fine for smashing a tennis racket?  This is competitive sport with so much on the line that the average person couldnt even fathom what its like.

Imagine walking to the grocery store to get food for your family...in which you only have six minutes to do so or your kids go hungry.  Then have someone run up and trip you and try and steal your food.  Are you going to let him have it and starve your family....No..your going to fight him....and no one would fault you for it.

Lastly...if you don't like it...I understand and I have a solution for you.  Don't watch and don't force your opinions down my throat.  Thank you.

Hockey is basically a "man's" game. Men were born to be savages, hunters, warriors and fighters. If you take the fighting out of hockey, then you might as well replace the puck with a sponge ball and give the men plastic sticks, lose the pads and take out body checks as well.

Oh, and perhaps you could have a knitting bee at center ice as punishment for breaking your new rules.

Sure, women play hockey, and they play it well. If you don't want fighting in the game, then perhaps you should watch the women's version of hockey.

Why do people always want to "improve" the game by changing it. Hockey was designed to be a masculine sport. I don't want it feminized. Protection against injury, yes.

Don't change this "barbaric" sport that I have come to love. If you want to do anything, take the billionaires out of it and return it to entertainment rather than big business. RESTORE it, don't degrade what it is now.

I went and read this ultra biased article that read like a campaign infomercial to ban fighting rather than fact.

It sources an 'online' poll which becomes impossible to verify if the respondents are adults and if some dont even like fighting , as most women do not.

Actual male hockey fans, as well as hockey players produce a 95% approval of fighting in the game. Or at least it was last time the issue came up.

They certainly didnt wait for the juiciest moment possible, replaying an almost never happens knock out over and over to milk the reaction even more.

To ad to that, I've only ever met one person in my life who wants fighting banned from hockey, my buddies dad, 16 years ago... That's it, that's all. OP, you are ridiculous. Find something worthwhile to crusade for rather than picking on fans of a sport that prominently features fighting.. If you want to see what happens with no fighting, check out the euro leagues. Stick infractions and stick related injuries go way up when there's no outlet for energy in such a physical and aggressive sport(it all turns into cheap shots). This is fcking hockey, not "sipping tea with your grandma", get a life!

So far, I've not read anyone except one or two persons make compelling arguments in favour of fighting. I would like to reply to these people, but for now I will reply to Boudrias.

Overcoming "brute force" is understandable. Actually, no one is even talking about that, as there are many sports with a brute force aspect to it, and they are undergoing their own studies and analyses on the subject; e.g., American football, rugby, and boxing, to name a few. We are talking about fighting in hockey, not brute force in sport. Two very different things that clearly must be spelt out to you. Let me be clear: one is a deliberate act of harming a player, the other is a team sport with specific rules. Fighting isn't in the rule book. If you don't want rules or you want to play by unwritten rules, you can take it to the streets. There is a difference between organised sport and people thugging it out.

What the game is or isn't about is your opinion; it is not for you or anyone to say what it is definitively or creating some type of elitist game where you decide who the 'real' fans are or are not. I have my own opinion on what hockey is. I don't care to waste time on personal opinions because, as they say, opinions are like...

No player goes on the ice thinking he wants to beat some shmuck? Really? Can you tell that to McLaren? 26 seconds into the first period? Oh, suddenly it's not "no player" but just a 'handful' or 'on rare occasion', right? Let's get the facts out without all the cheap rhetoric. The rest of what you say here is irrelevant to the discussion.

Thank you for the advice, but I think I'm a big boy and can make up my own mind. I'm sure when fighting is banned from hockey, which it will be (maybe not soon but it will be), you will stop watching and forget about the sport you so cynically loved only because of the fighting, right? I suggest you throw in the towel (pun intended), and realise the sport you romanticise is not coming back. Luckily, newer generations are capable of thinking logically and will improve the game. I know this because even though I do not know hockey inside-out, there are a couple of other sports I grew up with since I was born, and know the history of them. What is going on in hockey is not unique to hockey. Crack open a (history) book on other sports and you will understand how the evolution of sport occurs.

I don't waste my time campaigning against anything. I waste my time on improving areas of society which I love.

For the record, I hate UFC. The people who participate in that are a bunch of morons. Someone who used to be my bestfriend now trains for and wants to compete in UFC/MMA. I've had that discussion with him and know more about it through him educating me than the average viewer. Suffice it to say our friendship could not last because he lost a few billion neurons that have left him so incapable of rationalising, that he has been brainwashed into thinking UFC is 'cool' and 'fun'. I know through him what that 'sport' does to someone and the side effects of it.

To be honest, the whole rhetoric of those in favour of fighting is disgusting and a little insulting.

But let me humour you. The fact that you bring up NFL is pretty hilarious. You see, human evolution is a funny thing. 'Cuz, you know what? When humans evolve, they don't only evolve in one sport. They evolve in all areas of life. This means (gasp!) hockey is affected by human evolution. Ain't that a funny thing?

Let me be a little less subtle. There has been data by orders of magnitude suggesting long term damage is severely crippling players as early as late 20s and in their 30s in football as you know. This is because of their improved training techniques. Your oldtime hockey buddies did not have the bodies, resistance, adrenaline, legal drugs/enhancers, training that new kinesiology has brought forth.

If there is something that surprises me, it is that within each sport, there are many fans so hell-bent on not accepting the facts or numbers, that they make up excuses, use conspiracy theories or nitpick so much and lay the blame at a billion other things in order to defend their position on the matter at hand. One cannot rationalise or think logically with these people. Thus, I will not even bother with them. It's the same reason Richard Dawkins has said he will not debate or argue with creationists, who do not care about facts and cannot be persuaded with scientific analyses. To continue with this analogy, all us rational folk can do is ensure these barbarics are not in a position to make decisions or influence the rules, in this case, of hockey. Unfortunately, in society, some people need help to protect them from doing harm to themselves and to others because of their destructive personalities. So if you can't play hockey to save your life, in the future, this will mean you cannot just be used as a goon or an enforcer/instigator just to cash in, because not only is this harmful to others, but this type of person is being used himself, as a mere puppet, and this responsibility falls not only on the league, but on the organisation's management.

Imagine a world where people actually need skill and intelligence to be compensated. I know, it's a crazy idea, eh? But we're getting there, slowly but surely.

Listen to you.... You tried to come in here and act like you were speaking rationally, but as your response indicates, you've come here to win an argument about your opinion, not to have a reasonable discussion. Haven't you noticed that every single post is in favor of fighting? And you did know Gordie played well into his 50s right? Before your modern "medicine" etc. you obviously are stupid, bias and have a one sided and closed mind.

Meh I could care less what a bunch of do-gooder white knight softies think...fighting is part of hockey. Even if this highly biased article is true, but how many of the people responding to the poll are die hard hockey fans? I bet the vast majority of people who responded that fighting should be banned in hockey are people that don't watch hockey on a regular basis. The people that make decisions about hockey should be people that are heavily involved in the game. Currently I believe 99% of NHL players are in favour of keeping fighting, that should tell you something. If you don't like it, don't watch it, plain and simple. Whoever wrote this article can stick it up their ass.

Archived