The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Majority of Canadians want fighting ban

Dedalus

You make good points on the ethos of having fighting in a game/sport when society typically does not condone it. And if one sticks with the tenet that sports of all kinds is a microcosm of society, then yes, fighting in hockey should probably be banned.

I'm a long time hockey fan and have been on both sides of the debate, and probably could make a strong argument for both sides. Under the current rules of NHL hockey and the culture that is embedded into the game, it would be very difficult to take fighting out, or even have fights regulated.

Fighting in hockey has gone down in the last 20 years, but during this period, the incidence of reported head injuries/concussions is up dramatically. This can be a function of greater awareness and reporting of these injuries and/or higher incidence of middleweights/light heavyweights colliding at high speeds because they feel they can do so without retribution or consequence. Though I have no empirical proof, I believe that it is a combination of the two, and feel that players' respect for each others' safety has diminished substantially, because the NHL is slowly trying to phase fighting out.

As well, though there is always exceptions to the rule, fighting in the NHL typically takes place among players within the same weight class (though the kid from Ottawa took on someone who was 45 pounds heavier, which obviously put him at a huge disadvantage). There are many unwritten rules among fighters...helmets off if visors are worn, no hitting a player when he's down or falling, holding back when opposing fighter in not able to defend himself, etc., so fighting in the NHL is already somewhat self-regulated.

Fighting has historically been in place to intimidate opposing teams and to act as a deterrent (i.e., protect). The effectiveness of having "fighters" on your roster to fulfill its purpose seems to be diminishing so now may be the time to ban it. However, before that happens, rules to ban other infractions need to be implemented because without these rules in place, we are going to see a whole bunch of other infractions intended to gain physical advantage take place. These infractions could very well be more dangerous than fighting (i.e., Kaleta's hit on Brad Richards).

So, as it is under the current rules of the NHL, I see a place for fighting in the NHL game. Should it be banned, rules (and punishment) governing other infractions need to be in place first.

To me, fighting is an all-or-none proposition...we've been witnessing a slow phase out of it over the past 10-20 years, and though we cannot say it's 100% the reason, I believe it has contributed to higher incidence of head injuries and other behaviors that show diminished respect among the players.

Edit: sorry, but in my rambling on, I failed to state a definitive position on fighting...it should remain part of the game...the instigator rule has to go.

I am 100% with Burkie's position that the rats of the game (Marchand, Bolland, Cooke, Kaleta, Carcillo and the likes) are getting away with too much. These type of players exist because they have no regard for other players' safety and need to be rag dolled every once in awhile to keep them honest. The only way to have these rats show honour is to instill some fear into them, and like it or not, fighting (minus the instigator rule) is the only way to do it.

I went and read this ultra biased article that read like a campaign infomercial to ban fighting rather than fact.

It sources an 'online' poll which becomes impossible to verify if the respondents are adults and if some dont even like fighting , as most women do not.

Actual male hockey fans, as well as hockey players produce a 95% approval of fighting in the game. Or at least it was last time the issue came up.

They certainly didnt wait for the juiciest moment possible, replaying an almost never happens knock out over and over to milk the reaction even more.

I am sorry you and the other user have had experiences that have made both of you question someone trying to offer a discussion with some substance without thinking there must be some hidden agenda.

Fortunately, I am a real person. No one paid me anything and no company or big corporation paid me anything to come and post here or sign up to this forum.

I am a man of science for the most part. I like to have interesting conversations, like I said. Maybe few people in sport's forums do try to offer depth or detailed discussions. There is no need to talk of conspiracy theories. However, you'll find that I do not easily believe stats or what I hear or see on TV or on the Web. I am a sceptic.

I thought this would be a great conversation starter. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You know, healthy dialogue.

I'm much more of an observer, anyway.

Hockey is great. I've watched all but a couple of periods from two games (of the Canucks, obviously). I've even worn Canucks gear for almost every game. I try to learn about the game as much as time permits.

But you know, one thing is, my friends and I; we are not very aggressive people to begin with (we're in our late 20s and 30s, if that matters). Fighting is part of the game, but it doesn't mean we can't have some meaningful discussion about it over a beer. We like to enjoy the game. We're not the most boisterous guys, though we cheer on our team in good and bad times.

Exactly, so why bother with boring hockey, when as you say nothing gets everyone's attention like the fights. On the same note, we should make sure we have a lot more horrific crashes on the roads, did you notice how everyone slows down and stares, nothing gets their attention like a great crash. And yes, I am sure the Ottawa bench were all banging their stick when their guy was scraped off the ice..

I heard that 2/3 of Canadians want fighting banned ( they were talking about it on Sportsnet) but I find that very hard to believe. I dont think I know 1 Canadian who is a hockey fan that wants it banned. I have a feeling that it is a biased survey done by a group that wants it banned and is targeting like minded people for their surveys.

I suppose that is why you don't see fights breaking out at the Guggenheim, or the National Gallery of Art...even the Vancouver Art Gallery, where you have to deal with occasional societal dissidents.

Baseball on the other hand...

Love how the Canadians stuck up for themselves...something the OP doesn't seem to understand about team sports. These hockey and baseball guys that fight, well, they're just barbaric...just barbaric, I say (note to OP - get it? Or is this concept of one for all, all for one in team sports, too difficult for you to understand?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0445HMGAzA0

I agree with some of the posters that stated, we need to remove staged fights, we will never get rid of it all together unless we remove contact all together.

If you have ever played the game you will understand what I meant by that, as disisdayear stated above, it does come down to "cause and effect".

This is not curling, bowling, figure skating, or golf, and fortunately or unfortunately for some, fighting is a by product of the contact.

I agree with some of the posters that stated, we need to remove staged fights, we will never get rid of it all together unless we remove contact all together.

If you have ever played the game you will understand what I meant by that, as disisdayear stated above, it does come down to "cause and effect".

This is not curling, bowling, figure skating, or golf, and fortunately or unfortunately for some, fighting is a by product of the contact.

Also, if a survey is done and shows that players want to keep fighting, so be it. If someone showed me evidence of this and I continued on some diatribe, then that would be pontificating. So, let's ensure we are not misunderstanding one another or talking across each other.

Archived