The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First Openly Gay NHL Player To Come Out Soon

Saw this on HF and of course it was deleted, as Josh Gorges has not confirmed at this point. CDC may or may not do the same. Various sources on the internet have this as a substantial, likely upcoming event however.

http://www.chicagonow.com/mayor-daily/2013/03/nhl-player-coming-out-first-gay-athlete-666/

One of the biggest remaining glass ceilings in professional sports may be coming down this week if rumors out of Montreal are to be believed.

Gay community blog Queerty is reporting that a NHL player will come out this week as the first openly gay athlete in the Big 4 North American professional sports leagues. The rumored player is defenseman Josh Gorges of the Montreal Canadians. The 7-year veteran has racked up 12 goals, 67 assists, and 235 penalty minutes for the Montreal Canadians and San Jose Sharks

Why speculate who it is? If the rumor is true then it pretty much isn't really Gorges coming out on his own as everyone now has it in their mind who it is. I mean if it is and he does fantastic but again, not really on his own terms per se.

I think this is something that's best not to guess about. Wait until/if someone does come out and then congratulate him on having the amazing, awe inspiring amount of courage required to do so. Until then, speculation may only paint someone as something they are not, and that's every bit as unfair to do to someone who isn't gay but people are led to believe is as it is to force gay people to let/lead people to believe they aren't.

I'm still waiting for the day where nobody cares about someone's sexuality and stuff like this doesn't get reported. It's great that we are becoming more accepting of people's differences and all but the day we all just stop caring who is attracted to whom, that is the day we have truly evolved past this crap.

I think this is something that's best not to guess about. Wait until/if someone does come out and then congratulate him on having the amazing, awe inspiring amount of courage required to do so. Until then, speculation may only paint someone as something they are not, and that's every bit as unfair to do to someone who isn't gay but people are led to believe is as it is to force gay people to let/lead people to believe they aren't.

You would think the gang community (I'm referring to Qeerty) would be more sensitive to the fact that they are (a) speculating about someone's sexuality .and (B) potentially outing someone without allowing that person to have a say.

I don't care who the player is, congrats to them for standing up and helping the league get passed the stigma of homosexuality.

Archived