84 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

The latest proposal from the BC Police Chiefs to seize the cellphone and vehicle of drivers who are guilty of "distracted driving" and they want fines increased.

Police want to seize the cellphones of drivers continually “flaunting and breaking the law,” despite legislation made about three years ago that made it illegal to use handheld devices while driving.

Victoria Chief Const. Jamie Graham, head of the traffic committee of the B.C. Chiefs of Police Association, said a motion was passed Thursday asking the provincial government to legislate changes to let police seize phones and vehicles for a day from distracted drivers — similar to drinking-driving roadside suspensions.

“That means, on the roadside, we drop your phone into a seizure bag then you can show up at the police station 24 hours later to pick it up,” he said.

The association is also considering asking Victoria to increase the current $167 penalty for using electronic devices while driving. The proposal has been referred to a meeting in June. If approved, the province would be asked to make the change.

B.C. Justice Minister Shirley Bond, in a statement, said the idea is not something the government is currently considering, but added she’s willing to sit down with the police chiefs.

“We’ve seen the average number of monthly distracted driving tickets increase by approximately 30% over the last year and that tells us that police are targeting these drivers and enforcing the law.”

B.C. Civil Liberties Association lawyer Micheal Vonn called the proposal a seemingly “draconian response,” noting how the phones have become crucial to modern life. Police also needed to provide “meaningful analysis” on why violations are happening.

“The police have been alleging there has been an increase in distracted driving,” she said.

“That could merely be the fact they’re going out in (more) enforcement blitzes. You have to look at it in a broader context.”

On the consumer side, Dave Woogman, a London Drugs store manager in Vancouver, said Bluetooth devices remain a “top-five” cell phone accessory. After the law changed to make driving with a hand-held device illegal in early 2010 there was a “huge surge” in their sales.

“You can get them as inexpensive as $19, $29, or they can go up to more than $100,” he said, adding most new smartphones have “speech-to-text” capability.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/03/07/police-pitch-24-hour-cellphone-suspensions
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

Stupid law.

What's the difference between eating, changing the radio, having one arm, driving standard, talking to a passenger, talking on a bluetooth, smoking a cigarette and so on..

Might as well ban passengers and all those because you're being as equally distracted while you're talking to them as if you were talking on the phone while holding it.

The only thing I agree with is the banning of texting while driving.

Edited by Armada, 08 March 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#3 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Good I say. Traffic is bad enough we don't need people slowing down and yacking away on their phones when they are driving. Its very easy to tell when you are driving behind someone if they are on their phone.

#4 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

This is a bit ridiculous as many people actually need their phones & cars for work

#5 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

"B.C. Civil Liberties Association lawyer Micheal Vonn called the proposal a seemingly “draconian response,” noting how the phones have become crucial to modern life."

No they haven't. There's a lot of ways to communicate, and if a client/businessman is so urgent that they need an instant response, then that means they've failed in not setting up a communications contingency/hierarchy plan

#6 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Good I say. Traffic is bad enough we don't need people slowing down and yacking away on their phones when they are driving. Its very easy to tell when you are driving behind someone if they are on their phone.

Always happens at a red light. Guy in front of you starts frantically texting, light turns green he doesn't move OR he starts moving really slowly so he can finish his text.

#7 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I will never stop using my cellphone while driving. I completely agree with the above poster. Unless you are texting it is no different than eating a cheese burger, drinking a double double or lighting up a John Players Standard.

They keep passing these insane laws and us polite Canadians just sit back and say "thank you ill take another". At some point we need to stand up for our rights!!!
Posted Image

#8 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

"B.C. Civil Liberties Association lawyer Micheal Vonn called the proposal a seemingly “draconian response,” noting how the phones have become crucial to modern life."

No they haven't. There's a lot of ways to communicate, and if a client/businessman is so urgent that they need an instant response, then that means they've failed in not setting up a communications contingency/hierarchy plan

How do you propose I call my employer to let them know I am running late due to an accident or other unforeseen traffic issues. That is just one example of why people still need cellular devices to communicate. I have hands free in my car, I paid more for the blue tooth functionality when I bought my new car last summer, however saying that cell phones have not become crucial to our lives is a bit of a stretch.

I think you are on the side that states that cell phone usage is to high, and that we rely too much on them, and with that I would agree, however it is in fact the case that cell phones ARE crucial to our lives as it stands now. Whether that be for the better or worse of our society is up for debate.
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

#9 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I will never stop using my cellphone while driving. I completely agree with the above poster. Unless you are texting it is no different than eating a cheese burger, drinking a double double or lighting up a John Players Standard.

They keep passing these insane laws and us polite Canadians just sit back and say "thank you ill take another". At some point we need to stand up for our rights!!!

Then use a hands free phone system while in your car. I dont get how this is infringing on your rights.

#10 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Canada is hardly alone in this, and by Canada, did you also include Newfoundland (because they don't have laws on this)...

http://en.wikipedia...._and_hands-free

#11 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Then use a hands free phone system while in your car. I dont get how this is infringing on your rights.

So you think there's consistency in this law?
Posted Image

#12 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

How do you propose I call my employer to let them know I am running late due to an accident or other unforeseen traffic issues. That is just one example of why people still need cellular devices to communicate. I have hands free in my car, I paid more for the blue tooth functionality when I bought my new car last summer, however saying that cell phones have not become crucial to our lives is a bit of a stretch.

Pull over and call. You're late already - an extra 1-2 minutes isn't going to be the difference-maker.

Honestly, how did we do this 15 years back when cell phones were a big lanky brick that weighed 5 lbs and plans were exorbitantly expensive?

#13 Gz

Gz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

POPULAR

You sir, are why I miss the neg button. There are not many things I hate more than when people talk on their cellphones while driving. I've been almost hit (as a pedestrian) by someone driving and talking/texting three times this week alone. At crosswalks. I've never almost been hit by someone who was eating. If you need to talk that badly, pull over. It's not a difficult concept.

totally agree although i wouldnt have minded jvr in a 3 way.

Context, people, context.

#14 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Pull over and call. You're late already - an extra 1-2 minutes isn't going to be the difference-maker.

Honestly, how did we do this 15 years back when cell phones were a big lanky brick that weighed 5 lbs and plans were exorbitantly expensive?

Again, you're living in a world 15 years ago. That is NOT the case anymore. You're missing my second point in my original post. You claim that cell phones are not a big part of our lives, but this entire thread begs to differ. You are right in that there are other ways and yes 15 years ago this was not an issue. But it is NOW, i dont get what is so hard to grasp here.

15 years ago, before everyone had cell phones, I could be 10-20 min late and let my boss know why when I arrived. TODAY, if I am that late, they expect a phone call, or some warining... Why? Because today nearly EVERYONE has a phone or the ability to let them know.

Guess what, 15 years ago, downloading pirated movies was not a big deal, but it is now. Times change. society changes. Keep up please.

Edited by No_More_Larchide, 08 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#15 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

You sir, are why I miss the neg button. There are not many things I hate more than when people talk on their cellphones while driving. I've been almost hit (as a pedestrian) by someone driving and talking/texting three times this week alone. At crosswalks. I've never almost been hit by someone who was eating. If you need to talk that badly, pull over. It's not a difficult concept.

And you're why I miss the neg button.
Posted Image

#16 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

For some people its easy, they are calm, alert, attentive while driving and talking. But as many people have probably seen, there are drivers out there that completely tune out the road around them while they talk. The benefits of talking while driving aren't worth the hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage caused by accidents along with deaths. I'm pretty sure we have all seen someone on a cell phone doing something stupid. Sadly, its the bad eggs that ruin it for the good ones. I personally feel safer knowing that the people behind me and in front of me are not on their phones.

Edited by hsedin33, 08 March 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#17 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well Gz you can't fix stupid. I understand your concerns as it can be frightening on the roads especially if you are a pedestrian.

That said I don't text. I only talk on the phone. In 15 years of driving I have not been in an accident.
Posted Image

#18 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hey nothing wrong with tradition....

Posted Image

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#19 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Again, you're living in a world 15 years ago. That is NOT the case anymore. You're missing my second point in my original post. You claim that cell phones are not a big part of our lives, but this entire thread begs to differ. You are right in that there are other ways and yes 15 years ago this was not an issue. But it is NOW, i dont get what is so hard to grasp here.

15 years ago, before everyone had cell phones, I could be 10-20 min late and let my boss know why when I arrived. TODAY, if I am that late, they expect a phone call, or some warining... Why? Because today nearly EVERYONE has a phone or the ability to let them know.

Guess what, 15 years ago, downloading pirated movies was not a big deal, but it is now. Times change. society changes. Keep up please.

That's weak. If I'm going to be late for work I call my boss before I leave. If traffic is bad, traffic is bad and I apologize when I get to work and life goes on.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#20 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Personally I think they should ban the biggest driver distraction from cars - kids.

When i was kid we walked everywhere, rode our bikes or took a bus. Kids today are so spoiled.
NOTE - rife with sarcasm

Edited by Wetcoaster, 08 March 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#21 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

POPULAR

Personally I think they should ban the biggest driver distraction from cars - kids.

When i was kid we walked everywhere, rode our bikes or took a bus. Kids today are so spoiled.
NOTE - rife with sarcasm

Don't be butthurt, old man. Times have changed.

#22 Gz

Gz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

And you're why I miss the neg button.

Nice rebuttal.

#23 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Alberta has a pretty good distracted driving law. It's too bad so many people still text on their phones and cause crashes.

You can learn about Alberta's law here: http://www.transport...cteddriving.htm

Posted Image

#24 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Alberta has a pretty good distracted driving law. It's too bad so many people still text on their phones and cause crashes.

You can learn about Alberta's law here: http://www.transport...cteddriving.htm

How can one be distracted on a large farm?

LOL JK!

#25 Gz

Gz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well Gäz you can't fix stupid. I understand your concerns as it can be frightening on the roads especially if you are a pedestrian.

That said I don't text. I only talk on the phone. In 15 years of driving I have not been in an accident.

That's true. I understand that some people do have somewhat of a skill to drive and communicate on cells; at the same time though, most people don't, and I don't think that's an excuse to let everyone do it, especially with the alarmingly increasing rate of stupid people there seems to be these days. This is an issue that hits a little close to home for me I guess.

#26 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Don't be butthurt, old man. Times have changed.

Try highlighting the post with your mouse.

#27 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

I am all for the texting/email while driving, but I don't agree with banning the holding of the phone to your ear.

What drives me nuts now, are the idiots that think because the phone is on speaker, they can still hold it in their hands in front of their face. That is NOT hands free! It likely causes more of a distraction when you can't hear so are constantly moving it around and looking down at it.

On a driving related note, there are digital speed signs in a few spots in north van that flash really bright strobe lights when you go above the speed limit. Now that's a great idea, roadside distractions FTW!!!!. May as well be on the phone looking in front of you.

Edited by InTheCrease, 08 March 2013 - 01:59 PM.

I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#28 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Well Gäz you can't fix stupid. I understand your concerns as it can be frightening on the roads especially if you are a pedestrian.

You also have to realize, its not just you who can get into an accident. What if during a distracting talk on the phone you don't do a proper shoulder check and cut someone off, causing them to get into an accident with someone else? It affects everyone around you, your response time, and your perception of the road.

#29 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Cellphone/electronic devices law for B.C. drivers:
  • As of January 1, 2010 the use of cellphones or any handheld portable electronic devices by drivers is restricted in B.C. The fine is $167 and 3 penalty points. While operating a motor vehicle drivers:
  • Can not make or receive calls, send or read text messages or e-mails
  • Can not hold or operate any electronic device (i.e. cellphone, MP3 player, GPS Navigation System)
  • Can use hands-free cell phones and devices if they can be used by voice activation or pressing a single button once only
  • In the Graduated Licensing Program can not operate hand-held or hands-free cellphones or other electronic devices
http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-safety/distracted.htm

#30 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

I am all for the texting/email while driving, but I don't agree with banning the holding of the phone to your ear.

What drives me nuts now, are the idiots that think because the phone is on speaker, they can still hold it in their hands in front of their face. That is NOT hands free! It likely causes more of a distraction when you can't hear so are constantly moving it around and looking down at it.

On a driving related note, there are digital speed signs in a few spots in north van that flash really bright strobe lights when you go above the speed limit. Now that's a great idea, roadside distractions FTW!!!!. May as well be on the phone looking in front of you.

They put the speaker on because if it were up to their ear they would get caught by the police, not because they think it's "hands free".

People (in general, before some moron comes along with a straw man example) are not THAT stupid.

Edited by Aleksandr Pistoletov, 08 March 2013 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.