The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Use Your Handheld Cellphone While Driving in BC - Cell and Vehicle Seized

Wetcoaster

Myself I have Bluetooth built into my car so I don't have the problem. nor do i see a problem with talking on the phone while driving(holding it to your head. people are going to text and drive regardless of a law or not, laws don't stop people from doing stuff. now people try to hide it and hold their phones below window height and look down.

I would rather have a guy holding his phone at eye level half looking at the road and half not then looking at the floor. And it pisses me off beyond believe driving behind someone on the highway and they slow down and pull over to answer their phone.

They put the speaker on because if it were up to their ear they would get caught by the police, not because they think it's "hands free".

People (in general, before some moron comes along with a straw man example) are not THAT stupid.

I would think if you have an actual hands free device (built into the stereo for example, that would avoid denial of claim. For them to say you are partially at fault if for example someone rear ends you, while using your hands free device would be pretty weak.

when you put it on speaker, hold it in front of you, then have to turn your head or hold it 2 inches from the ear, yes they are that stupid.

How is this any different from holding to your ear?

634877238931714829.jpg

Speakerphone or not, calls must be made hands free, which holding it in your hand does not means hands free.

Again, I am not against someone making a call, the issue was people texting. All I am pointing out is the stupidity that some people actually believe holding it 2 inches from their face and ear is hands free, or their are honestly thinking they can dispute it.

I am sure Wetcoaster has the actual section info :)

Unless you have an emergency and need to dial 911, or your wife is giving birth, there isn't a single reason why you shouldn't be able to wait until you arrive at your destination to call or text someone. If they get mad at you just tell them you were driving, case closed.

I'm neutral when it comes to driving & talking. We talk with passengers and sometimes even to ourselves (lol) in the car while driving, right? The only things that I don't support are texting while driving (this is insanely stupid imho, unless you're stopped at the light and it's a super quick yes/no reply), and dialing while driving and your head is down.

Seriously, if you're going to talk & drive, then keep your pair of eyes on the darn road and at least one hand on the wheel. Also please don't hog the inside lane while you're talking & driving and you're going 10kph below the limit.

Other than that, talk away!

I've been driving with 1 hand ever since I got my license many years back. I don't see how holding a cellphone to talk affects me in any way, since it's no difference driving with 1 hand and chatting with another passenger anyways.

IIRC, there's already an erratic driving law or something before, so the cops should just use that on a case by base scenario. Someone driving perfectly fine, signaling, etc while chatting a phone, no problem. Someone else swerving around, don't signal, driving dangerously while chatting a phone, target those drivers.

Not all drivers are created equal, so there's no reason why good drivers should be punished just because there are morons on the road.

I've been driving with 1 hand ever since I got my license many years back. I don't see how holding a cellphone to talk affects me in any way, since it's no difference driving with 1 hand and chatting with another passenger anyways.

IIRC, there's already an erratic driving law or something before, so the cops should just use that on a case by base scenario. Someone driving perfectly fine, signaling, etc while chatting a phone, no problem. Someone else swerving around, don't signal, driving dangerously while chatting a phone, target those drivers.

Not all drivers are created equal, so there's no reason why good drivers should be punished just because there are morons on the road.

According to ICBC statistics and studies say otherwise.

Distracted driving is a leading cause of car crash fatalities in our province.

Police statistics show that about a quarter of all fatal crashes in B.C. in the last five years (2007 to 2011) were related to distracted driving. That’s an average of 94 deaths per year, making distracted driving the third-leading cause of motor vehicle fatalities in B.C., behind speeding and impaired driving.

You are four times more likely to crash when talking on a hand-held cellphone while driving and 23 times more likely to get in a crash if you text while driving.

http://www.icbc.com/...istractions.pdf

Archived