The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Use Your Handheld Cellphone While Driving in BC - Cell and Vehicle Seized

Wetcoaster

But in comparison to what other distractions? Would crying babies cause more accidents? What about drinking a hot cup of coffee? Would driving with 1 hand be considered as a "distraction"? Would me driving with 1 hand, drinking hot coffee with the other and having a crying toddler at the back be safer than me talking on a cell?

With stats, it can always be used and abuse in any way you want. Maybe all the people who got into accidents are the same type of people who we will all label as "bad drivers" anyways.

I believe that there are good drivers and bad drivers and whether or not cellphones are permitted won't change anything. So unless there's some in-depth experiment where they're comparing all different variables of driving and figured out that cellphone is #1 deniable cause for accidents (compared to other possible distractions of the road), then the law is just targeting certain segments of the population (non-morons) unfairly.

Cellphone/electronic devices law for B.C. drivers:

• As of January 1, 2010 the use of cellphones or any handheld portable electronic devices by drivers is restricted in B.C. The fine is $167 and 3 penalty points. While operating a motor vehicle drivers:

• Can not make or receive calls, send or read text messages or e-mails

• Can not hold or operate any electronic device (i.e. cellphone, MP3 player, GPS Navigation System)

• Can use hands-free cell phones and devices if they can be used by voice activation or pressing a single button once only

• In the Graduated Licensing Program can not operate hand-held or hands-free cellphones or other electronic devices

http://www.pssg.gov..../distracted.htm

But in comparison to what other distractions? Would crying babies cause more accidents? What about drinking a hot cup of coffee? Would driving with 1 hand be considered as a "distraction"? Would me driving with 1 hand, drinking hot coffee with the other and having a crying toddler at the back be safer than me talking on a cell?

With stats, it can always be used and abuse in any way you want. Maybe all the people who got into accidents are the same type of people who we will all label as "bad drivers" anyways.

I believe that there are good drivers and bad drivers and whether or not cellphones are permitted won't change anything. So unless there's some in-depth experiment where they're comparing all different variables of driving and figured out that cellphone is #1 deniable cause for accidents (compared to other possible distractions of the road), then the law is just targeting certain segments of the population (non-morons) unfairly.

This is actually ridiculous. Where are they going to put all these cars that they seize? Law enforcement need worry about other things, instead of impounding cellphones and cars of average people.

Hey, how about breaking some ground on the recent spike of gun violence in the Lower Mainland?

You are supposed to have two hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road at all times, so yes, it is a distraction. Thats why with the 'N' you can only have one passenger, because any more and they become a distraction. As a driver you are expected to be in control of the vehicles interior enviroment. If you feel distracted, you should pull over and make changes. You can't regulate a crying baby, just like you can't really regulate drinking a coffee, so its allowed. But you can regulate cell phones, just like you can regulate wearing a seatbelt. And really, it's all in the name of safety, getting from point A to point B without dying. Why would you want to complain about that?

I'll say it again.

Stupid, inconsistent law with no actual evidence. Texting sure, make it illegal but holding a phone while talking... Are you drunk BC? What's the difference between talking into a bluetooth and talking into something while holding it? There's no difference compared to me talking to my passenger while driving with 1 hand.

Make passengers illegal.

Edit: Had to repeat myself cause I get mad.

This is actually ridiculous. Where are they going to put all these cars that they seize? Law enforcement need worry about other things, instead of impounding cellphones and cars of average people.

Hey, how about breaking some ground on the recent spike of gun violence in the Lower Mainland?

Oddly enough our safety manager at work pulled over a couple months ago to take a phone call (in his position he wouldn't dare use his cell phone while driving a company car), he ended up getting hit from behind. Apparently the other driver saw taillights in front of him, thought he had strayed out of his lane, and adjusted himself accordingly. WorkSafe said this type of accident is fairly common, and after their investigation they determined the cause of the accident to be that "sitting pulled over on the side of a busy road is incredibly dangerous" and required us to take preventative action to avoid having a similar accident occur again. What was the action that they recommended? Everyone should get bluetooth and should not pull over to make or take phone calls.

I just found this ironic given the number of people I hear saying the safe option is to pull over before using a cell phone. It is safer for the other drivers on the road, but it is NOT safer for you. Essentially these people are saying you should put yourself in danger, so that they can be safe, rather than having everyone on the road share the risk. This is of course disturbing given how many people out there would lose their jobs if they can't make a phone call (pulled over or otherwise), making phones (sadly) essential to every day life.

I don't really oppose the driving laws pertaining to electronic devices, but I do wish that things could be consistent across all forms of distractions. My girlfriend hates that she can't whip out her cell while driving, to me I could care less, the only thing I want to do while driving is smoke. So she gets the short end while I am unscathed, great for me, but hardly fair and equal. I don't really care whether they go all out safety or all out freedom, but I would love to see things be more consistent.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Stupid law.

What's the difference between eating, changing the radio, having one arm, driving standard, talking to a passenger, talking on a bluetooth, smoking a cigarette and so on..

Might as well ban passengers and all those because you're being as equally distracted while you're talking to them as if you were talking on the phone while holding it.

The only thing I agree with is the banning of texting while driving.

I guess we should have an automatic ticketing system install in your car where anytime you even drive at 51km, you automatically get a speeding ticket, right? What about installing sound sensors that if anyone makes any noise, you'll get fined? How about some heat sensor on your steering wheel where you must constantly have both hands on the steering wheel? Remove the radio since it's a distraction? A breathalyzer in every vehicle regardless if the driver has any priors?

"And really, it's all in the name of safety, getting from point A to point B without dying. Why would you want to complain about that?" :rolleyes:

Archived