The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How far will the NHL go?

So it is being reported that the USA networks are salivating at the idea of a Boston/ Chicago SCF.

Knowing how badly the NHL wants to impress the major US networks; how much of a draw for the American viewers this would be and how it would be a fantastic payback for all the sponsors who have become disillusioned...how far will the NHL bend the rules and manipulate the officiating to achieve this outcome?

inconsistent refereeing and questionable suspensions will only go so far... more or less, the best 2 teams will be in the SCF. besides, it seems pretty likely that chicago will at the least make conference finals, and the east... well, who cares about the east.

the other thing is the NHL still wants to save markets that aren't exactly flourishing in the united states, and boston doesnt need help to sell tickets... i would be surprised if boston really gets any help in the playoffs from officiating... but if, lets say, anaheim or the islanders (teams with under 90% attendance, or 75% in NY's case) makes the 2nd round - i would be much less surprised to see them be the benefactor of questionably officiating.

So it is being reported that the USA networks are salivating at the idea of a Boston/ Chicago SCF.

Knowing how badly the NHL wants to impress the major US networks; how much of a draw for the American viewers this would be and how it would be a fantastic payback for all the sponsors who have become disillusioned...how far will the NHL bend the rules and manipulate the officiating to achieve this outcome?

Lol I'm with Elvis. Take off your tin foil hat. The NHL wouldn't dare to try to fix the playoffs. It's one thing to ref a game so it's more astically pleasing, that still leaves things a fair playi g field.

But match fixing is league suicide. If they tried to the info would get leake through one source or another, it always does. If that information got leaked the NHL would lose all credibility, and would lose millions of fans instantly.

Lol I'm with Elvis. Take off your tin foil hat. The NHL wouldn't dare to try to fix the playoffs. It's one thing to ref a game so it's more astically pleasing, that still leaves things a fair playi g field.

But match fixing is league suicide. If they tried to the info would get leake through one source or another, it always does. If that information got leaked the NHL would lose all credibility, and would lose millions of fans instantly.

The thing is that for this year at least, what's the difference between horrendous officiating and biased officiating? Because it's pretty much been only horrendous officiating but obviously we only see biased officiating against us

I don't think it will be an official decision to help any teams, but the media will be doing everything it can to influence the refs decision towards the best outcome for their viewership, and the refs, depending on their mental strength, may or may not be influenced by the media (which is what happened in the SCF 2011 in my opinion)

I don't think it will be an official decision to help any teams, but the media will be doing everything it can to influence the refs decision towards the best outcome for their viewership, and the refs, depending on their mental strength, may or may not be influenced by the media (which is what happened in the SCF 2011 in my opinion)

I'm not talking about "fixing" the outcome.  I'm talking about creating a climate where a certain team has th advantage like Boston on Tampa or the Nucks that year.

Something happened from the 7th game against Tampa until the end of the SCF.  The reffing changed drastically to allow rules infractions that had been called all year and in the early rounds of the playoffs.  The NHL didn't  "fix" the games but it did create a playing environment that was favourable to the bullying style of play the Bruins played...a style the NHL had said it was moving away from.  

I don't think it's a big stretch to think they might call the east that way again, and in the west clamp down on the tough play to allow a faster, talented and smaller team like Chicago to have an advantage?  Is it "fixing" the outcome...not really.  Could it influence  the outcome in the playoffs...absolutely. It has in the past.

I'm not talking about "fixing" the outcome. I'm talking about creating a climate where a certain team has th advantage like Boston on Tampa or the Nucks that year.

Something happened from the 7th game against Tampa until the end of the SCF. The reffing changed drastically to allow rules infractions that had been called all year and in the early rounds of the playoffs. The NHL didn't "fix" the games but it did create a playing environment that was favourable to the bullying style of play the Bruins played...a style the NHL had said it was moving away from.

I don't think it's a big stretch to think they might call the east that way again, and in the west clamp down on the tough play to allow a faster, talented and smaller team like Chicago to have an advantage? Is it "fixing" the outcome...not really. Could it influence the outcome in the playoffs...absolutely. It has in the past.

Archived