30 replies to this topic

#1 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

So it is being reported that the USA networks are salivating at the idea of a Boston/ Chicago SCF.

Knowing how badly the NHL wants to impress the major US networks; how much of a draw for the American viewers this would be and how it would be a fantastic payback for all the sponsors who have become disillusioned...how far will the NHL bend the rules and manipulate the officiating to achieve this outcome?

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 08 March 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

It won't.

Edited by Jägermeister, 08 March 2013 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

#3 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

inconsistent refereeing and questionable suspensions will only go so far... more or less, the best 2 teams will be in the SCF. besides, it seems pretty likely that chicago will at the least make conference finals, and the east... well, who cares about the east.

the other thing is the NHL still wants to save markets that aren't exactly flourishing in the united states, and boston doesnt need help to sell tickets... i would be surprised if boston really gets any help in the playoffs from officiating... but if, lets say, anaheim or the islanders (teams with under 90% attendance, or 75% in NY's case) makes the 2nd round - i would be much less surprised to see them be the benefactor of questionably officiating.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#4 bryguy26

bryguy26

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

It won't.

LOL Absolutely they will. They wont make it obvious. But they will definitely "tweak" it towards a favorable outcome.
Posted Image

#5 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

LOL Absolutely they will. They wont make it obvious. But they will definitely "tweak" it towards a favorable outcome.

This was my thinking.

The officiating radically changed with game 7 of the Boston Tampa series the year Boston won. Without that change, it is likely Tampa moves on because they ahd been slaughtering the Bruins on the PP. Suddenly NO PPs in that game 7?!!!!

From then on it was open season on goonery.

Boston winning after such a drought was a perfect story for selling the NHL...US agains Canada, toughness against finnesse, etc. The NHL influenced that outcome. I can see them doing it again.

#6 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

So it is being reported that the USA networks are salivating at the idea of a Boston/ Chicago SCF.

Knowing how badly the NHL wants to impress the major US networks; how much of a draw for the American viewers this would be and how it would be a fantastic payback for all the sponsors who have become disillusioned...how far will the NHL bend the rules and manipulate the officiating to achieve this outcome?

The way both teams are playing, they won't have to....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Posted Image

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#8 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Posted Image

NIce of you to pull your head out of the sand long enough to post that.

#9 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

NIce of you to pull your head out of the sand long enough to post that.

:picard:

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#10 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

:picard:

Kerry Fraser has stated publicly the officials are given leeway to call games for entertainment value.

How much of a stretch is it to influence the outcome as suggetsed? They already do it on a nightly basis.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 08 March 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#11 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well, it made me laugh, Elvis! :lol:
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#12 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Lol I'm with Elvis. Take off your tin foil hat. The NHL wouldn't dare to try to fix the playoffs. It's one thing to ref a game so it's more astically pleasing, that still leaves things a fair playi g field.
But match fixing is league suicide. If they tried to the info would get leake through one source or another, it always does. If that information got leaked the NHL would lose all credibility, and would lose millions of fans instantly.

#13 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Lol I'm with Elvis. Take off your tin foil hat. The NHL wouldn't dare to try to fix the playoffs. It's one thing to ref a game so it's more astically pleasing, that still leaves things a fair playi g field.
But match fixing is league suicide. If they tried to the info would get leake through one source or another, it always does. If that information got leaked the NHL would lose all credibility, and would lose millions of fans instantly.

I'm not talking about "fixing" the outcome. I'm talking about creating a climate where a certain team has th advantage like Boston on Tampa or the Nucks that year.

Something happened from the 7th game against Tampa until the end of the SCF. The reffing changed drastically to allow rules infractions that had been called all year and in the early rounds of the playoffs. The NHL didn't "fix" the games but it did create a playing environment that was favourable to the bullying style of play the Bruins played...a style the NHL had said it was moving away from.

I don't think it's a big stretch to think they might call the east that way again, and in the west clamp down on the tough play to allow a faster, talented and smaller team like Chicago to have an advantage? Is it "fixing" the outcome...not really. Could it influence the outcome in the playoffs...absolutely. It has in the past.

#14 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

you sound like foxnews there. who is reporting it? can we have a link/context?

the NHL doesn't need to badly impress the major US networks. the NBC contract runs through 2021. which sponsors have become disillusioned? link/information?

and why would they want the bruins to win over the lightning in 2011, when southern expansion is what the NHL really wants?
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#15 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

The thing is that for this year at least, what's the difference between horrendous officiating and biased officiating? Because it's pretty much been only horrendous officiating but obviously we only see biased officiating against us

#16 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

The thing is that for this year at least, what's the difference between horrendous officiating and biased officiating? Because it's pretty much been only horrendous officiating but obviously we only see biased officiating against us

The eyes see what the mind wants them to see.

I don't think the officials have been "biased" against us - they've just been inconsistent all around.

/=S=/

#17 westvandude

westvandude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

I don't think it will be an official decision to help any teams, but the media will be doing everything it can to influence the refs decision towards the best outcome for their viewership, and the refs, depending on their mental strength, may or may not be influenced by the media (which is what happened in the SCF 2011 in my opinion)

#18 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I don't think it will be an official decision to help any teams, but the media will be doing everything it can to influence the refs decision towards the best outcome for their viewership, and the refs, depending on their mental strength, may or may not be influenced by the media (which is what happened in the SCF 2011 in my opinion)

Good point.

The Eastern media did a pretty thorough hatchet job on the Nucks reputation. They're still being penalized based on the reputation (diving, soft, mouthy) created that year.

#19 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'm not talking about "fixing" the outcome.  I'm talking about creating a climate where a certain team has th advantage like Boston on Tampa or the Nucks that year.

Something happened from the 7th game against Tampa until the end of the SCF.  The reffing changed drastically to allow rules infractions that had been called all year and in the early rounds of the playoffs.  The NHL didn't  "fix" the games but it did create a playing environment that was favourable to the bullying style of play the Bruins played...a style the NHL had said it was moving away from.  

I don't think it's a big stretch to think they might call the east that way again, and in the west clamp down on the tough play to allow a faster, talented and smaller team like Chicago to have an advantage?  Is it "fixing" the outcome...not really.  Could it influence  the outcome in the playoffs...absolutely. It has in the past.

There seems to be a misconception that the refs let Boston get away with everything in the 2011 Cup final. I suppose it has a lot to do with the non-calls against Marchand and Boychuk.

However, this is not the case. In fact, there were a lot of penalties called in that series and more were called against the Bruins than wer called against the Canucks. The problem was the fact that 60% of the Canucks' PP were playing injured and Tim Thomas put in a goaltending performance for the ages.

Regarding the Boston - Tampa Bay game seven, I watched that game and you're correct when you say that not much was called. However, in that particular game, the Bolts got away with a lot more than the B's. The "change" that you speak of actually helped Tampa Bay more than Boston.

Finally, regarding the whole league "conspiracy" theory, consider the 2010 playoffs when the President's trophy winning Washington Capitals faced the last seed Montreal Canadiens.

Here was the league's chance to showcase one of it's brightest stars in Alex Ovechkin, but in game seven, with the Caps down a goal, the refs wave off the tying goal because of an extremely questionable goaltender interference call.

I'm pretty sure ther US networks would have preferred to see Ovie and the Caps advance...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#20 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm not talking about "fixing" the outcome. I'm talking about creating a climate where a certain team has th advantage like Boston on Tampa or the Nucks that year.

Something happened from the 7th game against Tampa until the end of the SCF. The reffing changed drastically to allow rules infractions that had been called all year and in the early rounds of the playoffs. The NHL didn't "fix" the games but it did create a playing environment that was favourable to the bullying style of play the Bruins played...a style the NHL had said it was moving away from.

I don't think it's a big stretch to think they might call the east that way again, and in the west clamp down on the tough play to allow a faster, talented and smaller team like Chicago to have an advantage? Is it "fixing" the outcome...not really. Could it influence the outcome in the playoffs...absolutely. It has in the past.

Your still suggesting the NHL helps certain teams win, which to a lesser degree is match fixing. My point is we live in a day of age that it's almost impossible to keep or cover up a secret, no matter how powerful the person or organization is. If the NHL tried to do this it's almost certain it would get leaked at some point. Whic would be a huge black eye for the NHL, they know this and know its too big of a risk.
On a separate note I don't really agree that the refs can influence a game that much. I believe that no matter how a game is called the better team and better coach will find a way to adapt to make it work in there favor. But that's a completely separate discussion.

#21 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Your still suggesting the NHL helps certain teams win, which to a lesser degree is match fixing. My point is we live in a day of age that it's almost impossible to keep or cover up a secret, no matter how powerful the person or organization is. If the NHL tried to do this it's almost certain it would get leaked at some point. Whic would be a huge black eye for the NHL, they know this and know its too big of a risk.
On a separate note I don't really agree that the refs can influence a game that much. I believe that no matter how a game is called the better team and better coach will find a way to adapt to make it work in there favor. But that's a completely separate discussion.

How long did it take people to find out that refs in the nba were gambling on the games they play? What about the soccer league in euro?

The fact is the refs in the nhl had made a lot of questionable calls, and the drastic change of reffing to Boston since game 7 against tb is hard to be justify. How do you explain having ZERO penalty in a game 7 game in the playoff?

Look at the suspension the league gave to Rome for a .5 seconds late hit, then look at the treatment when Boston pushed Raymond for 3 meters to the board and broke his back. Or how Marchand target at sedin's knee.

Now tell me with a straight face that the refs/league didn't do that on purpose

Also, Kerry Fraser had already said that refs can make calls base on their personaliy and relationship with other players. Refs trying to inflruece the game base on his/league's agenda is anything but a myth. It's just people trying to avoid it because this fact will destroy their view in hockey.

It's much like how Christians would refuse to believe in evolution no matter how many facts you throw at them. They will come back and tell you the earth is 5000 years old and there was a rupture in 2010

Edited by Piggy1983, 09 March 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#22 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

It's all unsubstantiated rage and conspiracies unless you have actual proof. And no, coincidentally the team you like getting a bunch of weak calls against them isn't "proof".

#23 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

It's all unsubstantiated rage and conspiracies unless you have actual proof. And no, coincidentally the team you like getting a bunch of weak calls against them isn't "proof".

Ya, zero penalty in a game 7 conference final game is not enough to tell people how the league treats a small market team differently.

Now out your head back into the sand .

#24 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Well a Chicago-Boston series would certainly lose (most) Vancouver viewers.

If Chicago were to beat Vancouver to the finals, I would like to see them face Toronto. If anything, it'll drive our eastern friends nuts and for once, people in Vancouver (and possibly even Montreal) would unite behind the Leafs. I certainly would.

#25 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

I believe game management is sadly a part of this league .. If you think gary buttman has any scruples your sadly mistaken .. He is a sad and controlling little man .. he thinks he is david stern , but hes more like david pratt

#26 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

If you think about it, a Canucks final will always make money. In a way it is like wrestling, everyone wants to boo the bad guys. In the NHL, we are the bad guys. It doesnt matter what team your a fan of, you will cheer for who ever is playing against us if your not a Canucks fan, usually. Go to the other teams boards on game days against us. There are always people popping in who are fans from other teams but coming to wish our opponents 'good luck'. So when the Canucks to the SCF, everyone watches.

#27 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

:lol: Some people really think that everything goes perfectly for the NHL by coincidence?

Face it, this isn't the good old hockey game that it used to be.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#28 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

I don't think the officials have been "biased" against us - they've just been inconsistent all around.

But you said the eyes see what the mind wants them to see. So your mind doesn't want to see the bias, just the inconsistency. Either that or the whole "eyes see" thing is bs. Which is it?

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#29 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

More conspiracy theories... while the NHL may prefer a true american match up, they won't be telling to referees to bend any rules. If that were true, some ex-referee would of leaked it by now.

#30 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

I should have been clearer that we only see calls against us because people seldom watch other team games. Like I said I don't think it's as much as fixing games as much as it's horrendous officiating all around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.