#1 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

How bout that new getzlaf contract eh?

This is great news for us. Aren't we going to be in their division now? Going to be hard to surround him with a complete cup contending team. You gotta think if your a free agent close to as good as getz and Anaheim is calling, you would be making pretty firm demands. Or even a young star on the rise, for that matter.

What about orielly in Colorado. They're going to have to qualify him at a huge price tag even if he doesn't perform that high. Duchene and landeskog are going to want the same too.. Are they still in our division? Or just conference?

Then look at Edmonton, what do you think Yakupov, nuge and Shultz are going to want? Or even gagne next year? You just gave hall 6 mill before he earned it. At least they have very valuable assets for trade but they won't ever be as good as they should have been because of the standard they just set. Instead of getting all those young studs to buy into a dynasty, they're going to have to trade them for lesser players to play the exact same position they're trading away(plus a prospect of course).

When you really think about it, the Canucks are laughing with the culture they've built. We might lose out on a good player once in a while over contract, but were better in the long run looking at the rest of our division. We have more wiggle room to fill those other role player spots, whereas other teams young stars are being overpaid and forcing them to sign boom or bust players to build around those greedy bastards.

Our young kids are getting their shots in the NHL at the end of their entry level contracts so they can't make the same demands. They get their feet wet and it's time to resign before they have a chance to breakout....

Taking a step back you can really start to see Mike Gillis' plans come to life. We may get frustrated as impatient cupless fans, but this guy is doing wayyyyyy more good then bad IMO.

What do you guys think going forward? At first I was kinda scared looking at our older core but looking at how other western teams are being managed, I'm not so sure were in trouble.

Discuss

#2 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

How bout that new getzlaf contract eh?

This is great news for us. Aren't we going to be in their division now? Going to be hard to surround him with a complete cup contending team. You gotta think if your a free agent close to as good as getz and Anaheim is calling, you would be making pretty firm demands. Or even a young star on the rise, for that matter.

What about orielly in Colorado. They're going to have to qualify him at a huge price tag even if he doesn't perform that high. Duchene and landeskog are going to want the same too.. Are they still in our division? Or just conference?

Then look at Edmonton, what do you think Yakupov, nuge and Shultz are going to want? Or even gagne next year? You just gave hall 6 mill before he earned it. At least they have very valuable assets for trade but they won't ever be as good as they should have been because of the standard they just set. Instead of getting all those young studs to buy into a dynasty, they're going to have to trade them for lesser players to play the exact same position they're trading away(plus a prospect of course).

When you really think about it, the Canucks are laughing with the culture they've built. We might lose out on a good player once in a while over contract, but were better in the long run looking at the rest of our division. We have more wiggle room to fill those other role player spots, whereas other teams young stars are being overpaid and forcing them to sign boom or bust players to build around those greedy bastards.

Our young kids are getting their shots in the NHL at the end of their entry level contracts so they can't make the same demands. They get their feet wet and it's time to resign before they have a chance to breakout....

Taking a step back you can really start to see Mike Gillis' plans come to life. We may get frustrated as impatient cupless fans, but this guy is doing wayyyyyy more good then bad IMO.

What do you guys think going forward? At first I was kinda scared looking at our older core but looking at how other western teams are being managed, I'm not so sure were in trouble.

Discuss

The Av's won't be in our division, but will be part of the "Western" conferences. Meaning we'll only play them twice.

Good points on those teams mentioned. The Oilers and Av's especially will have to fork over some huge next contracts for their young talent. Not sure what the heck the Ducks are thinking giving Getzlaf that kind of money. Means they probably lose or trade Perry now. No hometown discount there to help his team build a winner!!

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

No kidding. People want Gillis to just re-sign everyone that's a fan favourite and when he doesn't, it's not about the cap space they'd take that would have to come from somewhere else, it's that Gillis is a bad GM or disrespects the players.

Other teams have had cap space but are going to run into those issues (whether it's the actual cap or an internal one) and it will limit how well they can compete with other teams despite looking promising now.

Edited by elvis15, 08 March 2013 - 02:52 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#4 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

that is the canucks advantage: the hometown discount. Look at garrison walking away from 5+ million a year to come here at a bargain basement price. look at the sedins, at burrows, at edler, at kesler, the list goes on and on, all elite players playing here for millions less than somewhere else. That is why the canucks are a powerhouse and will continue to be. MG has made vancouver the top destination in the league. just about everybody wants to play here.

#5 S.Mouse!

S.Mouse!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

that is the canucks advantage: the hometown discount. Look at garrison walking away from 5+ million a year to come here at a bargain basement price. look at the sedins, at burrows, at edler, at kesler, the list goes on and on, all elite players playing here for millions less than somewhere else. That is why the canucks are a powerhouse and will continue to be. MG has made vancouver the top destination in the league. just about everybody wants to play here.

$4, 600, 000 / year.
I'm not sure you understand what the term "bargain basement price" means...
Just sayin'

I get your point though.

Edited by S.Mouse!, 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not sure if serious.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#7 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah I just looked up Avs division after I posted. But still, 3 guys making 6 plus if duchene and landeskog get their way. We could see them in the second round of the playoffs though.

To me it seems like our window is no faster closing than these other team's windows are going to open. They'll compete no doubt but they're going to need more luck with rushing young guys and hoping they turn out like Hansen, whereas we have a Hansen locked up at a discount and get to groom these young kids slowly.

#8 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

$4, 600, 000 / year.
I'm not sure you understand what the term "bargain basement price" means...
Just sayin'

I get your point though.

Garrison might have been a bit of a risk. I think that value is probably spot on though. Not a bargain but about what he's worth. He's playing we'll now and will only find more chemistry the longer he's here. I bet you he'll start putting up close to Bieksa numbers once our team system is second nature to him and he's not thinking about making the "right canuck" play.

Also when assessing the risk we took on him, we really only gave him the 4.6 everybody else gets. We didnt disrupt our contract structure at all. He's a solid enough player that over his contract(which is in the prime years of his career btw) he won't really be worth any less than 4.6. Considering inflation and the points that will come once our system is 2nd nature to him, he's got a very high chance to be a basement bargain in a year or 2.

If you ask me that's a very proactive low risk with high reward. The reward not being he's gonna go Erik Karlsson for us. But the reward being in 2 years players of his caliber could be signing 5.5-6 on the open market.

So when you look at the chance to get say suter, that is a guy his entire career people are going to be questioning him living up to his contract. He's a better player no doubt but he signed the big bucks and it will always be hanging over the head of the Minnesota wild and fans.

If young players exceed expectations and take some of the 4.6 million guys jobs eventually. Well now you got a real solid dman on a great contract(consider inflation) that is availible to trade... You could find a guy like Wayne simmonds who is also on a good contract and 2 teams just made a great low risk hockey trade. Or a team may be willing to give up a better pick or prospect because the guy has 2 more good years at a great price.

It's obviously not going to work out every time.. Like Ballard for example, that had more to do with whatever he did to AV tho lol... But even when a Ballard or booth deal doesn't live up to the hype, you take your lumps there and keep going forward because overall you got the most contract friendly team in the league

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.