The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC players... a darn shame

Canuckler87

I think second to Ontario, our province produces the greatest hockey players. Legends like Sakic & Yzerman. To future stars like Nugent Hopkins. To current stars like Evander Kane. The list goes on. These players grew up watching the canucks. Sakic got hooked on hockey while at a canucks game. Evanders favorite team is the canucks (said in his draft year). I wonder why we rarely see a hometown kid come here and be a star for us. I say it's a darn shame considering the players that come from here.

I forgot to mention Lucic . There's probably a ton others too

We only really missed out on Lucic which is a huge miss. He went 50th overall and he played in our backyard. We should of known he would of been an effective player.

Kane went 4th

Nugent went 1st

yzerman went 1st

Sakic went 15th.

we didn't have a pick before any of those guys, would of cost too much to move up to get picks like that

I hear people bitching about us not drafting BC players... has anyone ever considered that it might be a purposeful strategy?

We have a better chance of convincing a BC born guy to come home as a free agent after he is drafted by some crappy team in a crappy city. We got Garrison and Hamhuis for under market value.

So by drafting players from other regions and getting them to put down roots here, we are getting them long term and then can get the BC boys a little farther in their career.

We only really missed out on Lucic which is a huge miss. He went 50th overall and he played in our backyard. We should of known he would of been an effective player.

Kane went 4th

Nugent went 1st

yzerman went 1st

Sakic went 15th.

we didn't have a pick before any of those guys, would of cost too much to move up to get picks like that

I hear people bitching about us not drafting BC players... has anyone ever considered that it might be a purposeful strategy?

We have a better chance of convincing a BC born guy to come home as a free agent after he is drafted by some crappy team in a crappy city. We got Garrison and Hamhuis for under market value.

So by drafting players from other regions and getting them to put down roots here, we are getting them long term and then can get the BC boys a little farther in their career.

Kane went 4th

Nugent went 1st

yzerman went 1st

Sakic went 15th.

Well aside from Hamhuis and Garrison, we signed Volpatti, Stefan Schneider, and Kellan Tochkin.... all BC boys as free agents.

Who knows what other guys might sign here as we go along. You hear a lot of guys wanting to play in front of their hometown. The guys who don't want that kind of pressure (Kariya, Sakic, etc) probably wouldn't re-sign here anyways after they became free agents if we had drafted them.

Your trying to make a point on why we could not take each of these players but if we did not trade away the number 3 overall pick away to Boston we would have been able to take Sakic and Yzerman was drafted 4th overall the year we took Neely 9 th overall who was then packaged together with the 87 3rd overall pick for Barry Pederson

Back in 2007 in an interview Lucic said that it would be his dream come true if he were to play for the Canucks and would like to leave after his time in Boston. He even practiced with the team before the 10-11 season at UBC....

And then there came the finals

I think second to Ontario, our province produces the greatest hockey players. Legends like Sakic & Yzerman. To future stars like Nugent Hopkins. To current stars like Evander Kane. The list goes on. These players grew up watching the canucks. Sakic got hooked on hockey while at a canucks game. Evanders favorite team is the canucks (said in his draft year). I wonder why we rarely see a hometown kid come here and be a star for us. I say it's a darn shame considering the players that come from here.

I forgot to mention Lucic . There's probably a ton others too

Back in 2007 in an interview Lucic said that it would be his dream come true if he were to play for the Canucks and would like to leave after his time in Boston. He even practiced with the team before the 10-11 season at UBC....

And then there came the finals

Archived