78 replies to this topic

#31 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Pleasant Surprise: I've stopped getting up in the early hours of the morning for the same old crap. I now sleep through and watch the replay.

Disappointment: MG continues to look at this team through rose tinted spectacles
Kevin.jpg

#32 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Garbage: Edler, Booth, Kesler, our PP, AV, Lapierre,

Pleasant surprise: Tanev, Luongo as a backup

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#33 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Surprise:
Tanev and Hansen
They took it to yet another level this year, had no idea they had an extra gear.

Disappointment:
Owners.
Forum member "Legend Killer" had an awesome post on how much cap space certain (good) team have in hand - he mentioned ANA (14M) and STL/PHO (each with almost $20M). I added LAK (almost 10M) to that list. If you compare those to our <1M cap and bad contracts, it becomes obvious that management has done a lousy job. And these are not teams that are re-building, they are at least very good teams if not legitimate contenders, including the freakin' defending champs. Imagine how tough it will be for us to compete with any of those teams to add talent. And imagine how much tougher those teams can get still. The Canucks owners have been too complacent, and I am afraid they will continue to be - after all, Roger's Arena sells out every single time, doesn't it? Someone prove me wrong, please!

#34 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Biggest surprise: Lack of goal scoring and power play

Biggest Fail: Fanbase

Come down from the ledge people.

If you remove the divisional leader seedings, we are....guess what....3rd in the conference. As of this morning we are 8th overall out of 30 teams.

I'm just surprised that such knowledgeable hockey fans would blow up a contender at the mid-point of a lockout shortened season that also had no pre-season. Sure they can drive this off a cliff in the next few weeks but they can also go on a run.

Hell 3 months ago most of you professed to be done with the game now you are up in arms because those who are running the team won't read these forums and take your advise.

I agree with most but I dont want Mike to blow it up just a few tweaks like bring in a guy like Boll or Thorburn to play on our 4th.

#35 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Dissapointing- edler and most of the defense
Pleaser surprise- Mason raymond

Edited by Tony Romo, 09 March 2013 - 01:32 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#36 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Pleasant Surprise: Having hockey at all this year.

Disappointed: That it took as long as it did to get hockey back.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 09 March 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#37 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

pleasantly surprised by tanev, barker, schroeder, raymond.
disappointed by the lack of urgency they play with. Years ago you could almost feel when they were gonna score late in a game at times. I have yet to feel that this season.

#38 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

I have a hard time picking out many guys whom id say have been a pleasant surprise. I would go with Tanev, altho i can't say im terribly surprised. He is pretty much the same calm, cool, collected guy we saw last season. I think Higgins and Hansen also deserve praise, both have been very good after a bit of a slow start for Higgins in particular.

I also agree with the assesment of the NW divison.. I though it would be much more competitive like many but man, it hasn't changed much...its still pretty god awful.

As for a dissapointment i think you can pretty much go down most of our lineup, special teams, coaching...more negatives than positives.

#39 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

If I'm going by players...

Pleasant surprised by Raymond, I expected Hansen and Tanev to improve as they go along and they are favourites of mine (they have been exceeding expectations though). But MayRay looks like he's come back in a big way from the past 2 seasons.

Disappointed by Edler. So much. I don't know what's up from him, but ever since LA last year he's looked off. His production isn't slipping, but he seems less of a threat in the offensive zone somehow. I remember when he came into the league, we were all saying how ice-cool he looked (like Tanev now), but his gaffes get worse and worse in his own zone. He isn't being as physical as he used to be either. Hopefully he gets it back, because he's a big part of our d-core.

If I'm going by bigger picture, I'm pleasantly surprised there's NHL hockey this year! I had lost faith there would be a season, and we've had an entertaining one around the league thus far.

I'm disappointed by the Canucks' play as a whole. Mostly been riding the goalies the whole season, and we never seem to have both the big guns and the secondary scoring firing at once, always just been one carrying the other (mostly the twins now). Our D is suspect.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 09 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

#40 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Disappointment: Edler and AV.

Surprise: Tanev.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#41 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

The Canucks owners have been too complacent, and I am afraid they will continue to be - after all, Roger's Arena sells out every single time, doesn't it? Someone prove me wrong, please!

We have become the Toronto maple leafs. Big salaries, big expectations, little to show for it.

#42 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,658 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Surprise: They're actually letting Schroeder play, though their backs are against the wall. Surprised some plug isn't playing in his place, especially on the fourth.

Dissapointment: Everything. :)

Just joking. Actually not much except that Garrison hasn't slotted in as well as he could have. I still think the overall bad quality defensively itself and lack of players in their proper positions is to blame.

I think the year was going to be pretty tough no matter what, so many things against us. It's plausible that Gillis and Co are not afraid to wipe it out. Settling the deal at the last second gave us no opportunity to trade Luongo. That trading block, getting another top 6 forward, and fixing the D with proper pairings probably needs to wait until the offseason.

Edited by Dogbyte, 09 March 2013 - 03:39 PM.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#43 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Pleasant surprise: Tanev and Raymond

Disappointment: AV and no goalie trade

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#44 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think the year was going to be pretty tough no matter what, so many things against us.

I'm curious as to what all of these things were working against us.

#45 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Disappointment is Garrison not on the power play

Surprise is they chose Schroeder instead

#46 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Surprise = Hansen

Diss = Garrison

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#47 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Surprise : Tanev and Raymond

Disappointment : Both goalies, Edler and Kassian. If Kassian doesn't put up offensive numbers (which we cant expect him to do on a regular basis) he has to bring high energy. That means blowing people up and fighting. And he's doing neither.
Posted Image

#48 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Surp:Hansen

Diss:Kassian

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#49 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hansen is the man. Edler will be fine if he sorts out his back injury. I hope it isnt a case where he will never be the same.
:towel:

#50 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

If you remove the divisional leader seedings, we are....guess what....3rd in the conference. As of this morning we are 8th overall out of 30 teams.

I'm just surprised that such knowledgeable hockey fans would blow up a contender at the mid-point of a lockout shortened season that also had no pre-season. Sure they can drive this off a cliff in the next few weeks but they can also go on a run.

Hell 3 months ago most of you professed to be done with the game now you are up in arms because those who are running the team won't read these forums and take your advise.

This^
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#51 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Pleasant surprises:

-Tanev's emergence as a top-four defensemen.
-Raymond's resurgence
-Hansen's continues to improve
-Schroeder sticking in the NHL (Many thought he'd never make the team, let alone play regular minutes)
-Kassian's continued development
-Ballard has been making steady improvements since coming over

Dissapointments

- Edler's erradic play

#52 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

P. Surprise = Tanev and Hansen are not that big of a surprise to me. Considering how little I thought of shredder I would say he surprised me the most.

Disappointment = goaltending.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#53 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

yes we're 8th overall but as someone pointed out in another thread we're only 3 points ahead of 20th, perspective

#54 TheGreatWhiteNorth

TheGreatWhiteNorth

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Pleasant Surprise - Raymond's showing he's not the plug we thought he was last year
Disappointment - Garrison, but Edler and the Kesler injuries are close. Garrison has 3 goals and 1 assist and we signed him until 2018 to replace Salo. It turned out to be a bust, maybe not as much as Sturm but still a disappointing player.

#55 TheGreatWhiteNorth

TheGreatWhiteNorth

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Pleasant Surprise - Raymond's showing he's not the plug we thought he was last year
Disappointment - Garrison, but Edler and the Kesler injuries are close. Garrison has 3 goals and 1 assist and we signed him until 2018 to replace Salo. It turned out to be a bust, maybe not as much as Sturm but still a disappointing player.

#56 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Biggest surprise = Luongo still a Canuck

Biggest disappointment = Luongo still a Canuck

Edited by Understand, 09 March 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#57 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Pleasant surprise: Kassian vs Eager
Biggest disappointment: our special teams coaching still have a job

#58 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Biggest surprise = Luongo still a Canuck

Biggest disappointment = Luongo still a Canuck

:picard:

#59 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Surprise: Nothing, I knew this team would suck this year after no changes but negative changes were made after losing to the Kings

Disappointment: The whole damn Canucks organization. Gillis is too afraid to make a move, AV is no longer listened to or taken seriously by his players. He's a coach who can't even motivate his damn team. The guy has favourite players who, in reality, suck. This guy is a cancer to the Canucks organization and both Gillis and AV should be fired.

#60 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hansen and Raymond playing well together.
Hansen and Higgins playing well together.
Hansen, Raymond, and Higgins playing well together.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.