The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Christy Clark set women back in BC Politics?

Harbinger

Will it now be harder for women in politics for BC now that Christy Clark has been such a complete failure as leader here. Will British Columbians be able to disassociate her gender with the failure which is the Liberal party of the province? Conservatives which are normally a very male oriented group are normally biased to start out with, when it comes to gender equality. Will they flock in a different way just because of that during this election cycle and future ones? Did Christy Clark just pull the rug out from many other women in BC politics?

Hopefully most people see her as incapable and not all women in politics. We all know women can do a great job at multi-tasking and running a household & family no easy task, why not run a country/province? Cant do any worse than us guys have done lately.

That is ridiculous. Anyone who associates Christy Clark's ineptitide with her gender is ignorant.

In my opinon, Dianne Watts, the mayor of Surrey, is one of the brightest and hard working politicians in BC.

So I definitely hope it doesn't set women back and I don't believe it will.

That is ridiculous. Anyone who associates Christy Clark's ineptitide with her gender is ignorant.

In my opinon, Dianne Watts, the mayor of Surrey, is one of the brightest and hard working politicians in BC.

So I definitely hope it doesn't set women back and I don't believe it will.

Look around the major cities of Richmond and Surrey. Both the major ethnicities of those municipalities are male dominated cultures. Many of them already have issues that stem from women in power. Here they can point directly to the leader of the liberal party and point out her shortcomings and just as easily direct that misguided angst at others of the same gender. I am by no means saying it will be what happens. It's just very easy to see how this could have that effect on other women of power because of her failings.

Our history is littered with Female politicians who have risen to power at a time that doomed them to stunning defeats electorally. From Kim Cambell to Grace and Christy - all 3 came into power when it was near impossible to win. I think that gives an unfair view of what women can do and had any of those 3 came to power at a different period in history it may have shown a different outcome that would be more favorable then simply taking over parties that where heading to extinction. I don't think Cristy herself has set back oppurtunities for women - we have had several from all parties that had wide spread support. Carol Taylor for one did a great job as I was sorry to see her leave politics as she was the first BC Liberal I felt ever thought about the average person and always questioned legislation - maybe that's why she is not there anymore ...

So although I am no fan of CC - I don't think one could say she has hurt or helped furthering women in poliltics.

I don't know if she has set women back but she has displayed a decent rack and above average face to the voting populace :rolleyes:

Seriously though, when she used to host that radio show kcwn or whatever, I thought, now there is someone with a level head and vision for the way things could be better or more proper, or more better.Not sure what happened there.....

Seriously though, great rack,nice smile.

Archived