Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Has Christy Clark set women back in BC Politics?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Will it now be harder for women in politics for BC now that Christy Clark has been such a complete failure as leader here. Will British Columbians be able to disassociate her gender with the failure which is the Liberal party of the province? Conservatives which are normally a very male oriented group are normally biased to start out with, when it comes to gender equality. Will they flock in a different way just because of that during this election cycle and future ones? Did Christy Clark just pull the rug out from many other women in BC politics?

Edited by Harbinger, 09 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

Posted Image

#2 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hopefully most people see her as incapable and not all women in politics. We all know women can do a great job at multi-tasking and running a household & family no easy task, why not run a country/province? Cant do any worse than us guys have done lately.

#3 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

POPULAR

That is ridiculous. Anyone who associates Christy Clark's ineptitide with her gender is ignorant.

In my opinon, Dianne Watts, the mayor of Surrey, is one of the brightest and hard working politicians in BC.

So I definitely hope it doesn't set women back and I don't believe it will.

Edited by Gross-Misconduct, 09 March 2013 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

That is ridiculous. Anyone who associates Christy Clark's ineptitide with her gender is ignorant.

In my opinon, Dianne Watts, the mayor of Surrey, is one of the brightest and hard working politicians in BC.

So I definitely hope it doesn't set women back and I don't believe it will.

Look around the major cities of Richmond and Surrey. Both the major ethnicities of those municipalities are male dominated cultures. Many of them already have issues that stem from women in power. Here they can point directly to the leader of the liberal party and point out her shortcomings and just as easily direct that misguided angst at others of the same gender. I am by no means saying it will be what happens. It's just very easy to see how this could have that effect on other women of power because of her failings.

Posted Image

#5 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Look around the major cities of Richmond and Surrey. Both the major ethnicities of those municipalities are male dominated cultures. Many of them already have issues that stem from women in power. Here they can point directly to the leader of the liberal party and point out her shortcomings and just as easily direct that misguided angst at others of the same gender. I am by no means saying it will be what happens. It's just very easy to see how this could have that effect on other women of power because of her failings.

Richmond shouldn't matter in the realm of things, seeing as we only have 3 MLA spots up for grabs per provincial election.

Surrey's different, but as Gross Misconduct alluded to earlier, Dianne Watts seems to be doing a pretty good job across the Fraser.

#6 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

For every Christy Clark, there's a Vander Zalm, Harcourt, Glen Clark, Dosanjh and Campbell.

Enough said?

#7 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Watts is as crooked as they come. She refuses to uphold city bylaws for fear it might upset a certain demographic.
Posted Image

#8 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Idiots exist of both genders, including people that think gender makes a difference to politics.

#9 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Watts is as crooked as they come. She refuses to uphold city bylaws for fear it might upset a certain demographic.

What by-laws are those?

And what is the "certain demographic"?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#10 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Our history is littered with Female politicians who have risen to power at a time that doomed them to stunning defeats electorally. From Kim Cambell to Grace and Christy - all 3 came into power when it was near impossible to win. I think that gives an unfair view of what women can do and had any of those 3 came to power at a different period in history it may have shown a different outcome that would be more favorable then simply taking over parties that where heading to extinction. I don't think Cristy herself has set back oppurtunities for women - we have had several from all parties that had wide spread support. Carol Taylor for one did a great job as I was sorry to see her leave politics as she was the first BC Liberal I felt ever thought about the average person and always questioned legislation - maybe that's why she is not there anymore ...

So although I am no fan of CC - I don't think one could say she has hurt or helped furthering women in poliltics.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#11 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,975 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

'Par' for BC politics is a gong show, so any step from that is forward or sideways, not backward.
Posted Image

#12 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I don't know if she has set women back but she has displayed a decent rack and above average face to the voting populace :rolleyes:

Seriously though, when she used to host that radio show kcwn or whatever, I thought, now there is someone with a level head and vision for the way things could be better or more proper, or more better.Not sure what happened there.....

Seriously though, great rack,nice smile.

#13 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Idiots exist of both genders, including people that think gender makes a difference to politics.

If you do NOT think gender plays a role in political affairs, you are living under a rock.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#14 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Seriously though, great rack,nice smile.

Don't forget her intelligence.... ah, who am I kidding?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.