The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You're wrong, The Canucks are better than ever

Merci

One thing the Nucks have that is never on the IR is excuses: SC hangover; this player is injured; that player has personal issues; refs are biased; Bettman hates us; too much travel; had to play a back-to-back game; first game back from a road trip; played good enough just didn't get the bounces; faced a hot (AHL) goalie.etc etc etc.

This team is always a victim of something outside of their control.

RIght now, they are simply not a top team and their team record and individual stats reflects that.

Ottawa plays a better brand of hockey with it's 3 top players out (Anderson, Karlsson, SPezza) and just beat NY in NY in the 5th game of a road trip in a game they dominated. NO excuses coming from their camp even though they are missing the equivalent of Hank, LU and BIeksa/Hamuis combined.

It's not who's injured, it's how this team is playing...crappy!

Its about time someone said it.

This team is all about excuses now, not results. And when anyone ever questions that this is an elite team they are called bandwagoners, etc. This team has no heart. They will never win anything because losing is okay with them.

thanks for a positive thread. refreshing. don't know if the canucks are better than ever ... but i do believe that with the team they have right now (without any additions/subtractions or coaching changes proposed by panicking flip-floppers) they have the potential to be better than ever. just a matter of time :towel:

Ok to actually add to this thread IMO the canucks are not better than ever. We're in trouble and in danger of not making the playoffs let alone a Stanley cup. Gillis screwed up and traded CH when our team was rolling. Kassper the ghost has not been an immediate impact player as sold to the team. Kesler is a no shoe also although he didn't do much in the playoffs anyway.

Management has to take a good long look at recent mistakes and learn from it. Gillis gets another chance from me as long as he doesn't make another absolutely horrible trade. AV should not be leaving unless there is an appropriate replacement available and I'm not sure one is or if that would help the team. We need a serious regroup and I'm not sure if that's going to be possible this season.

I'd have to agree. I posted this in a different thread, but the numbers support this Canucks team being better than previous years - even without Kesler/Booth. Here's the article from Canucks Army detailing this teams underlying statistics: http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/8/the-canucks-at-the-half-way-mark

It details the Canucks being one of the top 3 puck possession teams in the league. Say what you will about advanced stats, but dominant puck possession teams have won Stanley - LA, Boston and Det in previous yrs. Canucks accomplished this without 2 of their best puck possession players in the lineup - Booth and Kesler. I know everyone's crapping the bed about the horrible PP this yr, but we all know and have witnessed PPs going extinct in the playoffs. They're not a tool for the playoffs, they're a tool for the reg season. You HAVE to be a strong even strength team with good goaltending in this league to be successful. They're not getting the goaltending now, but they will over time given who occupies their crease. They're getting some bad luck and poor efforts right now, they will bounce back - it's inevitable IMO.

I'd have to agree. I posted this in a different thread, but the numbers support this Canucks team being better than previous years - even without Kesler/Booth. Here's the article from Canucks Army detailing this teams underlying statistics: http://canucksarmy.c...e-half-way-mark

It details the Canucks being one of the top 3 puck possession teams in the league. Say what you will about advanced stats, but dominant puck possession teams have won Stanley - LA, Boston and Det in previous yrs. Canucks accomplished this without 2 of their best puck possession players in the lineup - Booth and Kesler. I know everyone's crapping the bed about the horrible PP this yr, but we all know and have witnessed PPs going extinct in the playoffs. They're not a tool for the playoffs, they're a tool for the reg season. You HAVE to be a strong even strength team with good goaltending in this league to be successful. They're not getting the goaltending now, but they will over time given who occupies their crease. They're getting some bad luck and poor efforts right now, they will bounce back - it's inevitable IMO.

So the Canucks are better than ever? But the writer concludes that if Kesler can return to ONLY 75% (lol - that would be a huge step forward for Kesler at this point) of his career year, then he would put the Canucks in the top 23% of teams with a chance to win the Staley Cup? IF Kesler is exponentially better and healthy (never a sure thing at all)........

Think about that for a minute.......these Canucks aren't better at all.

Archived