The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Toronto Blue Jays '13 Season Thread

Gross-Misconduct

Farrell’s Treatment “A Travesty” And “Smug” Blue Jays “Can’t Lose Enough” Say Cleveland Broadcasters

http://blogs.thescor...io-broadcaster/

Drew and I got a rather interesting email from a reader today, who had happened to be listening to a Cleveland game on radio last night, as the club’s broadcasters absolutely went off on the Toronto Blue Jays, calling the club out for its smugness after their splashy off-season, for the coronation-like atmosphere at the Rogers Centre on Opening Day, and for the treatment John Farrell received on his way out the door.

The first couple things might actually be entirely fair criticisms– they claim a member of the Jays’ organization told them the club would be in the playoffs a minimum of three times in the next five years– but John Farrell’s treatment? From the Blue Jays? The hell?

Check out the audio itself, as well as a transcript, after the jump…

“Guy #1,” is the play-by-play guy, Tom Hamilton, making “Guy #2″ analyst Jim Rosenhaus. Have a listen:

Guy 1:
When does the countdown begin for John Gibbons to get fired a second time up in Canada? 8-0 Red Sox in the 7
th
. Mike Napoli’s hit 2 homers.

John Farrell has Boston at 18-8. Best record in majors. Red Sox drilling Toronto 8-0 in the 7
th

The Blue Jays can’t lose enough. Boy the smug attitude they had when we were in Canada to open the season, it was like a coronation. “Yeah, I guess we gotta play 6 months of baseball but everyone knows what what we did in the off season makes us the greatest team in the history of baseball.”

Guy #2
: It was amazing after the first 2 games of the season and they were asking Gibbons about if he was worried about the season and it was just two games in at that point.

Guy #1:
Yeah they’ll be deep into their Labbatt’s in about half an hour. The ice is just starting to thaw in Canada and they’re already mathematically eliminated. Obviously they’re not going to be mathematically eliminated but if they lose tonight they are 9 and a half games out of first , and you’re basically one month into the season. The old adage that you can’t win the pennant in April or on May 1
st
, but you sure can lose it.

Guy #2:
What has to be concerning is their pitching has really struggled and they were counting on that to be a strong suit. It sounds like RA Dickey is hurting right now.

Guy #1
: Mark Buehrle has not been very good coming back to the American League. We had a member of the blue jays organization tell us,
Opening Day!
, that in the next 5 years the Blue jays will be in the playoffs a minimum of 3 times and the world series twice. That was before they had played one game and this was a member of the blue jays organization.

Guy #2:
Confidence was not a problem.

Guy #1
: You know though, Buck Martinez, the outstanding television broadcaster, and former manager in Toronto said, “Look, as Herb [score, longtime voice of the Clevelands] used to say ‘This is why we play the games’ but as great as it looks on paper it hardly ever works in baseball, doing what Toronto did in the off season.” Basically go out and try to buy a title.

Guy #2:
And the fact that they were trying to do it with players that Miami tried it with the year before and then got rid of after their disaster.

Guy #1:
Then again, it is only May 1
st
, And they certainly can get hot, but we’ll be rooting against them.

Guy #2:
Keep those cards and letters coming folks, from north of the border.

Guy #1:
Nice people up there, but.. what they did to John Farrell was a travesty. Guess that’s where my bitterness comes from. They threw John Farrell under the bus. They blamed john for everything including their current medical plan in Canada. And now John has Boston in first with the best record in baseball. But the shots they took at John Farrell this off season, were way below the belt.

Like… seriously? I mean, if you’re going to be dicks, guys, at least have the common courtesy to not be laughably off-base– y’know, about the Farrell stuff that is, though, as an ex-member of the Cleveland organization, maybe they’ve heard some of his one-sided pissing and moaning? But, you know what, also about the whole “buying a championship” nonsense too. Didn’t Cleveland spend way more in free agency this year than the Jays did? Or was that my imagination? Also… I just… I don’t even know. Like, WTF, Cleveland?

10-2 win. Good to see Morrow with a good outing (got him on my fantasy team) Melky finally hits his 1st homer (he looked a little puffier today ;) ) Mark DeRosa went 3-5 with 1HR and 3RBI. Maybe they gotta keep this guy in the lineup.

Hmm, can he play 2B or SS. Or maybe move Lawrie to 2B.

Hmm, can he play 2B or SS. Or maybe move Lawrie to 2B.

Yeah. I obviously dont want Lawrie out of the lineup. And the Jays 2B and SS have no bat what so ever. DeRosa is listed as 3B/LeftField so I dont know if he can play those other positions. Lawrie could probably move but he makes some incredible plays at 3B. Dont wanna move him if he's the Jays best option at 3rd.

Start of the season, I thought the 2013 Toronto Blue jays were going to win the World Series, however after 37 games my views are about to change. I know they came back from a huge difaset in Tampa Bay but after taking a look at the standings I think there are not even going to make it in the play offs. JUST LOOK AT THE STANDINGS W L % GB NY Yankees 21 13 .618 - Boston 22 14 .611 - Baltimore 21 14 .600 0.5 Tampa Bay 17 18 .486 4.5 Toronto 13 24 .351 9.5

So after 40 games and a quarter of the season the Blue Jays find themselves 9.5 games back in the pack. How did they get here?

Games 1 - 10: 4 - 6 ; 1.5 games back (Boston/NY); WCB: 1.5 games back

Games 11 - 20: 4 - 6 ; 5.5 games back (Boston); WCB: 3.5 games back

Games 21 - 30: 2 - 8 ; 10.5 games back (Boston); WCB: 7.5 games back

Games 31 - 40: 6 - 4; 9.5 games back (Yankees); WCB: 6.5 games back

They finally have a winning record over a ten game stretch. Hopefully this streak continues. The next 10 games includes three games each against the Yankees, Rays and Orioles. If the Jays could win each of those series, they could start to climb out of the hole they've dug for themselves.

Blue Jays defeat the Giants 10-6.

What do you continuously make irrelevant posts like these? Jesus Christ, everyone who ventures into this thread knows the outcome of the games. 10/10 times someone would go to MLB.com to see the score, not this thread. I can see how you have 43,676 posts in 2 and a half years, constant spamming of irrelevant posts. Are you even a Blue Jays fan?

Nice to see the bats getting hot again. Dickey finally has a pretty solid outing, first one in about a month. Don't see us winning much though if we have Romero in the rotation, pretty much a guaranteed loss.

Archived