Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CanucksLegacy

[Article] Canucks hold first closed doors players only meeting, all agree something missing

198 posts in this topic

Obviously they were just hotboxing the dressing room.

What's missing from the team is common sense. Why does the coach want the powerplay to practice retrieving pucks from shots? They should be practicing entry into the zone and scoring. The team looks tired and lazy so let's make them do pushups to make them even more tired. SMH!

I have rarely seen the Canucks over the years that AV has coached raise their game appropriately. They either play too hard like they did in all 82 regular season games in the cup run year when they should be resting near the end, showed no fight in the game 7 in the cup final and were too lazy and overconfident last year. I don't watch this team and think to myself by the way they play they deserve respect. A team like the Hawks who tear it up on a record long win streak and even down 4-0 fight to make it close at 6-5 is a team I can understand. It's simple... they play to score goals and their weaknesses were defense and special teams and they worked hard to address them. They have pride so they make a game of it when they're down. When they won the cup they deserved to win the cup because they steamrolled teams by having work ethic, talent, strategy and swagger integrated into their winning style of play.

The Canucks no matter how strong or weak their depth is, no matter how strong/weak their opponent is, makes their primary strategy to have goaltending games close and win by a fluky goal or opportune moment. The team I want to see is one that is not afraid to demolish teams by scoring goals or step off the gas a little knowing that they can score easy goals due to talent like Hodgson could do at times last year and let the D and goaltending just be solid enough to beat inferior teams.

It's the management and coaching combined that have a moneyball philosophy which was based on an Oakland A's team that didn't really do anything except overachieve one year and relied on star pitching which is the equivalence of goaltending in hockey. The Canucks need to get real winners with real talent and a coach to not be scared to use it even if they F up a few times with turnovers.

Cluttersuck you psychopath. Koivu, I remember you you dirty dog.

Doesn't matter how many bloody team meetings are called, when your captains and team leaders (Hank and Dank) are not leading on the ice then in the words of the immortal Bill Murray...I just doesn't matter!

That first line always seems to get caught running around in the defensive zone, the twins don't hit, block shots, kill penalties...all the things leaders of teams do to lead their teammates by example. I'm talking heart and soul team captains like Ryan Callahan, Dustin Brown, Toews, Landeskog, Ladd, Backes...etc. Even Sid the kid and Danny Alfredsson, while highly skilled, are stalwarts defensively and have an edge to their game that can inspire teammates.

I'm not down on the twins, I'm just suggesting that I think leaders that do more of the grunt work may be better able to rally the troops. Then again, maybe I'm way off on this.

I disagree.

We have several D who can make a good outlet pass! Problem is thats all they can do; not one can lug the puck out against pressure. And they're all lefties.

So in comes the left side lock and a forechecker to force our 5 left D up against the wall on their backhand to get the puck out; with three guys patrolling to pick off the pass.

:picard:

2knd; ref's have started to swallow!

17 penalties we've drawn the last 7 games. We drew 37 our first 7 games! If guys can clutch and grab our talent based play; we're F'D...

3rd;

we haven't scored in our last 20 PP's

Not much left? We need a trade to rejuvenate things!

3 words

decent outlet pass.

none of our dman can consistantly make it..

find someone that can do it, you will generate speed and an actual transition/puck possession, and you will see a return to that.

I disagree.

We have several D who can make a good outlet pass! Problem is thats all they can do; not one can lug the puck out against pressure. And they're all lefties.

So in comes the left side lock and a forechecker to force our 5 left D up against the wall on their backhand to get the puck out; with three guys patrolling to pick off the pass.

:picard:

2knd; ref's have started to swallow!

17 penalties we've drawn the last 7 games. We drew 37 our first 7 games! If guys can clutch and grab our talent based play; we're F'D...

3rd;

we haven't scored in our last 20 PP's

Not much left? We need a trade to rejuvenate things!

Those two showed exactly what I wish our guys would show in a game of this meaning.....why was burrows our only guy actually responding to the embarrassment that us thus teams effort lately....

And a side note: Anyone bad mouthing sestito can take a seat....this guy has shown up and played his role to a tee for guys he doesn't even know....and he's done it every night since hes been in a nucks sweater...some of the so called core group should pay back some respect to this guy and make an NHL level play out there let alone score a goal.

Bunch of coddled floaters.

There getting together to celebrate the upcoming of AV finally being fired and getting a new coach.

Doesn't matter how many bloody team meetings are called, when your captains and team leaders (Hank and Dank) are not leading on the ice then in the words of the immortal Bill Murray...I just doesn't matter!

That first line always seems to get caught running around in the defensive zone, the twins don't hit, block shots, kill penalties...all the things leaders of teams do to lead their teammates by example. I'm talking heart and soul team captains like Ryan Callahan, Dustin Brown, Toews, Landeskog, Ladd, Backes...etc. Even Sid the kid and Danny Alfredsson, while highly skilled, are stalwarts defensively and have an edge to their game that can inspire teammates.

I'm not down on the twins, I'm just suggesting that I think leaders that do more of the grunt work may be better able to rally the troops. Then again, maybe I'm way off on this.

Edmonton had a closed door players only meeting as well. Came out to a 4-0 lead in the first period against Chicago. Held on to beat them 6-5. ... just saying.

Edmonton had a closed door meeting as well. Came out to a 4-0 lead in the first period against Chicago. Held on to beat them 6-5. ... just saying.

I'm wondering how much of the problem is due to not having consistent forward lines.  I would like to see AV keep the lines intact for a few games thus allowing each player to develop a sense of confidence in their linemates and know what each other will do.  I thought that Kassian being on the top line with the Sedins was a great move that seemed to payoff.  With Kesler out the second line is a problem but with Burr, Booth and HIggins there could be some experimenting there trying burr at centre.  The third line with Raymond, Schroeder and Hansen was fast and had some offensive ability.  The fourth line of Lapierre, Wiese and Sestito has some size and ability to tie up the opposition.  This will probably not solve all the problems the team is experiencing but may help.

I'm wondering how much of the problem is due to not having consistent forward lines. I would like to see AV keep the lines intact for a few games thus allowing each player to develop a sense of confidence in their linemates and know what each other will do. I thought that Kassian being on the top line with the Sedins was a great move that seemed to payoff. With Kesler out the second line is a problem but with Burr, Booth and HIggins there could be some experimenting there trying burr at centre. The third line with Raymond, Schroeder and Hansen was fast and had some offensive ability. The fourth line of Lapierre, Wiese and Sestito has some size and ability to tie up the opposition. This will probably not solve all the problems the team may help.

What's missing from the team is common sense. Why does the coach want the powerplay to practice retrieving pucks from shots? They should be practicing entry into the zone and scoring. The team looks tired and lazy so let's make them do pushups to make them even more tired.

Forget about the first half of the season. The real season begins now and into the playoffs.

True, except that's what everyone was saying at the tail end of last season. And we all know how that worked out.

Edmonton had a closed door players only meeting as well. Came out to a 4-0 lead in the first period against Chicago. Held on to beat them 6-5. ... just saying.

Apparently the Flyers also had a closed door players meeting yesterday. Granted they were playing the Sabres, but they came out and pounded the Sabres physically (including a couple of questionable hits) and won.

Think about it...the Oil and Flyers come out flying after their meetings yesterday...the Canucks come out after theirs and give up a goal 20 seconds into the game on their way to getting down 3 - 0 early.

And not just any game, but against a division rival with first place on the line. If that alone doesn't get this team motivated, there are deeper problems with this group than we know.

I don't think there are any culture problems with the team. However, I agree with Dib that there simply isn't enough scoring talent.

My wish list for this team right now is:

Playmaking winger

Veteran bottom 6 center

Puckmoving defenceman

That's a serious list. Knowing Gillis, he'll decide the team still isn't tough enough and throw a couple of prospects and high draft picks at yet another plug who can't score or make a tape to tape pass to save his life.