The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Canucks hold first closed doors players only meeting, all agree something missing

CanucksLegacy

Well said, Joe.

I think it's funny that some think it's cut and dry and have a point to prove in that. I see all sides in this - the people who are expecting more from the team - sure. Those who don't think our team needs dismantling and have confidence in the group we do have - yep, count me in. No playoff "switches" - just that the team may put it together when needed most. They ARE a group capable of doing more, so why not expect that they will?

Good teams do struggle at times...doesn't mean they're not good teams.

I'm also a Lions fan and 2011 (and the beginning of 2010 too) most people were writing them off. Selling the farm. I knew we had a good group of guys who were "capable" of doing more...and they eventually did turn things around. I hung in there and got to see them win a GC at home.

Same thing here...not, necessarily, a signficant deficiency in the roster, just that some weren't/aren't meeting their potential. Guys slump. Teams slump. People here are spoiled...they expect a winning team without any faltering. Even the best players lose at times. Have periods of being "off".

Those puffing out their chests in a "see, told ya so" way need to understand that it isn't a crime to believe in your team and there is no "right/wrong"...it's all a matter of personal opinion.

TAke Ehrhoff and Salo away from the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and you have a totally different hockey team.

Thats what the team is looking like right now in 2013. You took away the player that made the Sedins back to back Art Ross winners, followed by a lethal power play, and not really replace him with anyone.

i still laugh when i hear people who think they see things in games that management, coaches and players don't see...coaches go over game film, make players watch the mistakes they make and work on ways to improve their play....the team hasn't been playing bad hockey, they just aren't playing as good as they could. i'm sure every games the players go out with performing better in their minds....if our power play was working, those one goal loses would be wins and we wouldn't be going through this same testimony every year....not having a true 2nd line center has hurt, plus having too many left handed D-men who can't play well on the right side has caused a shuffling of D-men around and broke up the combinations that work....these aren't as much excuses as they are obsticles that the team has to over come...

i've coached teams that went out and to a man, thought they were giving it their all....and maybe they were, mentally...this team will turn it around or gillis will make changes, if he can...

the term bandwagoners, are those who give up on their team when they are losing, not those who criticize the team....

Well said, Joe.

I think it's funny that some think it's cut and dry and have a point to prove in that. I see all sides in this - the people who are expecting more from the team - sure. Those who don't think our team needs dismantling and have confidence in the group we do have - yep, count me in. No playoff "switches" - just that the team may put it together when needed most. They ARE a group capable of doing more, so why not expect that they will?

Good teams do struggle at times...doesn't mean they're not good teams.

I'm also a Lions fan and 2011 (and the beginning of 2010 too) most people were writing them off. Selling the farm. I knew we had a good group of guys who were "capable" of doing more...and they eventually did turn things around. I hung in there and got to see them win a GC at home.

Same thing here...not, necessarily, a signficant deficiency in the roster, just that some weren't/aren't meeting their potential. Guys slump. Teams slump. People here are spoiled...they expect a winning team without any faltering. Even the best players lose at times. Have periods of being "off".

Those puffing out their chests in a "see, told ya so" way need to understand that it isn't a crime to believe in your team and there is no "right/wrong"...it's all a matter of personal opinion.

http://www.theprovin...html?id=8075277

Thought it was an interesting article in lieu of all the CDC reaction so far and how people perceive things. AV showing a little more tough love with the power play drill (doing push-ups if they didn't retrieve puck after it was shot on net).

I thought this reaction from both the players and coaches is one that could describe as "better late than never". It seems that they concluded there was a lack of desperation/urgency, that hunger for the win, isn't that what people here have been saying? I think things will gradually trend up, but it'll be a process.

it's a slump that's now lasted a season and a half.

the issue as i see it is that people still view this as the same team that went to the cup finals. it's not. that was a team with unbelievable confidence and chemistry, and that had a bunch of guys that strung together career years because they believed they could win.

the current team is a downgrade at every position other than goalie, and none of those intangibles remain. they were shown that they can't win in 2011 and rather than upgrading the areas they needed to, they stood pat and/or got worse.

the one constant amongst winning teams is proactive change, and this management team has failed to do that. all they've done is hitch their wagon to the wrong horses and given them longterm, almost unmovable contracts, while leaving the prospect pool barren of talent capable of taking over anytime soon, if ever.

frankly, mile gillis is a fraud and all of his proclamations about this organization and the direction it's moving/has moved since he took over are lies. yes the canucks spend more money on scouting than any other team, and yes they still have arguably the worst prospect pool in the league. yes, they've tried to make vancouver a "destination" for free agents, and yes they still haven't managed to lure in a single big name that either wasn't there already or didn't have strong ties to bc. he promised teams based on speed and skill and has delivered a bunch of p_ssies that play only for the powerplay.

clean house, from the top down. bring in jim nill, lindy ruff, and some other experienced, honorable front office and coaching staff.

it's all a matter of personal opinion, including yours.

Just because Hank says team is playing well, doesn't mean he actually believes it. He is just placating the media. It is easier on him to say the Canucks are playing well. If he says they aren't playing well, the next question asked is "why?", "what is the reason for playing poorly?". Answers to this question just open up the possibility for rifts within the dressing room if some players feel they are being blamed for the lack of success. At this point in the season, everyone on the team is accountable, they are all playing less than what is acceptable.

Finally. Have been waiting for some of these.... Anyway, I am confident in this group still. We have star players that can elevate their game and I'm sure they will. This means you: Sedins, Edler, Burrows (Kes when he gets back).

I predict a very good run from here on in: I say 16-5-4

Archived