The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Canucks hold first closed doors players only meeting, all agree something missing

CanucksLegacy

it's a slump that's now lasted a season and a half.

the issue as i see it is that people still view this as the same team that went to the cup finals. it's not. that was a team with unbelievable confidence and chemistry, and that had a bunch of guys that strung together career years because they believed they could win.

the current team is a downgrade at every position other than goalie, and none of those intangibles remain. they were shown that they can't win in 2011 and rather than upgrading the areas they needed to, they stood pat and/or got worse.

the one constant amongst winning teams is proactive change, and this management team has failed to do that. all they've done is hitch their wagon to the wrong horses and given them longterm, almost unmovable contracts, while leaving the prospect pool barren of talent capable of taking over anytime soon, if ever.

frankly, mile gillis is a fraud and all of his proclamations about this organization and the direction it's moving/has moved since he took over are lies. yes the canucks spend more money on scouting than any other team, and yes they still have arguably the worst prospect pool in the league. yes, they've tried to make vancouver a "destination" for free agents, and yes they still haven't managed to lure in a single big name that either wasn't there already or didn't have strong ties to bc. he promised teams based on speed and skill and has delivered a bunch of p_ssies that play only for the powerplay.

clean house, from the top down. bring in jim nill, lindy ruff, and some other experienced, honorable front office and coaching staff.

The slump started right after Cody hodgson was traded. I have been keeping tabs and we haven't played as good before that exact trade. Coincidence maybe or maybe just a really bad move that upset the ballance.

Well I hope this is a wake up call to some of our under-performers. Our forwards have to start playing like forwards and actually score some goals; conversely I think our D have to play like D and start shutting teams down instead of pinching every chance they get. You know you're playing bad when you have to fight off Minnesota for the NW division lead.

I also hope this gives our guys some cohesion against our current coaching staff. I mean pushups... and 160 of them, in a shortened season is harsh. It would make more sense to be doing cardio exercises, like bag skates.

It seems guys like Booth and Ballard are just there for the paycheck, while guys like Schroeder are waiting for Pinizzotto to be reassigned, and ultimately lose their roster position. It's time to stop treading water

This is true, we took out our third highest offensive player (one that passes to boot) and never replaced him. We need a player with skill in a big way I'm sick of the "money ball". Money ball only works in baseball, filling your team with a bunch of mid level plugs is not for hockey.

The slump started right after Cody hodgson was traded. I have been keeping tabs and we haven't played as good before that exact trade. Coincidence maybe or maybe just a really bad move that upset the ballance.

objective analysis isn't a matter of opinion, and hiding behind that statement is a cop-out.

I just am not as jaded as you are. You watch, it seems, only for wins - cup or bust. I watch for the entertainment value and, yes, lately that has diminished somewhat. But I am not an "Oh my God, we have to win every game or we're doomed" supporter. Objective means you have to look at the good, not just the bad. I don't know that you've done that. The good? - we have a shot to take a run more than with any other team/management in the past. Pretending that it isn't true is also a cop out.

You call people delusional and talk like you have all the answers. I'm not convinced that you do.

TAke Ehrhoff and Salo away from the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and you have a totally different hockey team.

Thats what the team is looking like right now in 2013. You took away the player that made the Sedins back to back Art Ross winners, followed by a lethal power play, and not really replace him with anyone.

I'm encouraged the team has identified they have issues with effort and execution.

A bit disappointing they only took 5 minutes to discuss it but that kind of reflects the kined of effort they've been putting in on the ice that has caused the problem in the first place.

Don't think they should have discussed or even acknowledged the meeting to the press. WHy let other teams and the press in on team matters and explain your plan to improve?

I'm concerned that Hank thinks they've been playing well when clearly, they have not played well in any of the 3 zones. Their wins this year have all relied on stellar golatending. When that's not there, they lose, sometimes badly. Their execution has been brutal and missed assignments in the D zone glaring - the last being Hank backing away from the CBJ game winning scorer as if the guy had a bomb strapped to his chest. Not sure how you lead th team to being more intense with that kind of an example from the captain.

Even if they up their compete level, this team is missing key pieces and has been since the SCF of 2011. The jury is out on whether the "project" players and third liners can elevate their game to fill the holes Gillis has not been able or willing to with proven talent. So far, it does not look like they have the finish or talent/ability to consistently perform in top 6 roles.

I have no problem with those (Deb) who still believe this team, that went to the SCF 2 years ago is a great team and can do it again. I just don't agree. This isn't the same team which had defficiencies even in 2011 that were exposed by both Chicago and Boston. GIllis has not addressed those. Other teams have upgraded and improved many with major acquisitions while the Nucks have stayed with the same core and added "support" players while spending to the cap limit. While the Nucks have very little room to go after any top player, teams like Boston and Anaheim have left enough room to add significant pieces to carry them over the top.

Other teams, like Philly seem open to making a big move to right the ship while Gillis preaches faith in his group and a willingness to ride things out with what he has.

IN the end, I continue to hope this team can somehow find the magic pill that elevates their game to the next level. Until I see that happen, I remain unconvinced this team has the horses to compete against the top teams in the league on a consistent basis or in a 7 games series regardless of how hard they try.

the sedin line is scoring regularly....burrows is taking a pounding as he screens the goalie.....

raymond has been a surprise as a center ice fill in...he has been driving to the net...

higgins and hansen are adequate third liners trying to be 2nd liners....

booth has been driving to the net but seems to have forgotten how to score....skating well.

schroeder and kassian have been inconsistent.

our goalies seem to be a bit snake bit at times....lots to do with team turn overs

our defense has suffered since the tandums have been split up.....hamhuis has struggled greatly as has edler, ballard and garrison...bieksa and hamhuis; tanev and ballard were both playing well....the problem came with edler and garrison together.

edler is not effective on the right side...nor is ballard and garrison.....bieksa and tanev have given us stable D on the right side...

tanev seems to make, ballard and garrison better but can't play with both.....

this team needs mostly a 3rd line center that can move up to 2nd line and not miss a beat....and another tanev or bieksa for defense. mostly they need to get the power play working....is newell brown the problem or is it personel?

i know enough about hockey to believe this team has good enough players to win their division...to win the cup, i'm not as sure..

gillis has said, he's trying to upgrade the team....i hope he can....until then, i'm going to stand behind this group and cheer them on. i'll leave the wanna be GM's, coaches and players to tear the team down.

Well said, Joe.

I think it's funny that some think it's cut and dry and have a point to prove in that. I see all sides in this - the people who are expecting more from the team - sure. Those who don't think our team needs dismantling and have confidence in the group we do have - yep, count me in. No playoff "switches" - just that the team may put it together when needed most. They ARE a group capable of doing more, so why not expect that they will?

Good teams do struggle at times...doesn't mean they're not good teams.

I'm also a Lions fan and 2011 (and the beginning of 2010 too) most people were writing them off. Selling the farm. I knew we had a good group of guys who were "capable" of doing more...and they eventually did turn things around. I hung in there and got to see them win a GC at home.

Same thing here...not, necessarily, a signficant deficiency in the roster, just that some weren't/aren't meeting their potential. Guys slump. Teams slump. People here are spoiled...they expect a winning team without any faltering. Even the best players lose at times. Have periods of being "off".

Those puffing out their chests in a "see, told ya so" way need to understand that it isn't a crime to believe in your team and there is no "right/wrong"...it's all a matter of personal opinion.

Archived