The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to Increase Offense in the NHL

OrrFour

NHL players are such great skaters that there is less and less time and space to create offense. In 81-82 the average goals/game was 8.025 but in 2011-12 it was 5.32.

The league knows this is a problem and has made some changes already.

-They now allow goals to be scored with the skates if there is no kicking motion (unless he's a Canuck).

-They changed goalie equipment and are looking at more changes to goalie pad size.

-They added the goalie trapezoid.

-Players can no longer close their hand on the puck.

-They made changes to interference rules which have helped in the regular season, but in the playoffs these rules are not strictly enforced. There needs to be rule changes that are not judgement calls which will be ignored in the playoffs.

Here are some other changes that I've heard discussed::

1. Larger nets. Larger goalies, gloves, jerseys, and pads, so why not larger nets?

2. On the hotstove tonight Healy mentioned one simple change.

He basically said that in overtime the teams should switch ends so that their benches are further away. He said more goals are scored in the second period due to the longer distance for line changes.

I think it's a great idea, in fact, I think they should play the first, third and overtime periods this way.

3. Make it easier to stay onside so that players enter the offensive zone with speed. Change the rule slightly so that instead of the puck having to completely cross the leading edge of the blueline the puck only has to make contact with the leading edge of the blueline. This will make a small, but noticeable difference.

4. Allow hand passes all over the ice instead of only in the defensive zone. They've made it more difficult for the defense this yr by emphasizing that players cannot close their hand on the puck. Allow players to do the same on offense as on defense. Much better than a faceoff everytime this happens. (Interestingly, this year the NHL has made it a penalty to use a hand pass to win a faceoff.)

5. Break the trap. The trap works by compacting the defence. All five defenders retreat to the red line (or thereabouts) and force the puck carrier to stickhandle into a double team or shoot the puck in. Here's my, admittedly radical, solution.

When there is no defensive player in the offensive team's end of the rink (marked by the blueline),.the offensive team will be allowed to shoot the puck into the offensive end without being called for offside or icing

For example, if Edler skates the puck out from behind his goal and there are no Predators in his end of the ice (marked by his blueline), then he would be allowed to shoot the puck into the Pred's end and Kesler could be waiting at Pekka Rinne's goal before the puck even crosses their blueline.

Go ahead and criticize these suggested changes, but please don't discuss whether the NHL needs more goals or not. Create your own thread about that topic if you'd like.

I don't understand why more goals would be needed. I think most hockey fans also enjoy the pretty passing and nice defensive plays, not just the scoring. Why change it to put an even heavier emphasis on one aspect of the game to the detriment of the others?

[Edit: I obviously misunderstood the OP in my morning fog. Switch sides, rather than benches, makes way more sense and is actually a good idea...]

As for the switching the benches idea, don't most arenas have access to the dressing rooms directly behind the benches, meaning teams would have to cross paths yet again after the game to get to their dressing room? That seems like you'd just be asking for trouble in heated games, not to mention a long boring wait for fans while teams packed up their stuff (bottles, towels, extra sticks, etc.) to move from one bench to the other. It'd be easier and quicker to just clean the ice and have the goalies switch sides again.

Larger nets would just mean more crappy goals would go in. There is such a thing as an exciting 1-1 game when there is a goalie duel.

It's the obstruction that makes trapping work that kills the flow. Police that and the offence will follow.

I've been saying it for years that they need to make the ice surface bigger, go to olympic size rinks. There is a lot of upside to it, not going to get into all the details, but for some, more room and time with the puck to make better decisions, more time to react to a player coming to hit you to cut down on injuries. More open ice just can create so much more offense, the possibly of more breakaways like it was back in the 80's and 90's. Everyone enjoys watching 4 on 4 hockey because there's so much more open ice, and you get to see more scoring chances, that's what it would be like 5 on 5 all the time.

Anyways it's just the hit it will take to build, and it would cost the NHL some money not like they don't have enough, but this is why they make all these other little changes. They don't want to pay to make all the rinks bigger, even though it's the right thing to do, they don't want to spend money, rather see players get hurt and suspend players to make even more money. I've been saying it for years, this league needs to go to olympic size rinks, to make the game more safer and exciting.

I don't understand why more goals would be needed. I think most hockey fans also enjoy the pretty passing and nice defensive plays, not just the scoring. Why change it to put an even heavier emphasis on one aspect of the game to the detriment of the others?

As for the switching the benches idea, don't most arenas have access to the dressing rooms directly behind the benches, meaning teams would have to cross paths yet again after the game to get to their dressing room? That seems like you'd just be asking for trouble in heated games, not to mention a long boring wait for fans while teams packed up their stuff (bottles, towels, extra sticks, etc.) to move from one bench to the other. It'd be easier and quicker to just clean the ice and have the goalies switch sides again.

@/user/92654-how-the-west-was-won/">How_the_west_was_won

5. To break the trap the offensive player would be allowed to ice the puck and his teammates would be allowed to be offside.

So the trapping team is hampered by an opponent (Edler) that can shoot the puck to the end of the rink and his teammate (Kesler) would be able to skate to the end of the rink without being called for offside.

This would stretch the defense and severely weaken the trap.

I've been saying it for years that they need to make the ice surface bigger, go to olympic size rinks. There is a lot of upside to it, not going to get into all the details, but for some, more room and time with the puck to make better decisions, more time to react to a player coming to hit you to cut down on injuries. More open ice just can create so much more offense, the possibly of more breakaways like it was back in the 80's and 90's. Everyone enjoys watching 4 on 4 hockey because there's so much more open ice, and you get to see more scoring chances, that's what it would be like 5 on 5 all the time.

Anyways it's just the hit it will take to build, and it would cost the NHL some money not like they don't have enough, but this is why they make all these other little changes. They don't want to pay to make all the rinks bigger, even though it's the right thing to do, they don't want to spend money, rather see players get hurt and suspend players to make even more money. I've been saying it for years, this league needs to go to olympic size rinks, to make the game more safer and exciting.

Larger nets would just mean more crappy goals would go in. There is such a thing as an exciting 1-1 game when there is a goalie duel.

It's the obstruction that makes trapping work that kills the flow. Police that and the offence will follow.

@/user/92654-how-the-west-was-won/">How_the_west_was_won

5. To break the trap the offensive player would be allowed to ice the puck and his teammates would be allowed to be offside.

So the trapping team is hampered by an opponent (Edler) that can shoot the puck to the end of the rink and his teammate (Kesler) would be able to skate to the end of the rink without being called for offside.

This would stretch the defense and severely weaken the trap.

drop some crap teams from the League and have more talent on the remaining teams .?

get rid of the high sticking call when it is hit with a stick? what kind of rule is that . you are supposed to use your stick on the puck so what does it matter if it is 1 foot off the ice or 6 feet.

make all D men play with 4ft sticks.

make goalies wear blinders so they can only see straight ahead and have 0 (zero) peripheral vision.

take away the goalie's stick.

give a penalty shot plus a 2 man advantage (if they do not score on the penalty shot) instead of just the penalty shot.

all bad ideas. but hey i am sure more goals would be scored

Archived