The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to Increase Offense in the NHL

OrrFour

I'm pretty sure the idea of changing the net size was floated around before. I remember years ago Luongo said if they made the nets bigger he would retire. It never really seemed to take off after that. I don't think the GMs were in favour of the idea either.

I'm pretty sure the idea of changing the net size was floated around before. I remember years ago Luongo said if they made the nets bigger he would retire. It never really seemed to take off after that. I don't think the GMs were in favour of the idea either.

I really like your "Break the trap" idea.

The league should have done something about this 20 years ago, the day after the Devils won the cup.

Allowing the trap to exist cost then their TV deal with fox and MILLIONS of dollars in revenue.

My idea is sort of a reverse offside:

So long as the puck remains in the offensive zone at last 2 fore checkers must be pressuring the puck carrier with due urgency. If all offensive players retreat to the neutral zone with the puck still in their offensive zone that team is guilty of "Trapping" and is given a penalty. 1st time in a game 2 min, second time 5 min.

At any rate, whether it's my idea, yours or a different one, that fact remains the THE TRAP MUST BE TAKEN OUT OF HOCKEY ONCE AND FOR ALL.

you will never see goal totals like you did in the 80's not only was the equipment size a lot smaller on goalies but the talent pool was quite small compared to today you have teams for the most part with true number 1 goalies that can steal games and even capable back ups that are better than the starters from the 80's

you will never see goal totals like you did in the 80's not only was the equipment size a lot smaller on goalies but the talent pool was quite small compared to today you have teams for the most part with true number 1 goalies that can steal games and even capable back ups that are better than the starters from the 80's

I really like your "Break the trap" idea.

The league should have done something about this 20 years ago, the day after the Devils won the cup.

Allowing the trap to exist cost then their TV deal with fox and MILLIONS of dollars in revenue.

My idea is sort of a reverse offside:

So long as the puck remains in the offensive zone at last 2 fore checkers must be pressuring the puck carrier with due urgency. If all offensive players retreat to the neutral zone with the puck still in their offensive zone that team is guilty of "Trapping" and is given a penalty. 1st time in a game 2 min, second time 5 min.

At any rate, whether it's my idea, yours or a different one, that fact remains the THE TRAP MUST BE TAKEN OUT OF HOCKEY ONCE AND FOR ALL.

well i know many will disagree with me, but i think the game is just fine the way it is right now. i don't think we need more goals. evert goal is very important, but isn't a death sentence. as we have it now, it's the most exciting sport in the world. lets not tweak it. it's not broke. lets not fix it.

Interesting solution. I don't think the forecheckers need to be pressuring the puck carrier. Even if they are requred to be in their offensive zone this might be enough.

obviously the rule wouldn't apply on line changes or other instances when players can't get to the offensive zone in time.

I'd like to see this on the ice.

Was listening to the radio and got a couple more.

1. Do not allow teams to ice the puck when killing a penalty.

This would result in tired players with a faceoff in their end.

2. All faceoffs would occur only in either team's ends.

No more neutral zone faceoffs except for the beginning of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to see that Mike Babcock agrees with me about bigger nets.

Babcock advocates bigger nets

Jason Brough

Mar 20, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT

80 Comments

Remember when goalies were really small? No? Well, you must be young then. Because they used to be a lot smaller.

Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock remembers those days. In fact, his boss, Detroit general manager Ken Holland, was one of those small goalies.

“My general manager used to be a goalie, have you seen the size of him?” Babcock told ESPN’s Craig Custance recently. “No really. Have you seen the size of the goalies?”

Babcock’s point: something has to be done to get goal-scoring back to the levels the NHL experienced in the days of the small goalie. Whether it’s shrinking the size of equipment or — gasp — increasing the size of the net.

“If the goalies [are] getting bigger then the net is getting smaller,” Babcock said. “By refusing to change you are changing. Purists would say you can’t do it because you’re changing the game but by not changing you are changing the game.”

NHL general managers, including Holland, are meeting in Toronto today to discuss, among many other things, the size of goalie equipment and how it may be reduced safely.

Ban the glove hand pass all together, it only serves to help a floundering defense.

Increase goalie safety inside the crease, decrease goalie "Special Status" outside the crease.

Ditch tag-up offside rule, it also only helps defensemen in trouble outside the blueline.

Ban all goals deflected off offensive players skate, this would increase integrity not scoring.

I have a few suggestions:

(1) Move the blue line out 2' from the end boards so that there is more space in the offensive zone (neutral zone loses 4' of ice in total). This will add another 170 square feet of ice in the offensive zone. More offensive zone ice should allow for more scoring chances.

(2) Move the icing from the centre line to your blue line...that is, you can dump the puck in from your side of the centre ice as long as you have crossed your blue line. If you shoot the puck in from your side of the blue line, it's an icing. This will allow teams to dump the puck in with forwards going top speed (i.e., Hawks' stretch passes that they employed during their cup winning season, and what Hank and Daniel did vs. Detroit) and will also force the defensive coverage to stretch out, so it becomes a means to break down the neutral zone trap (as long as you can get the puck through). If the puck doesn't get through, there's a good chance that there is an odd man rush coming back at you (more scoring chances).

(3) Go back to the dimensions of the square goal crease. Paint this part of the ice blue and no opposing skaters are allowed in this part of the ice. If the goalie leaves this space, he is fair game as any other player -- he can be bumped if playing the puck (i.e., save or puck handling), but cannot be interfered like any other player on the ice if he's not playing the puck. I find that we are living in an era where goalies are too protected (big gear, no touch on goalie rules). This may force goalies to play deeper in the crease, which should lead to better puck battles in front of the net, resulting in more chances to score.

(4) Prohibit goalies from entering the space behind the goal line. Allow goalies to handle the puck while it's behind the goal line only if they are standing on the "correct" side of the goal line. This will allow for offensive team to retrieve pucks more effectively leading to more scoring chances.

(5) Forgot one...allow line changes only while the play is going on.

Let the coaches challenge a play, if they're wrong give the team a delay of game penalty and take away their timeout.

I'm not big on making the nets bigger, this isn't soccer. Goalies have just gotten better it's as simple as that. Any new rule they implement, teams will find a way to defend.

5. Break the trap. The trap works by compacting the defence. All five defenders retreat to the red line (or thereabouts) and force the puck carrier to stickhandle into a double team or shoot the puck in. Here's my, admittedly radical, solution.

When there is no defensive player in the offensive team's end of the rink (marked by the blueline),.the offensive team will be allowed to shoot the puck into the offensive end without being called for offside or icing

Archived