The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to Increase Offense in the NHL

OrrFour

Floating blue line eh...?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but it is pretty drastic. Maybe something to test out in AHL or pre-season or something. I almost feel like instant implementation could result in more injuries (change in conditioning or tactics or something), so it would have to be done slowly.

Frankly, though, the NHL doesn't need such a drastic change. Clearly if the game has been offensive before, it can be again without overhauling the system. I just feel like the NHL isn't truly invested in this, and if they were, something would've already been done about it. (ie. reffing and consistency)

It is interesting isn't it? I'd been wondering why they were all switching to white pads...

But I think the issue is that the lowered scoring is more a result of changes to the game itself than anyone's equipment. It used to be more scoring focused and the defensive aspect was weaker. Now, the game has transitioned to a more defensive focus and that's likely the real issue behind the lowered scoring. I'm not sure how that can be addressed, or even if it should to be honest. It's just the evolution of the game. I guess I just don't understand how retarding, or even reversing that natural evolution will improve the game.

The one thing I'd personally like to see that would lead to increased scoring, though, is the NHL making some actual effort towards ensuring more consistency in reffing. If some players/teams weren't allowed to interfere, hook, grab and otherwise keep the other team from scoring illegally without getting called most of the time, games would likely be higher scoring. If all deserved penalties were called, the increased number of PPs alone would likely increase overall scoring. Once players got used to how games were getting called, they would simply learn to stop relying on those tactics to prevent goals. It would likely force the game to evolve again, but in the meantime it would result in more scoring.

For me, protecting (restoring?) the integrity of the game is a higher priority than increasing just the entertainment value because the two are intrinsically linked.

My suggestion on increasing scoring... don't let a guy out of the penalty box following a power play goal. Make him serve the whole penalty.

Same goes for delayed penalties. If you score when the ref has his arm in the air for a delayed call, the offending player should still serve his penalty.

The game will never be officiated with the 'integrity' that you speak of. The nhl has a long tradition of 'letting the players decide the game'.

For this reason the nhl has to find other ways to increase scoring that are not judgement calls by officials. For example, bigger nets or the floating blueline.

Hate to beat a dead horse.....but.

Floating blueline:

1. Easier to gain line with possession = better flow and less stoppages.

2. Less offsides...which means less times 5 players between you and the goal.

3. Larger attack zone = more scoring chances.

4. Makes ice bigger without costing anything.

5. Gives defenseman more room to give and go or control a puck that hopped over the line because of crap ice.

6. Less tagging up where a defenseman is forced to dump = more possession.

7. Easier for a team to wear down defense as more room to cycle.

8. Power plays are better = less obstruction and stupidity.

9. Greater emphasis on mobile defense = less clunkers that slam pucks off glass.

Opinions???

Floating blue line eh...?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but it is pretty drastic. Maybe something to test out in AHL or pre-season or something. I almost feel like instant implementation could result in more injuries (change in conditioning or tactics or something), so it would have to be done slowly.

Frankly, though, the NHL doesn't need such a drastic change. Clearly if the game has been offensive before, it can be again without overhauling the system. I just feel like the NHL isn't truly invested in this, and if they were, something would've already been done about it. (ie. reffing and consistency)

Thing is, and maybe I am just reiterating, the point of integrous and consistent penalties is not to increase scoring on the power plays, but to create habits during 5 on 5. If a player knows they will be called EVERY time for hooking, they will hook that much less. Creates an open and flowing game. Even more, it removes the judgement aspect of reffing that much if a penalty is a penalty. That way they don't have to use their discretion.

NHL players are such great skaters that there is less and less time and space to create offense. In 81-82 the average goals/game was 8.025 but in 2011-12 it was 5.32.

The league knows this is a problem and has made some changes already.

-They now allow goals to be scored with the skates if there is no kicking motion (unless he's a Canuck).

-They changed goalie equipment and are looking at more changes to goalie pad size.

-They added the goalie trapezoid.

-Players can no longer close their hand on the puck.

-They made changes to interference rules which have helped in the regular season, but in the playoffs these rules are not strictly enforced. There needs to be rule changes that are not judgement calls which will be ignored in the playoffs.

Here are some other changes that I've heard discussed::

1. Larger nets. Larger goalies, gloves, jerseys, and pads, so why not larger nets?

2. On the hotstove tonight Healy mentioned one simple change.

He basically said that in overtime the teams should switch ends so that their benches are further away. He said more goals are scored in the second period due to the longer distance for line changes.

I think it's a great idea, in fact, I think they should play the first, third and overtime periods this way.

3. Make it easier to stay onside so that players enter the offensive zone with speed. Change the rule slightly so that instead of the puck having to completely cross the leading edge of the blueline the puck only has to make contact with the leading edge of the blueline. This will make a small, but noticeable difference.

4. Allow hand passes all over the ice instead of only in the defensive zone. They've made it more difficult for the defense this yr by emphasizing that players cannot close their hand on the puck. Allow players to do the same on offense as on defense. Much better than a faceoff everytime this happens. (Interestingly, this year the NHL has made it a penalty to use a hand pass to win a faceoff.)

5. Break the trap. The trap works by compacting the defence. All five defenders retreat to the red line (or thereabouts) and force the puck carrier to stickhandle into a double team or shoot the puck in. Here's my, admittedly radical, solution.

When there is no defensive player in the offensive team's end of the rink (marked by the blueline),.the offensive team will be allowed to shoot the puck into the offensive end without being called for offside or icing

For example, if Edler skates the puck out from behind his goal and there are no Predators in his end of the ice (marked by his blueline), then he would be allowed to shoot the puck into the Pred's end and Kesler could be waiting at Pekka Rinne's goal before the puck even crosses their blueline.

Go ahead and criticize these suggested changes, but please don't discuss whether the NHL needs more goals or not. Create your own thread about that topic if you'd like.

OrrFour, on 14 June 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Goalie equipment size increase has made a difference no matter what their stats might say.

anyone who has played hockey would rather play against a goalie with 1960s pads and equipment vs today's.

The article didn't say it had no impact, only that it was minimal in comparison to other factors, including changes to the way the game itself is played which you don't seem to be taking into consideration. It seems rather obvious that the higher emphasis on defense effected overall scoring far more than goalie pad size and I don't think anyone's (I assume non-NHL) personal experience alone can discount what their stats show.

As I said in an earlier post, calling more penalties is a way to ruin the game, not increase it's entertainment value.

Also, the reason the NHL product isn't what it used to be (The product was at it's best in the 80's) is because of micro-managing defensive systems. There is NO other reason. Goalies didn't just become 50% better overnight.

You can trace the decline in NHL entertainment value right back to the Devils fist cup win in 95. I Believe that single event is one of the worst things to ever happen to the game. The NHL has yet to recover from it.

The ONLY way to fix the problem is to institute an illegal defense rule that bans oppressive coaching systems all together.

Take away the center line. Make icing be when the puck is shot down the ice from inside the defensive blue line. Here's the key to more offense. You still get called for icing when killing a penalty. I'd also make the icing line be at the defensive zone face off hashmarks to stop Cherry's rants about no touch icing. It would still be touch icing. Wouldn't this prevent the danger of crashing into the end boards? Why does the icing line have to be the goal line?

I'd also use the "no change of defensive players" rule if a goalie freezes the puck from a shot from outside the blueline or if a goalie jumps on a loose puck. Why is it OK for a goalie to freeze the puck on a scramble but its delay of the game if you shoot it over the glass? Let's change the over the glass rule and just deny the offending team from changing there players

If a goalie catches the puck (a lost art) from inside the blueline you can change your players

I think you should read all my posts in this thread.

All I'll say to your convoluted point is that goalie equipment size needs to be addressed.

The lack of offense needs to be attacked from many different angles.

Some changes will make more difference than others.

As I said in an earlier post, calling more penalties is a way to ruin the game, not increase it's entertainment value.

Also, the reason the NHL product isn't what it used to be (The product was at it's best in the 80's) is because of micro-managing defensive systems. There is NO other reason. Goalies didn't just become 50% better overnight.

You can trace the decline in NHL entertainment value right back to the Devils fist cup win in 95. I Believe that single event is one of the worst things to ever happen to the game. The NHL has yet to recover from it.

The ONLY way to fix the problem is to institute an illegal defense rule that bans oppressive coaching systems all together.

The major problem is this:

Coaches will pack the front of the net and play even more conservatively.

The defensive players won't take chances.

Imagine a game where a team gets a lead then packs the front of their net whenever the opposition gains their zone.

The offensive team waits patiently with the puck as if on a powerplay passing the puck around as they look for an opening, passing d to d, then to the side board. He can't find anyone open in front of the net and the goalie has the net covered. He passes back to the totally uncovered point men. The point men have lots of extra room to roam.

they pass back and forth, back and forth. the defensive team continues to collapse in front of their net and punishes the poor guy trying to screen the goalie.

They finally shoot and the offensive team retrieves the puck. More of the same ensues.

Boring huh?

The nhl will need to add another rule similar to the defensive three second rule in the nba to make it work.

Would rather watch control than dump and regroup. Passing and creativity are skills i enjoy vs dumping back and forth. Defenders that are tired give up more chances and frankly defenders can't pull back more than they already do.

Do me a favor and watch a game and see how many times a play would've been kept alive instead of dumped deep only to be passed back and forth by a defending team at their own red line instead of the offensive zone.

This rule change would have very little effect on off the rush play. The cycle game on the other hand would benefit with more room which is exactly what everyone who campaigns for Olympic or larger ice wants. Best part is we loose none of the physicality.

Hate to beat a dead horse.....but.

Floating blueline:

1. Easier to gain line with possession = better flow and less stoppages.

2. Less offsides...which means less times 5 players between you and the goal.

3. Larger attack zone = more scoring chances.

4. Makes ice bigger without costing anything.

5. Gives defenseman more room to give and go or control a puck that hopped over the line because of crap ice.

6. Less tagging up where a defenseman is forced to dump = more possession.

7. Easier for a team to wear down defense as more room to cycle.

8. Power plays are better = less obstruction and stupidity.

9. Greater emphasis on mobile defense = less clunkers that slam pucks off glass.

Opinions???

Archived