The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Brandon Dubinski being shopped

According to CapGeek, currently we could add 3.7 million at the deadline, and as far as I know Manny's 2.5 is still counting against us. I'm assuming we can get rid of that if we need to, so that would allow us to add Dubinsky at the deadline.

I think if dub is going to cost something like Schroeder we should pass. If he was on a 3mill contract I'd be more inclined but I would rather give lapierre the job and pick up another 4th line centre than have a 4.2mill 3rd line centre for the next few years.

Think about it.. Ppl would be calling for dubs head all the time and saying why are we paying 4.2 for our 3c when our top six can't score

It is true. A healthy Dubinsky would be great to add. But that would solidify Schroeder as trade bait. Inevitable?

Part of the problem with this team is that we're getting a few too many bloated contracts, and that's why Cbj wants to ditch him. (That and there's no way Dubs ever wanted to play there.)

Cbj, meanwhile, is winning lately.

Hard to imagine this happening. Let alone even thinking about it. They are shopping him with intentions of dumping salary. So no, unlikely to see a "hockey" trade for Dubinsky if we wanted him. If we want him, we will need to trade for him, then trade away either Ballard or Booth to make up room. So really, I don't see this happening, 4.2 million for a 3rd line center is quite pricey. If you look at our salary structure, He will be listed as a 4.2 million dollar player on the 3rd line, unless they put him on the wing, But really, hard to see this happening anytime soon.

Dubinsky would be shooting ourselves in the foot IMO.

I wouldn't count lapierre out as a 3rd centre in the playoffs. He's a playoff performer and played a big role eliminating the penguins and capitals with Montreal. Not that there aren't better options out there but screwing our cap structure with Dubinsky isn't really worth it.

Well if we aren't going to make a push for a cup this year then I agree with your statement, but if we are going to make that push Lappy isn't gonna do it for us, unfortunately the whole league including the refs are onto his antics,and I think that would hurt us more than help us in the playoffs.

If we are gonna make a run and contend in the playoffs with teams like LA, Ana, St.Louis, Boston, we need to get tougher to play against, and Dubinsky is a step in the right direction, as he could step into the middle on the second line as well, if need be. Raymond isn't the answer as second line center, although I applaud what he has done there, I don't think I have seen him win a faceoff.

The more I think about it, the more I think Gillis should make a strong offer to acquire Dubinsky. From a hockey perspective, Dubinsky fits our needs very well: a big, left-handed centre who can thrive in a checking role and also has enough talent to play in the top-6, either in place of Kesler or alongside him. There likely isn't another player available who better fulfills the team's needs.

The downside, of course, is his contract. But I believe the hockey fit should always be prioritized ahead of the cap fit. Dubinsky can be fit in for this season thanks to available cap space, and Gillis will have flexibility in the summer to trim payroll. The one-time amnesty buy-outs could be exercised, if necessary.

Given our need for a player like Dubinsky, he will be put in a position to succeed. If he plays to his potential, he will provide good value for his contract. He can be a 20-goal, 50-point player on top of everything else he brings.

The more I think about it, the more I think Gillis should make a strong offer to acquire Dubinsky. From a hockey perspective, Dubinsky fits our needs very well: a big, left-handed centre who can thrive in a checking role and also has enough talent to play in the top-6, either in place of Kesler or alongside him. There likely isn't another player available who better fulfills the team's needs.

The downside, of course, is his contract. But I believe the hockey fit should always be prioritized ahead of the cap fit. Dubinsky can be fit in for this season thanks to available cap space, and Gillis will have flexibility in the summer to trim payroll. The one-time amnesty buy-outs could be exercised, if necessary.

Given our need for a player like Dubinsky, he will be put in a position to succeed. If he plays to his potential, he will provide good value for his contract. He can be a 20-goal, 50-point player on top of everything else he brings.

Archived