The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on the Canucks' Recent Play

RyanKeslord17

So frustrating to watch, and yes, I'm very worried right now. Haven't been this worried since we didn't make the playoffs. Not only are we seeing our team lose, they are playing with ZERO hunger and drive. It's sad to watch.

1. The goalie situation needs to be solved. How do you solve it? Simple, you trade one. I can't imagine how hard it is on the goalies, especially Schneider. I say this because the bottom line is, Schneider hasn't proved he is a full time starter. He hasn't played the full time as a starter. Can he do it? Absolutely, but he is trying to do too much right now. He is probably trying to play a 100% perfect game every night because he does't want to give the net up, and it's getting to him. Trade a goalie, and the one that stays will lead the way.

2. The coaching staff. I know this has been said countless times, but enough is enough, seriously. Lets start with the PP coach. 0 for 24? Absolutely disgusting. With the kind of talent we have, this should never happen. No changes were made to the PP this whole time. Now on to AV. Not that he's terrible, but he and the players are simply not on the same page. I mean, AV is a good coach, and he's brought a lot to Vancouver in past years, but what is in the past, stays in the past. We need a new voice, one that can motivate this team and pump them up. Maybe even introduce a new style of play? Who knows, but AV isn't doing the job anymore.

3. Players need to start earning their icetime and not receiving it based on past performances or their level of talent. I am pointing mainly at Edler, and a few others. We can't have guys who are working hard: Ballard, Tanev, Higgins, Hansen play less minutes just because they don't have as much talent as the others. Ridiculous, reward the better and hard working players. Sit the players who aren't playing up to their expectations, it's beyond me how Edler still gets PP time.

4. Our secondary scoring needs to be addressed. I know, without Kesler we can't really make a clear judgement, but its still pretty obvious even with him in the lineup, we don't have what it takes to beat teams in the elite category.

That's just my two bits. I hate to see this team play like the way they are. They are one of the best teams this franchise has had, and to be sitting on the edge of a playoff spot is simply unacceptable.

3. Players need to start earning their icetime and not receiving it based on past performances or their level of talent. I am pointing mainly at Edler, and a few others. We can't have guys who are working hard: Ballard, Tanev, Higgins, Hansen play less minutes just because they don't have as much talent as the others. Ridiculous, reward the better and hard working players. Sit the players who aren't playing up to their expectations, it's beyond me how Edler still gets PP time.

-- Who will be left to play the games! :rolleyes: The entire team has been guilty of taking "time off" on the ice. Sometimes it seems like they are sleep skating. It's like they would rather be at home getting a stew on man.

4. Our secondary scoring needs to be addressed. I know, without Kesler we can't really make a clear judgement, but its still pretty obvious even with him in the lineup, we don't have what it takes to beat teams in the elite category.

-- I thought that this has been a good thing for us recently. Hansen, Raymond, Higgans, you add you some Kesler back in there and you got yourself a stew going man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lFZAyZPjV0

AV needs to go. So does Gillis.

We need to shake up this team, we need to trade Kesler (that might be unpopular, but whatever), buyout Booth and Ballard, and trade Schneider.

The trade dealine could be the defining moment for Gillis' career. The way we're playing, I can't see us doing anything at all in the playoffs (if we even make it). We need a shakeup of this team, Gillis needs to make a move or I guarantee, him and AV will be sacked in the summer.

How is it that when we are losing and Luongo is in net it is always his fault. Well folks can't blame the last 3 on him so what's up? And still after 3 straight losses and lets be honest Corey has been less than average...Do we still hear "he is giving our team the best chance to win??" Why is the goalie with the best stats so far still sitting on the bench? WTF! Yes the Detroit was a bad game...Corey was given a scratch on his first game...Give Lu the same. I am sorry I like Corey but the canucks had jumped the gun way too soon to say the "torch has been passed"....The torch has NOT been passed. Put Lu back in net, cut the BS. Corey's agent will get over it. I have tons of faith and lets get on with this season already!!

It doesn't matter who's in net if the defensive coverage always misses their man. Lately it's been Edler and Garrison getting beat and then their partner has to cover them. Both of them are missing their checks often and its very sad to see especially since they are getting paid as top defencemen on the team. One of them should sit out and just watch a game, it will do them some good.

score some ???? goals, used to destroy teams with like 4-5 goals now we get like 1-2 average

Henrik needs to learn to win some faceoffs, with us losing manny and kes this leaves our only 50%+ faceoff man being lapierre.

in the top 20 faceoffs taken the only under 50% players are stepan, tavares, plekanac, hodgson and henrik and i'd probably let the 3 young guys off the hook for faceoffs.

all the other elite centermen are almost 55% and the only other elite veteran center with under 50% is getzlaf.

with Henriks work ethic im pretty sure he can improve on his faceoffs but maybe he doesn't feel its that important because when he loses them they're mostly in the offensive zone and you don't get punished for that as much as losing a dzone faceoff.

Archived