The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Still Confident.

Brad Marschnoz

It's getting painful watching them lose these games. Especially with the chances they fail to bury.

I am still confident they will turn it around though. I still watch the games, although this year I've watched the games less than I usually do. That is probably somewhat due to the lockout.

Something on this team needs to change.

I am concerned for a few reasons.

We have $9.3mil tied up in goaltending when the team can't put the puck in the net. Obviously the Luongo contract is a big deterrent for other teams & it seems (judging by Schneiders agent's comments a couple weeks back) that MG & the organisation made some promises to Schneids.

Booth is on decent coin yet isn't getting it done. Can't see anyone wanting to trade for him & that contract.

Edler has been brutal on the back end. Seems reliant on his partner as he's looked all at sea since the departures of Ehrhoff & Salo. Yet we sign him for term at $5mil? Wow.

AV says the same things over & over and maintains that things will turn, bad bounces etc. The very definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over but expecting different results. The PP for example, Edler has been impotent on the first unit yet is a walk up start every time (and don't start me on Edler in the SO!). Why did we get Garrison if we're not going to use his shot on the PP?

I see fractures in this team coming out in public. Firstly there was Schneids' agent saying he needed to check with the organisation where things stand in regards to Schneider (and since then he's got most of the starts, probably rightly so) but the fact it was aired publicly is telling IMO. Manny comes out & says he feels he's right to play & he doesn't agree with MG's decision to shut him down. We lose Volpatti on waivers when it was clear to everyone (except MG it seems) that he'd be claimed. These things don't seem like much but I just don't see that happening a year or two back. Those things would've happened in house (if they even happened at all).

Where are these bold moves MG promised when he took over? Trading for Ballard, Booth & Kassian (at this stage) have been bombs, although Ballard has been decent this season. Signing the likes of Sturm are true head scratchers. This team is still largely Burke & Nonis'. Where is the MG stamp?

This team needs a shake up badly. The goaltender situation needs addressing and soon. We need some more parts to get this team going & the farm is next to bare. If MG isn't going to make some bold trades, he needs to make a bold coaching change ala LA last season. A stuttering PP, frail PK & defence and a distinct lack of scoring aren't ingredients to a successful team. Ultimately MG & AV are responsible for this & if this status quo remains, heads will roll.

It is frustrating that the Canucks continue to play a lazy game, BUT look at it from this point of view.

The last two seasons we dominated and took home the PT, then fell in the playoffs. At that point it was too late to realize where they were going wrong. The fact that we're playing poorly during this season is completely fine with me. We have a bit of time to figure out where we're going wrong and my gut tells me they're going to realize this very shortly and be an asbolute powerhouse in the playoffs. Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

I agree. I think the Canucks have all the pieces to turn this season around, all the answers are within.

Not to make excuses, but the injuries (ie Kesler and Bieksa) have had a huge impact on the Canucks. If they were healthy then the team would have a much better record. I believe the Canucks will get better and some changes will be made.

Gillis needs to turn one of the goalies (directly or indirectly) into more depth at forward. Sure, there's nothing wrong with having two great goalies on your team. But when there's a need for depth up front that's a luxury you can't afford. Unfortunately, as more time passes the more difficult it becomes to trade one of them and the less you'll get in return.

"The fact that we're playing poorly during this season is completely fine with me."

- you have an unusual grasp of logic if you think playing poorly during the regular season will necessarily translate to playoff success. (Assuming the team even makes the playoffs; which it won't if it continues to play this badly.)

- If your 'logic' is correct I guess this means Florida is going to be in the finals.

Seems almost every post game interview has something like the following statement:

"yeah...we didn't get the start we needed..."

or

"yeah....we didn't finish well..."

I'm getting sick and tired of that.

I mean, it's been going on almost every game this entire season - why don't you do something to fix it?

In other words - put some extra effort into the first few shifts.

Maybe we should start the 3rd or 4th line - seeing how we have given up so many goals in the first minute anyways...

I agree. I think the Canucks have all the pieces to turn this season around, all the answers are within.

Not to make excuses, but the injuries (ie Kesler and Bieksa) have had a huge impact on the Canucks. If they were healthy then the team would have a much better record. I believe the Canucks will get better and some changes will be made.

Gillis needs to turn one of the goalies (directly or indirectly) into more depth at forward. Sure, there's nothing wrong with having two great goalies on your team. But when there's a need for depth up front that's a luxury you can't afford. Unfortunately, as more time passes the more difficult it becomes to trade one of them and the less you'll get in return.

I am concerned for a few reasons.

We have $9.3mil tied up in goaltending when the team can't put the puck in the net. Obviously the Luongo contract is a big deterrent for other teams & it seems (judging by Schneiders agent's comments a couple weeks back) that MG & the organisation made some promises to Schneids.

Booth is on decent coin yet isn't getting it done. Can't see anyone wanting to trade for him & that contract.

Edler has been brutal on the back end. Seems reliant on his partner as he's looked all at sea since the departures of Ehrhoff & Salo. Yet we sign him for term at $5mil? Wow.

AV says the same things over & over and maintains that things will turn, bad bounces etc. The very definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over but expecting different results. The PP for example, Edler has been impotent on the first unit yet is a walk up start every time (and don't start me on Edler in the SO!). Why did we get Garrison if we're not going to use his shot on the PP?

I see fractures in this team coming out in public. Firstly there was Schneids' agent saying he needed to check with the organisation where things stand in regards to Schneider (and since then he's got most of the starts, probably rightly so) but the fact it was aired publicly is telling IMO. Manny comes out & says he feels he's right to play & he doesn't agree with MG's decision to shut him down. We lose Volpatti on waivers when it was clear to everyone (except MG it seems) that he'd be claimed. These things don't seem like much but I just don't see that happening a year or two back. Those things would've happened in house (if they even happened at all).

Where are these bold moves MG promised when he took over? Trading for Ballard, Booth & Kassian (at this stage) have been bombs, although Ballard has been decent this season. Signing the likes of Sturm are true head scratchers. This team is still largely Burke & Nonis'. Where is the MG stamp?

This team needs a shake up badly. The goaltender situation needs addressing and soon. We need some more parts to get this team going & the farm is next to bare. If MG isn't going to make some bold trades, he needs to make a bold coaching change ala LA last season. A stuttering PP, frail PK & defence and a distinct lack of scoring aren't ingredients to a successful team. Ultimately MG & AV are responsible for this & if this status quo remains, heads will roll.

It is frustrating that the Canucks continue to play a lazy game, BUT look at it from this point of view.

The last two seasons we dominated and took home the PT, then fell in the playoffs. At that point it was too late to realize where they were going wrong. The fact that we're playing poorly during this season is completely fine with me. We have a bit of time to figure out where we're going wrong and my gut tells me they're going to realize this very shortly and be an asbolute powerhouse in the playoffs. Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

I am not worried at all.

The Canucks will win the division and come playoff time will have just as good of a chance to win it all as anyone as long as MG makes at least one or two good moves.

A healthy team with Bieksa, Kesler and Pinizzotto along with good trade or two by MG bringing in a good forward for Luongo + will have this team set up for a long cup run imo.

If i was MG i would also package Edler off with a player and or prospect for a solid tougher more reliable dman because clearly Edler will be in over his head again and a major weakness come playoff time.

A team squeaking into the playoffs is not the NHL model of success. LA was an anomaly and to follow that template is to invite disaster. The Nucks are not resting and just going to flip on a switch later, they are flat out sucking.

Die hards stay positive, bandwagoners kindly f off to Chicago.

I am not worried at all.

The Canucks will win the division and come playoff time will have just as good of a chance to win it all as anyone as long as MG makes at least one or two good moves.

A healthy team with Bieksa, Kesler and Pinizzotto along with good trade or two by MG bringing in a good forward for Luongo + will have this team set up for a long cup run imo.

If i was MG i would also package Edler off with a player and or prospect for a solid tougher more reliable dman because clearly Edler will be in over his head again and a major weakness come playoff time.

I agree that it's better to peak and win big in the playoffs than in the regular season but the more games the boys lose the harder it will be to get back into a winning frame of mind. Now is the time to get it together for a good run.

Archived