108 replies to this topic

#61 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I'm still confident as long as we fire AV and MG acquires at least ONE impact player at the deadline

#62 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Posted ImageThe Big Luongo, on 10 March 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

If i was MG i would also package Edler off with a player and or prospect for a solid tougher more reliable dman because clearly Edler will be in over his head again and a major weakness come playoff time.

Who's going to want Edler, though?

Good point, but will flip it back to you - if not now, then when? Do you think Edler will showcase a comeback in the near future? Possible, but I think not. He has a $5M cap hit until 2019, for cryin' out loud. Dump him now, while you can still fool people based on his offensive stats over the last few years.

Edit: $5M cap hit kicks in next season.

Edited by Socrates, 11 March 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#63 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

luongo is set to take over now, corey had some chances to shine, i think louie takes the starter now

#64 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

luongo is set to take over now, corey had some chances to shine, i think louie takes the starter now

TBH I feel like the Canucks don't deserve to get Luongo back after last year and the way he was treated by this market.. fans across the board were happily willing to hand over the top spot to Schneider and kick Luongo to the curb. "trade this bum" was the sentiment.

Now that Schneider has been identified as "human" by the woefully ignorant fans of this city, Luongo is looking really good to everyone again. Pathetic.

If I were Luongo I wouldn't want to play for the Canucks at all anymore. He's done nothing but be professional all throughout the time where everyone in this city wanted to burn him at the stake and now everyone wants him to step back in as the head guy.. typical.

#65 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

TBH I feel like the Canucks don't deserve to get Luongo back after last year and the way he was treated by this market.. fans across the board were happily willing to hand over the top spot to Schneider and kick Luongo to the curb. "trade this bum" was the sentiment.

Now that Schneider has been identified as "human" by the woefully ignorant fans of this city, Luongo is looking really good to everyone again. Pathetic.

If I were Luongo I wouldn't want to play for the Canucks at all anymore. He's done nothing but be professional all throughout the time where everyone in this city wanted to burn him at the stake and now everyone wants him to step back in as the head guy.. typical.

I feel you man.

I doubt Luongo gives a flying fuNck about what members of this board think of him. Which it entirely a good thing!
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#66 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I feel you man.

I doubt Luongo gives a flying fuNck about what members of this board think of him. Which it entirely a good thing!

Fortunately he is a true professional.. for sure a great thing. For all that people complain about him croaking at inopportune times he has consistently worked to improve his game and is a franchise goaltender any way you slice it. It was only a matter of time before Schneider was going to go through a tough spell but magically people seemed to think he was infallible and was a lock for the #1 spot even though he never played as the head guy for a whole season.

Seriously some of the moves this club has made over the last two years really makes me wonder wtf people have been thinking. I can't say I'd do better since I'm no NHL professional, but some of the moves to me as a fan have been real head scratchers.. I'm not surprised in the least to see this team gasping right now.

#67 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm not sure we can turn it round. Our style other than the Sedins possession game is utterly stale. We are paying for years of PP great net minding and goals scored by defenders.

Since the Finals we have only had a dependable 1st line. That is the truth. We (and especially MG) over values over half of this team.

None of the bottom nine are exceptional apart from Kesler and maybe Raymond and Hansen when they are on their games. Our offence when not coming from the twins and Kes has really been our formidable offence of our defence. Well with the loss of Ehrhoff and Sami that has almost disappeared.

I lay ALL the blame for this at GMMG's door. He has waited and dithered and procrastinated and dallied and now when we are at our lowest, if he tries to do deals from this position of weakness and disarray he will get scalped.
Kevin.jpg

#68 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

You need to show good signs during the regular season that you will have playoff success.

The Kings sucked all regular season, but they were playing GREAT defence and winning lots of tight 1 goal games - playoff hockey essentially.
In Boston's run they were pretty good all season, and showed that they could win all sorts of games, whether it be high-scoring affairs or tight-checking 1 goal games.

This season, the Canucks have proven that they know how to lose those close, 1 goal games and blow leads. At this rate, they have a LOT of work to do. Meanwhile Chicago has proven this year that they can blow a tight game open, comeback from big deficits and win clutch games at key moments.

That being said, there's a lot of time for a team to change it's identity.
Posted Image

#69 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

We are probably trying to get in the same situation the Kings did last season, sneek in and rape everyone.

canucks141.png

#70 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

you have to make the playoffs for that to happen though.
Canucks are 1 point out of 9th, and 2 points out of 11th!

People should be concerend.

Yes with 24 games left in the season.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#71 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

The idea that we need a rebuild or a major shake-up is ridiculous. All we need is a healthy Kesler and a good third line center. The center plays a large role in team defence. Let's face it Henrik isn't naturally defensive. We have only one defensive centerman. Our d-men seem to tense up whenever Henrik, Raymond, or Schroeder are on the ice. If our d-men were more confident, they would play more relaxed. If the team weren't so fixated on defensive posture, they would probably create more offense.

Eventually Schneider and/or Luongo will make those clutch saves when we need them to. Early and late goals have cost us lately.

I am still confident.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#72 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

its tough and frustrating to watch, no doubt about that but I'm not worried. I think this team is going to come around and however bad this streak has been i think they will manage to pull off a winning streak just as good
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#73 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

i love how one average game from schneids out of his last 4 its now time for luongo ...schneids played great vs LA next game vs calgary luongo came in had that 1 terrible goal against but didnt play bad just average and we lost, even thou we out played calgary almost all game... schneids came in after that and played more then well enough to win vs the sharks and bluejackets and came away with shootout and OT losses with a GAA around 1.80 in the combined games.. and last night after a 2 day break playing a team on a second game of a back to back schneids was no where near our worst player .. and it was a crap game from start to fnish by everyone.. but i guess it was schneids fault .. time to throw luongo in net vs the stat padder teams in columbus and nashville so people can praise him again... everyone keeps saying schneids cant handle a full season....no one on our team can handle a full season by the looks of it. every other night half of our players are sleep walking through the game ... how many times do we need to juggle our goalies back and forth and say we havent gotten consistent goaltending all year until people realize its not our goalies.... its the team infront of them.

#74 The Sieve

The Sieve

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

What has happened to the blog posts lately? Some appear and then disappear. Most are stale information. Is the club and mod culling out anything with an opinion?

#75 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

If you think their gonna pull an L.A. of last year, i think your stretching?

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#76 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

It's a good team but they are having trouble putting it all together, especially without three of the most key guys in Bieksa, Kesler, and Malhotra who are really the heart and soul of the team and the most important except maybe the goalies and the top line. The talent is there although the depth isn't what it's been in the past especially on D and at center.

I'm not too worried about what they do now, in these mid-season games, just need to make the playoffs with some gas in the tank and with all the key guys healthy. Obviously Manny is not coming back but hopefully we can go into the playoffs with all the other guys I mentioned good to go and not banged up or out like last season.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#77 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

2010-11 season after 24 games:
14-7-3 = 31 pts (2nd in West Cont)
82 goals scored
59 goals against
+23 goal differential

2011-12 season after 24 games:
14-9-1 = 29 pts (6th in West Conf)
81 goals scored
59 goals against
+22 differential

2012-13 season after 24 games:
11-7-6 = 28 pts (6th in West Conf)
66 goals scored
67 goals against
-1 differential

The biggest difference I see is the Canucks aren't scoring goals anymore. From 80+ goals scored over the last 2 years, down to 67 this yr. That's a large drop. It's not like they lost huge goal scorers this past summer, it's the guys on their current roster who aren't producing. No trade is gonna save this team, they have to save themselves by stepping up - they have the personal.

#78 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

<p>

<br />
<strong>2010-11</strong> season after 24 games:<br />
14-7-3 = 31 pts (2nd in West Cont)<br />
82 goals scored<br />
59 goals against<br />
+23 goal differential<br />
<br />
<strong>2011-12</strong> season after 24 games:<br />
14-9-1 = 29 pts (6th in West Conf)<br />
81 goals scored<br />
59 goals against<br />
+22 differential<br />
<br />
<strong>2012-13</strong> season after 24 games:<br />
11-7-6 = 28 pts (6th in West Conf)<br />
66 goals scored<br />
67 goals against<br />
-1 differential<br />
<br />
The biggest difference I see is the Canucks aren&#39;t scoring goals anymore.  From 80+ goals scored over the last 2 years, down to 67 this yr. That&#39;s a large drop. It&#39;s not like they lost huge goal scorers this past summer, it&#39;s the guys on their current roster who aren&#39;t producing. No trade is gonna save this team, they have to save themselves by stepping up - they have the personal.<br />

twins had a slow start, and kes is pretty gone all season so far. That plus bxa out,and salo/erhoff gone, makes up that difference.

the low scoring is not a surprise, and is obvious this yr. I've said many times that they can only win with a tight D, until kes is back and they are scoring again that is the only way to win. Unfortunately, both Lui and Cory went cold last several weeks, and can't pick up the slack.
Posted Image

#79 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

<p>

twins had a slow start, and kes is pretty gone all season so far. That plus bxa out,and salo/erhoff gone, makes up that difference.

the low scoring is not a surprise, and is obvious this yr. I've said many times that they can only win with a tight D, until kes is back and they are scoring again that is the only way to win. Unfortunately, both Lui and Cory went cold last several weeks, and can't pick up the slack.

Loss of Ehrhoff didn't affect their goal pace from 2010-11 to 11-12 through 24 games (were on same pace). Salo/Garrisons goal pace negated eachother. Kass/Hodgson negated eachother. Daniel, Hank, Higgins, Hansen are on same pace from last yr through 24 games. So it's not them.. Kes only had 5 goals through the first 24 games last yr - but the addition of Raymond this yr made up for it early on. It's really Burrows, Booth, and depth guys that haven't been producing as norm - those guys need to step it up or AV needs to find them a new line.

Yeah, and goaltending hasn't been as good. That's def a problem lately. They've tightened up their d, they're allowing fewer scoring chances each game lately - but their goaltender aren't making the save.

I'm basically saying they have the players to be better, on par with team of previous years. They're just not getting it done right now. Not surprising considering the are ALWAYS slow starters, I proved that with the numbers.

Edited by RunningWild, 11 March 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#80 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Gillis = Fail Make a list on a piece of paper. On one side write Good on the other side write Bad. Write down all of Gillis's moves in their place. Conclusion... You've wasted a "good" half a piece of paper!

#81 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

thread title should be:
Still in Denial

#82 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

I opened this thinking I would see some positivity for a change and I find page after page of sorrow and wallowing.

We will rise and we will fall. We are a good team with good players, we will rise again.
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#83 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

what ever you do don't blame the goalies... this team is just showing how good the goalies where when they where able to keep them in.. but really the rest of the team just hasn't been good and the goalies suffered from it... we will get it turned around.
Posted Image

#84 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

what ever you do don't blame the goalies... this team is just showing how good the goalies where when they where able to keep them in.. but really the rest of the team just hasn't been good and the goalies suffered from it... we will get it turned around.

double poste sorry.. didn't know if i hit reply....

Edited by Canuck hero, 11 March 2013 - 07:24 PM.

Posted Image

#85 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

A team squeaking into the playoffs is not the NHL model of success. LA was an anomaly and to follow that template is to invite disaster. The Nucks are not resting and just going to flip on a switch later, they are flat out sucking.

Last part of your post was garbage, hostile and unnecessary.

I didn't want the Canucks to run away with the division hoping they would develope a shutdown game. This club has never been able to shut a game down other than to add more goals and simply outscore their opposition. 2011 was the closest they have ever gotten. What coaching approaches playoffs without that ability?

#86 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm not sure we can turn it round. Our style other than the Sedins possession game is utterly stale. We are paying for years of PP great net minding and goals scored by defenders.

Since the Finals we have only had a dependable 1st line. That is the truth. We (and especially MG) over values over half of this team.

None of the bottom nine are exceptional apart from Kesler and maybe Raymond and Hansen when they are on their games. Our offence when not coming from the twins and Kes has really been our formidable offence of our defence. Well with the loss of Ehrhoff and Sami that has almost disappeared.

I lay ALL the blame for this at GMMG's door. He has waited and dithered and procrastinated and dallied and now when we are at our lowest, if he tries to do deals from this position of weakness and disarray he will get scalped.

I don't disagree with much of your assessment. I question whether a CUP contending team based on our current #1 line is the basis for a win. The Wings are always thrown up as the 'puck possession' game that Van wants to emulate with the Twins as the key parts. The Wings in their prime had a full roster who ALL finished their checks and ALL played on the back check. How many goals did we see Datzuk sscore driving the net? Detroit always had a 2nd line threat. It takes a particular player like Datzyk(?) or dare I say a Linden who combines that winninf drive. The closest we have is Burrows.

Even as negative as I sound about the 1st line I think the Canucks could still win if a bonafide 2nd line existed. MG is approaching the trade deadline with absolutely nothing there. Canuck coaching seems fixated on playing to their roster strengths rather than developing a team that can function in all types of games. With 3 minutes left in a game, up 1 goal, you don't have players chipping pucks into the middle of the ice while breaking out of your own zone! I don't care which player it is. How much of Van's trouble is coming out of puck turnovers in the neutral zone.

Enough of this it is beer time.

#87 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

It's worrying though, Schneider hasn't been consistent all year and if we make the playoffs I'm not sure how our defence will hold up.

So, trade Schneider for a better center/winger, prospect, or D, and a backup in return. Let Luongo have the start.
Posted Image

#88 wheeler64

wheeler64

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

This theory only works if we MAKE the playoffs. I myself have stuck to the theory that the regular season doesn't mean anything come playoff time. But at the same time we are tied for 8th in the West, only 2 points ahead of 11th place, and have lost 6 of our last 7 games with 3 of our last 4 losses coming from some of the league's worst teams and bottom feeders in Calgary, Minnesota, and Columbus. Our goaltending has been mediocre, our defense has been horrible. Our offense has been good 5 on 5 but our power play has been atrocious. While I wouldn't say it's time to panic, we are only a few more games without a win away from that point.

The only positive out of this is the fact that we'll be getting a much higher draft pick this year and should be making a little more of a splash this year at the trade deadline.

Am I alone in saying that if we continue to play this way it's time to see a change in coaching? Lindy Ruff is available and in my opinion we should seriously be considering hiring him if things continue to go South.

we need a coach change but ruff didn't do much in buffalo! we definitely need a gm change gillis is a players agent we need a good hockey guy bring back burke.... gillis only makes deals that keeps making the team worse,

#89 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

we need a coach change but ruff didn't do much in buffalo! we definitely need a gm change gillis is a players agent we need a good hockey guy bring back burke.... gillis only makes deals that keeps making the team worse,

Ruff didn't do much because he's been in Buffalo for too long. That doesn't mean he is a bad coach. We need to shake up the status quo.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#90 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Edler is looking like a guy who can't carry his own pairing. He needs a veteran to calm him down next to him.

If he needs a veteran, why is he paid like a leader and veteran?
Isn't he getting paid for what he can or should do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.