108 replies to this topic

#91 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Ruff didn't do much because he's been in Buffalo for too long. That doesn't mean he is a bad coach. We need to shake up the status quo.

Why do we need Ruff? This is a usual slump we have experienced in previous seasons. Obviously, you're trying to stir some needless attempts to change.
Posted Image

#92 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

If I were Luongo I wouldn't want to play for the Canucks at all anymore. He's done nothing but be professional all throughout the time where everyone in this city wanted to burn him at the stake and now everyone wants him to step back in as the head guy.. typical.

Boo Hoo, now that would be unprofessional wouldn't it? He didnt mind being put on a pedestal and his ego ate it up.Thats the life of an entertainer ( good thing for most players is that these are not the gladiator days) Only now has his demeanour been applaudable. Canucks rewarded him very handsomely for his past efforts, (Maybe more so,than anyone else is willing to pay now). He is still a member of this team, and if he wins back the starting job good for him. Competition for the starting job imo has been good for him and maybe him thinking he is not big in demand, has humbled him, and possibly made Lou a lil more hungry to perform better than he might have otherwise

#93 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Do you not know what was happening to this organization 15 years ago? This is nothing compared to the ****storm we had in the late 90's.

Lighten up people.

#94 zejono

zejono

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

maybe they will barely make playoffs and pull a LA

Edited by zejono, 12 March 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#95 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

speaking of confidence our team has none at the moment

No confidence?....I would have completely disagree with you there.In fact,I think the opposite is true...they are overconfident....!..It's a more less a veteran group with the 'don't worry,we will turn it on when we have to' mantra.This is dangerous territory,and in my opinion,was the reason they were turfed in the 1st round in last years playoffs.

I don't think that it's AVs fault..but maybe some longtime core players need to be moved (Burrows,Raymond!Higgins) to really shake the chemistry and bring in some fresh new faces.Its just getting stale.

I do think that the Canucks will make the playoffs,but with weak special teams,anything past he first round would be an illusion.

#96 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

People need to chill out.
Of course, this latest run isn't encouraging.
How would losing ever be seen as encouraging?
Sky ain't falling though.

We had a good start this year. Typically we play THIS poorly to start the year.
Is this really much worse than winning the PT but playing like garbage?

1)PP has fallen off a cliff.
2) Defensively out of sync (even Hamhuis hasn't been as good as a previous years)
3) Injuries to key players (Kes and Bieksa are key players believe it or not)

Turn one of these three things around: Step in the right direction
Turn two of these things around: In good shape
Turn all three around: Rockin and rollin

Kes and Juice will return inevitably.
PP will improve, unless you really think it'll be this bad FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR...

Defense is more alarming. Goalies have been pretty good, but not stealing games.

A lot of points are valid.
The way the team is structured is not ideal. (The team is essentially the Twins+Goalies+PP)
We rely on solid defensive from forwards, and offense from the backend.

People criticize AV, but the fact is, he's gotten the most out of our team.
Our team isn't really THAT talented. (We're essentially the Coyotes, with better offence)

We should have 12 tough forwards that play good, Selke calibre hockey, and make you pay on PP/ES/SH.
Gotta be realistic though.

To those who criticize MG. You can't simply go out and get any player you want. This ain't NHL 13.
If it was so easy to simply acquire a bonafide scorer, or #1 D man, every team would be making these
trades on a weekly basis.

Those who compare the Philly/LA trades. Not really the same thing.
Schenn+Simmonds....we don't have a comparable. Don't make me laugh
Voracek+1st (top 10)......>>>>>>>Raymond/Booth/Hansen/Kassian/Jensen+anything else

Philly could afford to deal Richards, as they had Giroux to make him expendable.
LA could afford to lose Johnson, as Voynov made him expendable.

How do we get these valued assets/picks?? Start losing lmao

#97 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm not too worried, all I can do is sit back in my chair with a pilsner and a bag of cool ranch Doritoes and watch it unfold.

Crying like the rest of these babies is not an option for me.

I will watch and cheer win or lose.

Peace out

Thanks dont come back!

#98 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I am not worried at all.

The Canucks will win the division and come playoff time will have just as good of a chance to win it all as anyone as long as MG makes at least one or two good moves.

A healthy team with Bieksa, Kesler and Pinizzotto along with good trade or two by MG bringing in a good forward for Luongo + will have this team set up for a long cup run imo.

If i was MG i would also package Edler off with a player and or prospect for a solid tougher more reliable dman because clearly Edler will be in over his head again and a major weakness come playoff time.

It's the same crap all the time. 1- Pinizottto is not an impact player, you can't count on him to make a difference 2- How does anyone know if the team will be healthy for the playoffs or not, you can't count on that. 3- Luongo is a salary dump, you won't get a god forward back, maybe , maybe a 6th round pick if we find a sucker, so you can't count on that.

#99 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Better to be a sleeper in the regular season, and become hot in the playoffs.

This whole idea that we could coast in the regular season and then turn it on in the playoffs should have been disproven last year.

#100 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

This whole idea that we could coast in the regular season and then turn it on in the playoffs should have been disproven last year.

Canucks ain't coastin to a presidents trophy this year. Maybe a dogfight into the playoffs will help this team like it obviously helped the Kings last year.
Posted Image

#101 Justin6Schultz

Justin6Schultz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Still confident.

#102 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

The 1st round is always the hardest in the playoffs. Hopefully we get a good team but someone we can handily beat.

The Kings or Detroit would be perfect. Both are very respectable teams, but both are beatable, especially this season. As good as Chicago has been, every team in the top-8 have a pretty much equal chance of winning the Cup.

There are plenty of things that bode well for these Canucks. Of course after the 2011 we've learned that nothing is set in stone and history means nothing, but the Canucks have a few things in their favour, they just need some things to click into place:

1) Depth at center. Cup winning teams have plenty of depth here, and with Kesler back we have some decent centers. A 3rd line center acquisition at the deadline would go a long way.
2) Depth at forward. The Canucks probably have the deepest forwards in the NHL right now in all honesty. Henrik, Daniel, Raymond, Hansen, Higgins (barely) and Burrows are all scoring at a 20-goal pace, and that's not even including Kesler or Booth who will be back for the playoffs. 8 20-goal scorers is terrific depth. Having 20-goal scorers on your 3rd line is essentially what wins Cups, because they're the game-breakers when the top two lines are checked to death.
3) Great Powerplay: sure they've been terrible so far, but this unit has the ability to break out at any time. All it needs to do is start clicking in the playoffs and team's won't be able to stop us.
4) Physical defence: Our defence is bigger and tougher than it has ever been, with Garrison, Alberts and Barker getting plenty of time. Bieksa is also playing a lot more physically than usual. We've had a fragile, fast defence for ages that has been victimized in the playoffs by big forwards, but not any more.
5) Giants at forward: Finally the Canucks have some big forwards. Since 2011, we essentially swap Samuelsson, Hodgson and Glass for Booth, Kassian and Sestito - a huge upgrade in size and right across our lineup.
6) Great goaltending: We have a better chance than any other team of getting a red-hot goalie in the playoffs because we have two of them. They say not many teams have won a Cup with a goalie tandem in the playoffs, but I remember Detroit doing it not long ago and in this abbreviated season, anything is possible. It makes sense now more than ever with other goalies being more worn out than ever before after playing such a condensed schedule.
7) Hunger: The Canucks have to be hungry after a disappointing playoffs last year, their window closing and fighting for the NW title. We should play with a lot more urgency now than last season.
Posted Image

#103 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

So what's your point, if we suck during Regular Season maybe we'll win in the Playoffs? LOL

Let's get real here, the team has gotten complacent, tonight WAS a do or die type of game, and the Canucks once again failed to show up.

First of all, how do you fail to show up when you get paid Millions to play? Would YOU fail to show up if you were given Millions to play?

I'm a Canucks fan through and through, but lets cut through the bullsh!t and get real here. We need a change and MG has the tools to do it. Trade Schneider and some other players if need be and make a change up. A solid multi-player deal could spruce things up.

As I see it the only GOOD thing we have going is our 1st and technically 3rd lines are scoring, and that is great to see.

We still need a 2nd line and we need a 4th line that continuously hits. I saw the Canucks get out-muscled once again in this game.

I also think Newell Brown and Rick B needs to get canned. Defense and Special teams suck ass and each of those areas have a SPECIFIC coach for them.

Why would we trade the younger, better goalie?

#104 binktown

binktown

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

This theory only works if we MAKE the playoffs. I myself have stuck to the theory that the regular season doesn't mean anything come playoff time. But at the same time we are tied for 8th in the West, only 2 points ahead of 11th place, and have lost 6 of our last 7 games with 3 of our last 4 losses coming from some of the league's worst teams and bottom feeders in Calgary, Minnesota, and Columbus. Our goaltending has been mediocre, our defense has been horrible. Our offense has been good 5 on 5 but our power play has been atrocious. While I wouldn't say it's time to panic, we are only a few more games without a win away from that point.

The only positive out of this is the fact that we'll be getting a much higher draft pick this year and should be making a little more of a splash this year at the trade deadline.

Am I alone in saying that if we continue to play this way it's time to see a change in coaching? Lindy Ruff is available and in my opinion we should seriously be considering hiring him if things continue to go South.

so..a few games later...how is AV now??!!....this is why going crazy after a few games in the dumper...gets you nowhere..Lindy Ruff is NOT the answer...and dumping all your roster..equally stupid...it's what happens in a season ...long or short...panic...gets you nowhere

#105 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Of course we're confident when we have a winning streak going on!

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 27 March 2013 - 05:59 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#106 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

The idea that we need a rebuild or a major shake-up is ridiculous. All we need is a healthy Kesler and a good third line center. The center plays a large role in team defence. Let's face it Henrik isn't naturally defensive. We have only one defensive centerman. Our d-men seem to tense up whenever Henrik, Raymond, or Schroeder are on the ice. If our d-men were more confident, they would play more relaxed. If the team weren't so fixated on defensive posture, they would probably create more offense.

Eventually Schneider and/or Luongo will make those clutch saves when we need them to. Early and late goals have cost us lately.

I am still confident.

Quoted myself.

I think this is still relevant.

We will have experienced centers on all four lines when Kes returns.. People really under-estimate the importance of this.

I am still confident.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#107 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Why would we trade the younger, better goalie?

Makes more sense Schneider would more than likely net a better return and I'm not sold Schneider is or will be much better.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#108 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

If they added a couple pieces and even kept lui I would be confident but no way is Roy enough for a team that has overachieved in the wins column facing Detroit la or Minnesota in the first round

#109 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

If they added a couple pieces and even kept lui I would be confident but no way is Roy enough for a team that has overachieved in the wins column facing Detroit la or Minnesota in the first round

When you're missing 7 roster players due to injury you have to overachieve to stay in the playoff race. I don't get why people look at that as a bad thing here...

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.