The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and the last stand

37yrsncounting

I have been a Canuck fan for 37 years and for years I lived with mediorce goaltending and dreams of the Canucks playing for the stanley cup. Back in 2006/7, along comes Luongo and wow, singlehandly pushed our team into the playoffs and was a rock in the Dallas playoff series especially in one of the longest playoff game ever to involve the Canucks. Back then, Luongo was regarded as a superstar as he alone gave the Canucks a chance to win every night.

Flash forward to 2013, after the Canucks have made the playoffs every year except for one. After division titles and presidents trophies that apparently no one cares about. After Gillis played with his mind and made him captain then teared it off his jersey. After Luongo won a gold medal, the jennings trophy, and after taking us within one game of the stanley cup. The media and us fans wants to run him out of town. Remember, he didn't ask for a trade and only said he wouldn't mind being moved if it was best for the team. Yes later he said it was time to move on but at that time, he thought he had played his last game for the Canucks

Luongo did collapse against Chicago but at the end of the day, Luongo made the stop on Patrick sharp and we finally beat the black hawks. In the cup finals, our offence couldn't produce, yet we made it to the 7th game of the finals. Who do you think got us there, Luongo of course.

With all that history, Luongo now has to share playing time with Schneider and is now considered a back up. Schneider is very good but he's still an unproven starter that hasn't won many titles everywhere he's played. Schneider has been given the chance this year and clearly the last few games shows he's not ready yet. Stop with all the nonsense about playing into a rhythm, Cory has been a back up and has played very well with minimal games the last two years.

One thing i don't' understand is that Marty Brodeur still plays for the devils, Miller still plays for the Sabres, Cam Ward still plays for the hurricanes, and Fleury still plays for the penguins. These are all elite goaltenders that can and have had off years in their career. We have Luongo, why do we want to run the best goaltender we've had out of town?

One point many fans have forgotten in my opinion is that this is Luongo's team, the core guys developed through the years that Luongo has been here.

With the way the team is playing infront of Schneider and the way Cory has been playing (last year, he made every save look easy. He looked like he wasn't moving between post to post. This year he's flopping around and losing his post and angles) Its time to give Luongo the starting job and let him run with it.

Yes Luongo was ventilated in Detroit but he's had his shares of bad games. Its time the Canucks get off their 'Schnieds' and give Luongo one last stand to lead the team he's back stopped the last 7 years. The core group deserves one last chance to run with Luongo, a shot at the playoffs and the stanley cup.

The core has been giving 24 games this year and they have played like utter uninspired garbage all year long. Even when they were winning they were a disaster in their own zone and outplayed 80% of the time. It's time for an overhaul or else we turn into the flames

Marty and the like don't constantly have meltdowns in games, and let in 8 goals in the stanley cup finals, and do this multiple times in every playoff run.

This is so simple, how can you not understand? Whether or not you want Luongo gone, you must be able to understand the reason many people do. Stop acting like it makes no sense.

edit : also pretty tired of this "He took us to the SCF game 7" BS. our team was stacked as hell then. If we didn't make it really deep or win the cup, then it's a disappointment, and it was.

He did the absolute furthest thing from putting the team on his back. He just managed to keep the number of meltdowns in net to a sustainable number to get us deep in the playoffs. (until the finals at least). that isn't even remotely the same as "him getting us to the stanley cup finals". almost any goalie would have "gotten us there" as well, with the team we had then.

I agree with what you've said and have been saying it for a long long time. Luongo has really been treated very poorly by our organization and many fans. For a guy that single handedly took us out of the gutter. Now we gave up on him and we are on our way right back down. All summer long this board had him traded away for a bag of pucks and Schneider was our new Patrick Roy. Kassian was the next bertuzzi and Kesler was going to do something. I don't know what Kesler was going to do but I'm sure it could be more than what he did in the playoffs right... Oh wait he's injured. At the moment I'm not happy in the direction we are going.

I was on the "trade Luongo, Schneider's awsome" wagon last season. This season I like our odds trading Schneider and keeping Luongo more though. Last season Schneider had no pressure, but when given 3-4 games in a row this season, you can see the un-experience in him. What happens if Luongo is gone come playoff time and Schneider is the only #1 and folds like a cheap wallet with no experience in the playoffs?

Marty and the like don't constantly have meltdowns in games, and let in 8 goals in the stanley cup finals, and do this multiple times in every playoff run.

This is so simple, how can you not understand? Whether or not you want Luongo gone, you must be able to understand the reason many people do. Stop acting like it makes no sense.

edit : also pretty tired of this "He took us to the SCF game 7" BS. our team was stacked as hell then. If we didn't make it really deep or win the cup, then it's a disappointment, and it was.

He did the absolute furthest thing from putting the team on his back. He just managed to keep the number of meltdowns in net to a sustainable number to get us deep in the playoffs. (until the finals at least). that isn't even remotely the same as "him getting us to the stanley cup finals". almost any goalie would have "gotten us there" as well, with the team we had then.

I was on the "trade Luongo, Schneider's awsome" wagon last season. This season I like our odds trading Schneider and keeping Luongo more though. Last season Schneider had no pressure, but when given 3-4 games in a row this season, you can see the un-experience in him. What happens if Luongo is gone come playoff time and Schneider is the only #1 and folds like a cheap wallet with no experience in the playoffs?

our issues are not in goal.

I want Schnieder to stay because I think he is better, younger (fact), cheaper (fact) and he is stronger mentally (the difference between being very good and having the potential to be elite).

that being said, what this season is showing is, it doesn't matter which goalie is in net if we continue to play this way.

if trading schnieder means you get a guy like coutourier back and a pick well you have to consider it given our team and both short and long term holes.

however, just that deal won't be enough to fix this team, something needs to change in the back end, we also need more size up front that plays with emotion.

Effectively, this team doesn't need to be 'gutted' but its core needs to be changed. Its become stale, complacent, and lost its hunger.

So if the best deal get us more for schnieder to address those issues, along with a couple other trades you do it. but if it doesn't i dont see why you trade a higher value asset for cheap just bc you can't sell a lower value asset for much.

ie if I have a 2011 Porsche and a 2007 BMW, and my BMW is still damn good, alot of miles but hey its a BMW, reliable, good car, will go for alot more years but I want say 25k for it, and everyone is only offering me 15k because maybe it has a small dent in the door.

Well I say its just one small dent, this thing will still hum along for 7-9 years and you know you're getting a great car. But still, nope 15k.

Someone else comes to me and says well you can't sell your 2007 BMW so why don't you keep it, and sell me your 2011 Porsche for 55k, its more money and you still have a great car in the BMW. Well the Porsche is worth 100k so why would I sell it for 55k.

I am going to let someone rip me off on a high value asset because I can't sell a lower value asset for what I want for it?

No I say I'd rather lose 10k bc of the dent, than lose 45 k

thats my best analogy and think this firmly applies with Lou and Schnieds.

Goaltending isn't this team's problem. Their poor defensive play and lack of any special teams success is however, a huge problem.

You can moan and whine about how Luongo has been treated, but both guys can't stay forever. One of them will have to go, and based on contract alone, it should be Lou.

He's a great goalie, one of the best in many ways, but he's had more than enough chances in the playoffs with this team.

Again, if the Canucks can manage to get their game back on track in time to make the playoffs, I am confident Schneider will play competently in the post season. He played extremely well against the Kings in round 1 last season, and posted excellent numbers.

Our team was stacked? Then explain why we could only ever beat the buins by a single goal. Not to mention the disaster of our so called defence that's played in front of him lately.

Aside from game 6 vs Chicago in 2009, Lu is often the best player on the ice for us, even in a meltdown.

How were we stacked as hell? Isn't the current team that is struggling practically the same team minus erhoff, salo, and manny?

we won 3 games in the stanley cup final series twice with 1-0 scores and the team scored a total of 8 goals in a seven game series. Without Luongo, it wouldn't even be close, Its so clear how can you not understand?

Archived