The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and the last stand

37yrsncounting

I have been a Canuck fan for 37 years and for years I lived with mediorce goaltending and dreams of the Canucks playing for the stanley cup. Back in 2006/7, along comes Luongo and wow, singlehandly pushed our team into the playoffs and was a rock in the Dallas playoff series especially in one of the longest playoff game ever to involve the Canucks. Back then, Luongo was regarded as a superstar as he alone gave the Canucks a chance to win every night.

Flash forward to 2013, after the Canucks have made the playoffs every year except for one. After division titles and presidents trophies that apparently no one cares about. After Gillis played with his mind and made him captain then teared it off his jersey. After Luongo won a gold medal, the jennings trophy, and after taking us within one game of the stanley cup. The media and us fans wants to run him out of town. Remember, he didn't ask for a trade and only said he wouldn't mind being moved if it was best for the team. Yes later he said it was time to move on but at that time, he thought he had played his last game for the Canucks

Luongo did collapse against Chicago but at the end of the day, Luongo made the stop on Patrick sharp and we finally beat the black hawks. In the cup finals, our offence couldn't produce, yet we made it to the 7th game of the finals. Who do you think got us there, Luongo of course.

With all that history, Luongo now has to share playing time with Schneider and is now considered a back up. Schneider is very good but he's still an unproven starter that hasn't won many titles everywhere he's played. Schneider has been given the chance this year and clearly the last few games shows he's not ready yet. Stop with all the nonsense about playing into a rhythm, Cory has been a back up and has played very well with minimal games the last two years.

One thing i don't' understand is that Marty Brodeur still plays for the devils, Miller still plays for the Sabres, Cam Ward still plays for the hurricanes, and Fleury still plays for the penguins. These are all elite goaltenders that can and have had off years in their career. We have Luongo, why do we want to run the best goaltender we've had out of town?

One point many fans have forgotten in my opinion is that this is Luongo's team, the core guys developed through the years that Luongo has been here.

With the way the team is playing infront of Schneider and the way Cory has been playing (last year, he made every save look easy. He looked like he wasn't moving between post to post. This year he's flopping around and losing his post and angles) Its time to give Luongo the starting job and let him run with it.

Yes Luongo was ventilated in Detroit but he's had his shares of bad games. Its time the Canucks get off their 'Schnieds' and give Luongo one last stand to lead the team he's back stopped the last 7 years. The core group deserves one last chance to run with Luongo, a shot at the playoffs and the stanley cup.

Goals Against Average (GAA) – 8.05

Goals Against Average in Vancouver – 0.67

Wins at Home 3-0

Wins in Boston 0-3

Save Percentage in Vancouver .979

Save Percentage in Boston .773

Goals Allowed in Vancouver 2

Goals Allowed in Boston 15

Pre game 7 stats. He SUCKED in BOS but the game was at home. I would have started Schneids after game 3 in BOS but Lu was solid at home. You didn't watch the same game as me if you think the fowards/ D were sh!tting their pants for game 7- they were terrified of losing.

Hahahahahah how exactly does that mean he would win MVP? Let in 8 goals in a game, multiple meltdowns all through the playoffs, MVP of the playoffs bro1!!!11!

8.0 GAA, .773 SV %, that is terrible. Are you saying it's fine, since he played well in Vancouver? Jesus christ, bro

Our team was stacked? Then explain why we could only ever beat the buins by a single goal. Not to mention the disaster of our so called defence that's played in front of him lately.

Aside from game 6 vs Chicago in 2009, Lu is often the best player on the ice for us, even in a meltdown.

Think about it this way dude. if Luongo was consistent only allowing 2 or 1 goals in the 7 games, we probably only would have 1 game tops.

Point being, Lu had to get 2 shutouts for 2 wins because they were 1-0 games. Lu could have only allowed 2 or 3 goals in the games in Boston, we maybe would have won 1 of those games but would have lost the 2 or 3 that we won at home if he allowed even 2 goals

Marty and the like don't constantly have meltdowns in games, and let in 8 goals in the stanley cup finals, and do this multiple times in every playoff run.

This is so simple, how can you not understand? Whether or not you want Luongo gone, you must be able to understand the reason many people do. Stop acting like it makes no sense.

"Think about it this way dude. if Luongo was consistent only allowing 2 or 1 goals in the 7 games, we probably only would have 1 game tops. "

What the hell does this sentence mean? Maybe if luongo didn't play like trash, he wouldn't be trash? Maybe we would have won the cup? No joke..

Seriously fix your grammar or sentence structure because I read your 2nd paragraph five times and I still can't understand what the hell you're talking about. He had to let in under 4 goals? What a task! Truly insurmountable for a so called "elite" goaltender. Seriously what on earth are you talking about? Before you cite our goals average too, go back to my first post, when your goalie lets in 4 goals in a period or what have you, the forwards aren't exactly motivated to go score a ton of goals because they're basically out of the game at that point, so that brings the goal average down quite a bit.

Yeah where was their motovation to score when Luongo got 2 shutouts, they still only scored 1 goal in each of those games so you explanation for lack of goal scoring is pretty retarded...No surprised though your a moron if you can't understand what I mean after reading it 5 times....it is clear i am trying to argue with an idiot so I will stop

@Downundacanuck, did you not read the topic post? Obviously the marty comparison is my response to his own marty comparison... jesus...

You're saying that he had 2 shutouts in the playoffs, so therefore that negates his multiple meltdown games where he played like absolute garbage? That is exactly what I'm takling about, he is very INCONSISTENT. That is my response to the OP's post saying "NJ DOESN'T SELL OUT MARTY ETC", I'm saying he is incosistent as HELL, and that is the reason many people, including myself, want him out. That was my response to the OP, I was saying "Regardless of whether you want him or not, how can you not understand why people want him out"

You're talking about our goals total again, and let me point out yet again, that when a goalie lets in 4 soft goals to start out a game, or 8 goals, or what have you, the motivation to score is now gone, because the team is out of the game at that point. But even regardless of that, I never said that he lost the boston series for us. If he hadn't played like trash in many of the games, then we certainly would have won, there's no doubt. But never did I say it was 100% his fault.

Yeah where was their motovation to score when Luongo got 2 shutouts? They still only scored 1 goal in each of those games so you explanation for lack of goal scoring is pretty retarded...Not surprised though your a moron if you can't understand what I mean after reading it 5 times....it is clear i am trying to argue with an idiot so I will stop

The two 1-0 shutouts pretty much say it all. When a team scores 8 goals in 7 games, how dare you blame the goalie. He shouldn't have to put up a shutout every game to win a series, but he almost did. No other goalie would have been able to have done what he did - say what you want about Thomas but he was playing behind the best defence in the league and a Norris winner, meanwhile Luongo had a terrible defensive unit of Ehrhoff, an injured Edler, Rome, Tanev, Ballard, Bieksa and Salo. This team left him out to dry in all of those games except Game 2, we should of lost the series 4-0 or 4-1 so thank the goalie for those extra wins.

Marty and the like don't constantly have meltdowns in games, and let in 8 goals in the stanley cup finals and do this multiple times in every playoff run.

This is so simple, how can you not understand? Whether or not you want Luongo gone, you must be able to understand the reason many people do. Stop acting like it makes no sense.

edit : also pretty tired of this "He took us to the SCF game 7" BS. our team was stacked as hell then. If we didn't make it really deep or win the cup, then it's a disappointment, and it was.

He did the absolute furthest thing from putting the team on his back. He just managed to keep the number of meltdowns in net to a sustainable number to get us deep in the playoffs. (until the finals at least). that isn't even remotely the same as "him getting us to the stanley cup finals". almost any goalie would have "gotten us there" as well, with the team we had then.

You know what I'M tired of? "He let in 8 goals in the Stanley Cup Final". Give it a break kid. You're responding to a man who's been a fan for 37 years; not a 12 year old. The Schneider bandwagon is finally leaving town and things will be normal once again.

Schneider is NOT an adequate starter for the Vancouver Canucks and he's preventing Luongo from playing.

Great post OP.

Written with dignity. Too much dignity to query where our defence has been on some of Lu's bad nights. The game against Detroit was an example.

When you have a D that constantly gives up the puck, passes like the 3 blind mice and constantly collapses in on you and an offence that has needed upgrading for nearly 3 years, of course the goalie has to suffer.

Sometimes I think Lu is too classy, too quick to blame himself, too quick to pump the other guy's tyres and too self effacing in victory. But then that's why he will always be No 1 in my book.

Goals Against Average (GAA) – 8.05

Goals Against Average in Vancouver – 0.67

Wins at Home 3-0

Wins in Boston 0-3

Save Percentage in Vancouver .979

Save Percentage in Boston .773

Goals Allowed in Vancouver 2

Goals Allowed in Boston 15

Pre game 7 stats. He SUCKED in BOS but the game was at home. I would have started Schneids after game 3 in BOS but Lu was solid at home. You didn't watch the same game as me if you think the fowards/ D were sh!tting their pants for game 7- they were terrified of losing.

All due respect to Thomas but he was playing behind the best defence in the NHL. Anyone can play behind that stellar defence and look amazing - Thomas was already a great goaltender but playing with guys like Chara and co. in front of him made him seem God-like. Just look at what the defence is doing to Rask right now.

The key is - their goalies don't have to steal them games because the defence doesn't give up many opportunities. They simply play solid when chances go against them, which is rare at best. I don't remember one breakaway or even 2-on-1 that the Canucks earned in their entire playoff series against the Bruins, because their defence play a solid, stay-at-home, sit-back style and don't take stupid risks or pinch at bad times. Meanwhile the Canucks offered up 5 or 6 a game.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the Canucks' defensive system is hopeless and will never win a Cup the way it's structured right now. Cup-winning defences are built around solid defence first, then chip in offence occasionally and most importantly - opportunistically. That's how L.A, Boston and Chicago won Cups. Their defences NEVER gambled, but when the opponents did their forwards jumped on these mistakes and capitalized.

Right now we rely on our defence to score goals which is down-right stupid. Cup-winning teams win cups with 4 scoring forward lines, maybe 1 or 2 offensive defencemen and 4 solid shutdown guys. You can have the best goalie in the world, but he's going to be ventilated every night if we have a defence that is trying to score goals and forgetting about shutting down the other team's forwards.

Archived