The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and the last stand

37yrsncounting

our issues are not in goal.

I want Schnieder to stay because I think he is better, younger (fact), cheaper (fact) and he is stronger mentally (the difference between being very good and having the potential to be elite).

that being said, what this season is showing is, it doesn't matter which goalie is in net if we continue to play this way.

if trading schnieder means you get a guy like coutourier back and a pick well you have to consider it given our team and both short and long term holes.

however, just that deal won't be enough to fix this team, something needs to change in the back end, we also need more size up front that plays with emotion.

Effectively, this team doesn't need to be 'gutted' but its core needs to be changed. Its become stale, complacent, and lost its hunger.

So if the best deal get us more for schnieder to address those issues, along with a couple other trades you do it. but if it doesn't i dont see why you trade a higher value asset for cheap just bc you can't sell a lower value asset for much.

ie if I have a 2011 Porsche and a 2007 BMW, and my BMW is still damn good, alot of miles but hey its a BMW, reliable, good car, will go for alot more years but I want say 25k for it, and everyone is only offering me 15k because maybe it has a small dent in the door.

Well I say its just one small dent, this thing will still hum along for 7-9 years and you know you're getting a great car. But still, nope 15k.

Someone else comes to me and says well you can't sell your 2007 BMW so why don't you keep it, and sell me your 2011 Porsche for 55k, its more money and you still have a great car in the BMW. Well the Porsche is worth 100k so why would I sell it for 55k.

I am going to let someone rip me off on a high value asset because I can't sell a lower value asset for what I want for it?

No I say I'd rather lose 10k bc of the dent, than lose 45 k

thats my best analogy and think this firmly applies with Lou and Schnieds.

Schneider is younger yes possibily better in the future.. but no he's not really cheaper and will not be cheaper long term.. assuming he does go on to be great.. he's going to be demanding 6.5mil+ and we won't have the luxury of having a smaller cap with a longer term deal.. so no he's not really cheaper.. and right now at 4mil.. it's overpriced too..

Luongo at one point lost his job in the first round after he collapsed when we went up 3-0 only to look not half bad vs one of the worst offensive teams in Nashville.. we couldve had Peter Skudra in net vs Nashville and a beat up and tired Sharks team and still wouldve won those series easily.. then comes to the finals.. all 3 games canucks won our boys kept socring chances down cleared all rebounds and played great infront of Luongo ... all 3 wins Canucks out hit,out shot and out played boston on every inch of the ice ... boston was in everyone of those games because Tim Thomas kept them in it..... what happend when Boston out played Vancouver? did we have a goalie that had our back to bail us out? not even close...

Think about this.... Schneider didnt beat out the best goalie in the world for the starting job....Luongo came to vancouver touted as the best goalie in the world..then he was in the top 3 talk.. then it slipped to top 5 ....our first pres trophy season neither of Luongo's GAA or save % were even in the top 5 anymore....Schneider has simply won the job by doing just aswell of a job as Luongo for cheaper.. and Schnieder hasnt peaked ... Luongo is by no means on a sharp decline, but we have seen the best out of him....

If Luongo is as good as alot of these people say or think he is , then why hasnt there been a trade already? if hes so great his contract shouldnt be an issue.... with all these teams with goalie troubles ... If Luongo infact took a team that was "in the gutter befor he came here" and put them on his back and braught them to game 7 of the SCF...there would be a bidding war for him and we would get a kings ransom for him.... and that just flat out isnt happening.... so either the rest of the hockey world knows less than half the Canucks fans..(not probable) or they know hes not the answer and not worth his pay and hes not a top 5 goalie anymore.(probable)

Luongo at one point lost his job in the first round after he collapsed when we went up 3-0 only to look not half bad vs one of the worst offensive teams in Nashville.. we couldve had Peter Skudra in net vs Nashville and a beat up and tired Sharks team and still wouldve won those series easily.. then comes to the finals.. all 3 games canucks won our boys kept socring chances down cleared all rebounds and played great infront of Luongo ... all 3 wins Canucks out hit,out shot and out played boston on every inch of the ice ... boston was in everyone of those games because Tim Thomas kept them in it..... what happend when Boston out played Vancouver? did we have a goalie that had our back to bail us out? not even close...

Think about this.... Schneider didnt beat out the best goalie in the world for the starting job....Luongo came to vancouver touted as the best goalie in the world..then he was in the top 3 talk.. then it slipped to top 5 ....our first pres trophy season neither of Luongo's GAA or save % were even in the top 10 anymore....Schneider has simply won the job by doing just aswell of a job as Luongo for cheaper.. and Schnieder hasnt peaked ... Luongo is by no means on a sharp decline, but we have seen the best out of him....

If Luongo is as good as alot of these people say or think he is , then why hasnt there been a trade already? if hes so great his contract shouldnt be an issue.... with all these teams with goalie troubles ... If Luongo infact took a team that was "in the gutter befor he came here" and put them on his back and braught them to game 7 of the SCF...there would be a bidding war for him and we would get a kings ransom for him.... and that just flat out isnt happening.... so either the rest of the hockey world knows less than half the Canucks fans..(not probable) or they know hes not the answer and not worth his pay and hes not a top 5 goalie anymore.(probable)

no doubt schneider is a very good goalie but he hasn't really proven himself as a starter let alone 'elite'. To say he's simply better based on his numbers of games is a very risky judgement. Mentally, he may handle interviews better, but look at his play this year. He's not handling the current situation very well. Is it because of the goalie controversy or the fact that he's a starter?

Honestly, I believe you would get a much better price for your 2011 porsche unless it was bought from the states.

I have been a Canuck fan for 37 years and for years I lived with mediorce goaltending and dreams of the Canucks playing for the stanley cup. Back in 2006/7, along comes Luongo and wow, singlehandly pushed our team into the playoffs and was a rock in the Dallas playoff series especially in one of the longest playoff game ever to involve the Canucks. Back then, Luongo was regarded as a superstar as he alone gave the Canucks a chance to win every night.

Putting 7uongo in net at this point is asking to lose. He's washed up. Might get a couple good games in during the regular season but he's been abysmal almost every other game. Starting him in the playoffs is basically surrendering.

Schneider is the starter now, Ro8erto is actively being shopped and is gone by draft day. Get over it.

so you have a crystal ball and predict Luongo guaranteed lose game 6 if he started? retards here keeps bringing back we were up 3-0 in the series and it went to game 7.. well Luongo only started 6 games so technically he was 4-2 in the series.. i would hardly say he choked going up 3-0.. you can say all u want about the SCF at least he got us close with a chance to win it.. game 3 4 6 was terrible.. game 7 the whole team decided to sleep in.. you can say he's not a top 5 goalie.. nor is his cap top 5 in terms of goalie so what's your point? Luongo signed that long term deal also to help the Canucks.. i'm sure he woulda made the same amount of money if he was to sign a shorter term with a much higher cap hit.. but that would also handicap the canucks in terms of getting another player or 2 to make a run.. i can really care less which goalie we end up keeping now.. coz it's looking more and more like we'll be blowing up the team in a year or 2.. so whatever.

Putting 7uongo in net at this point is asking to lose. He's washed up. Might get a couple good games in during the regular season but he's been abysmal almost every other game. Starting him in the playoffs is basically surrendering.

Schneider is the starter now, Ro8erto is actively being shopped and is gone by draft day. Get over it.

Archived