The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and the last stand

37yrsncounting

@Downundacanuck, did you not read the topic post? Obviously the marty comparison is my response to his own marty comparison... jesus...

You're saying that he had 2 shutouts in the playoffs, so therefore that negates his multiple meltdown games where he played like absolute garbage? That is exactly what I'm takling about, he is very INCONSISTENT. That is my response to the OP's post saying "NJ DOESN'T SELL OUT MARTY ETC", I'm saying he is incosistent as HELL, and that is the reason many people, including myself, want him out. That was my response to the OP, I was saying "Regardless of whether you want him or not, how can you not understand why people want him out"

You're talking about our goals total again, and let me point out yet again, that when a goalie lets in 4 soft goals to start out a game, or 8 goals, or what have you, the motivation to score is now gone, because the team is out of the game at that point. But even regardless of that, I never said that he lost the boston series for us. If he hadn't played like trash in many of the games, then we certainly would have won, there's no doubt. But never did I say it was 100% his fault.

Last year in the Stanley cup finals, Brodeur let in 3 goals in the 1st period and lost 6-1 in a must win game 6 and also lost another game by a score of 4-0, if you decide to check out his stats in the cup finals, you will see that his save percentage was similar to Luongo's 8 goal performance in Boston.

In the 2009 playoffs, the devils had a 3-2 lead with over a minute left in the 7th game against the hurricanes, Brodeur got scored on twice to lose the game and series.

All Im trying to point out is that every goalie will have let downs and melt downs during their career, it doesn't necessary have to be 8 goals allowed or 4 goals in the first. AV could have pulled Luongo after 3 goals and that would have been that.

Patrick Roy melted down in Detroit in a regular season game and allowed 9 goals, after that he was traded to Colorado and won another cup.

You could say the team lacked motivation to score because Luongo let in this and that but put the shoe on the other foot, think of the stress and pressure that the team puts Luongo through knowing that he almost had to be perfect to win a game cause the team infront of him wasn't scoring goals.

Dont get me wrong, Im not disagreeing that Luongo played poorly in those games in Boston or in Chicago but does that mean we have to run him out of town? Do you think another goalie will have done better given the pressure cooker atmosphere here.

The last real starting goaltender here was Dan cloutier and we all saw how he did against Detroit when we had a 2 game to 0 lead against them. It was just one goal from center ice, one goal that turned the whole series around and for that goal he was never the same again.

Honestly what makes you think Schneider is a better goalie than Luongo at the moment. Schneider has been great as a backup but he hasnt proven anything yet as a starter in the NHL In a shortened season and with the team floundering and Schneider struggling, give Luongo one more shot to take his team to the playoffs. There is always next year for Schneider.

I have been a Canuck fan for 37 years and for years I lived with mediorce goaltending and dreams of the Canucks playing for the stanley cup. Back in 2006/7, along comes Luongo and wow, singlehandly pushed our team into the playoffs and was a rock in the Dallas playoff series especially in one of the longest playoff game ever to involve the Canucks. Back then, Luongo was regarded as a superstar as he alone gave the Canucks a chance to win every night.

Flash forward to 2013, after the Canucks have made the playoffs every year except for one. After division titles and presidents trophies that apparently no one cares about. After Gillis played with his mind and made him captain then teared it off his jersey. After Luongo won a gold medal, the jennings trophy, and after taking us within one game of the stanley cup. The media and us fans wants to run him out of town. Remember, he didn't ask for a trade and only said he wouldn't mind being moved if it was best for the team. Yes later he said it was time to move on but at that time, he thought he had played his last game for the Canucks

Luongo did collapse against Chicago but at the end of the day, Luongo made the stop on Patrick sharp and we finally beat the black hawks. In the cup finals, our offence couldn't produce, yet we made it to the 7th game of the finals. Who do you think got us there, Luongo of course.

With all that history, Luongo now has to share playing time with Schneider and is now considered a back up. Schneider is very good but he's still an unproven starter that hasn't won many titles everywhere he's played. Schneider has been given the chance this year and clearly the last few games shows he's not ready yet. Stop with all the nonsense about playing into a rhythm, Cory has been a back up and has played very well with minimal games the last two years.

One thing i don't' understand is that Marty Brodeur still plays for the devils, Miller still plays for the Sabres, Cam Ward still plays for the hurricanes, and Fleury still plays for the penguins. These are all elite goaltenders that can and have had off years in their career. We have Luongo, why do we want to run the best goaltender we've had out of town?

One point many fans have forgotten in my opinion is that this is Luongo's team, the core guys developed through the years that Luongo has been here.

With the way the team is playing infront of Schneider and the way Cory has been playing (last year, he made every save look easy. He looked like he wasn't moving between post to post. This year he's flopping around and losing his post and angles) Its time to give Luongo the starting job and let him run with it.

Yes Luongo was ventilated in Detroit but he's had his shares of bad games. Its time the Canucks get off their 'Schnieds' and give Luongo one last stand to lead the team he's back stopped the last 7 years. The core group deserves one last chance to run with Luongo, a shot at the playoffs and the stanley cup.

"Think about it this way dude. if Luongo was consistent only allowing 2 or 1 goals in the 7 games, we probably only would have 1 game tops. "

What the hell does this sentence mean? Maybe if luongo didn't play like trash, he wouldn't be trash? Maybe we would have won the cup? No joke..

Seriously fix your grammar or sentence structure because I read your 2nd paragraph five times and I still can't understand what the hell you're talking about. He had to let in under 4 goals? What a task! Truly insurmountable for a so called "elite" goaltender. Seriously what on earth are you talking about? Before you cite our goals average too, go back to my first post, when your goalie lets in 4 goals in a period or what have you, the forwards aren't exactly motivated to go score a ton of goals because they're basically out of the game at that point, so that brings the goal average down quite a bit.

Putting 7uongo in net at this point is asking to lose. He's washed up. Might get a couple good games in during the regular season but he's been abysmal almost every other game. Starting him in the playoffs is basically surrendering.

Schneider is the starter now, Ro8erto is actively being shopped and is gone by draft day. Get over it.

Here is an article for those who only see Luongo as the problem.

Over the last 12 playoff games, Luongo has a 3-6 record and Schneider has 1-2 record.

Both times the Canucks scored more than two goals, once in regulation against the Kings and once in overtime against the Bruins, the team won.

The other two wins came in 1-0 games in the Stanley Cup final, when Luongo held the fort and pitched a shutout to steal games the Canucks didn't deserve to win.

Maybe Luongo has to be traded so the Canucks can have a better chance at the Stanley Cup. But that will be because they need to move an asset in goal to upgrade the skaters, not because the problem was in goal in the first place.

And if GM Mike Gillis doesn't fix the scoring problems, it doesn't matter how Schneider plays compared to Luongo, because the team won't win in the playoffs.

You can't want people to stop blaming Lu and blame Schneider in the same breath. I see what you are trying to do, (hold up a mirror to them, this is what you said in the playoffs etc) but it just makes you look like a hypocrite instead.

If you want fans to support the team as a whole, you need to lead by example and that also includes Schneider, like it or not.

Even Tampa found a way to get through to him. Maybe if we learned by watching what Tampa did we would have been fine. Thomas wasn't a brick wall. His play style had some big weaknesses that only a few teams actually bothered figuring out.

...and right on cue, in the same thread where somebody is touting Lou for "singlehandedly" doing everything when he played well is the "team game" response when somebody points out his (many) playoff meltdowns. Lou is a very good goalie but he has never won a single INDIVIDUAL award in his long NHL career. Good but not great.

...and right on cue, in the same thread where somebody is touting Lou for "singlehandedly" doing everything when he played well is the "team game" response when somebody points out his (many) playoff meltdowns. Lou is a very good goalie but he has never won a single INDIVIDUAL award in his long NHL career. Good but not great.

Archived