210 replies to this topic

#181 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hopefully after todays win in Columbus, Luongo will get a chance to get it done, playoffs then the cup!

#182 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

A good voice of reason my friend. I will have to agree that Luongo has made a case for being perhaps the greatest Canuck of all time for elevating the Canucks to such a winning status (never before had Canucks been 50+ win contenders). He should have immortalized his status, winning gold for Canada on Canuck ice as the sole Canuck on the Canadian gold-winning team.

Well, Luongo just may leave because he had requested a trade, something that has yet to materialize. And I don't blame him - Canuck fans need to take a cue from fans from New Jersey, Pittsburgh, and Carolina. Don't throw your goaltender under the bus just because he failed to come through at key moments. Especially if he happens to be the main reason you come within one game of winning it all.

Luongo himself needed to grow by not taking too much on himself and learning to handle criticism, which he has this season. He's grown up indeed, but my question is, when will Canuck fans grow up?

#183 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Yes, because it is ridiculous to think that a goalie's play will be affected when almost every player on the team that he normally plays behind is either injured or suspended.

How do you think Luongo felt playing behind a defence that was led by Edler, Bieksa and Ehrhoff (who were all injured) and supported by Tanev and Ballard (Ballard hadn't played a game for weeks and was suddenly put into the number 1 shut down pair). His defence was also missing Hamhuis and Rome, both of whom were a lot more reliable defensively when compared to the guys playing against Boston.

Did you read that part where I said "soft goals". I'll say it again for you: with the number of injuries we couldn't afford ANY soft goals and there were too many of them. Every game a goalie is going to face shots. Every game he will face some quality shots. Even when the D is completely healthy this happens. It's his job to stop them. Particularly the easy ones.
Posted Image

#184 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hey Luongo has a CDC account and he appears to be another masochistic Luongo apologist.

You're going to be traded dude..sorry but you just can't let in 4 softies in game seven of the SCF. In fact, you can't collapse at all in playoff hockey. It's what defines you.

Edited by dirk diggler, 13 March 2013 - 12:50 AM.

"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#185 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Good article:

http://www.theprovin...7162/story.html

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#186 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

He du man plain and simple run with luo the rest ov the way :emot-parrot:

#187 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Good article:

http://www.theprovin...7162/story.html

It was a good read.
Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:
http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/

#188 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

POPULAR

Hey Luongo has a CDC account and he appears to be another masochistic Luongo apologist.

You're going to be traded dude..sorry but you just can't let in 4 softies in game seven of the SCF. In fact, you can't collapse at all in playoff hockey. It's what defines you.

YOU ARE AN .... nvm
WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SWEPT.... LUONGO WAS AMAZING... he made two huge saves in game seven when it was tied at zero. Go watch the game, try watching it sober though. Maybe take some ritalin and other ADD pills so it'll help u understand.

Edited by apollo, 13 March 2013 - 09:39 AM.

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#189 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

no... we need changes and if lu is what we need to make those changes then so be it..... luonog and the core has had their chances and failed because of one reason and one reason only ... they have no heart... and that is apart of the coachs' doing..... when you lose that bad in game 7 of the cup finals in front of the home crowd... i mean really the canucks made thomas look like he was a god.... he wasn't... the xtra effort just wasn't there as it isn't now.... i am a fan and i am being realistic about this team... now a team that heart was the 94 team that went the distance... a team that had trevor linden on it.....

Edited by Canuck hero, 13 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

#190 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

THIS TEAMS ISSUE ISN'T GOALTENDING....They have no offense.

#191 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Only lonely 23 Games left . If we want to go in playoffs this year , we must keep Lu and put him in net atleast 15-16 games . Schneider well also start first game in playoff , because ppls said " Schneiderman is best goalie than luongo " hahaha

But I wish luongo could start next 2-3 games !
Forever Canuck !

#192 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Every time I think of Luongo leaving I think of Roy going to Quebec....... Shivers**

#193 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Every time I think of Luongo leaving I think of Roy going to Quebec....... Shivers**

If it makes you feel better, I like to think of it more as Curtis Joseph leaving the Leafs, the first time

#194 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Its exactly that. Except more fans took Roy s side. But in Vancouver they just love to run a guy like luongo out of town

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#195 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Tough one for Schneids. The only way he can succeed in Vancouver is if he never has a single bad game. He has to out-perform a damn good goalie in Luongo.

Trading Schneider to a non contender makes perfect sense. He needs a couple of years to develop into the solid, confident tender he will eventually become.

The Canucks don't have a couple of years, they need to run at the cup this year or next at the very latest and then they will need to rebuild.

It's time for Gillis to pull the trigger and make some bold moves. He said he would but so far all he has done is get lunch pail guys. We need to stack this team now, get some second and third line strength and stop depending on the Sedins and the goal tender to get a win. Watching Colombus take them to a loss and almost another loss is just pathetic if you think the Canucks are a Cup contender.

I don't care how good the goal tender is, if the offence can only score one goal in a game, they are not going to win very many games and even fewer cups.

Wow, 40+ years with no cup and the way these guys are going, it looks like another 8 or 10. I believe the Canucks will then hold the coveted league record for underachieving sell out teams. What a horrible joke.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#196 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

THIS TEAMS ISSUE ISN'T GOALTENDING....They have no offense.

agree we need to score more goals then we currently are that is our major problem luo can still getter done just need to get the offence in gear

#197 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Tough one for Schneids. The only way he can succeed in Vancouver is if he never has a single bad game. He has to out-perform a damn good goalie in Luongo.

Trading Schneider to a non contender makes perfect sense. He needs a couple of years to develop into the solid, confident tender he will eventually become.

The Canucks don't have a couple of years, they need to run at the cup this year or next at the very latest and then they will need to rebuild.

It's time for Gillis to pull the trigger and make some bold moves. He said he would but so far all he has done is get lunch pail guys. We need to stack this team now, get some second and third line strength and stop depending on the Sedins and the goal tender to get a win. Watching Colombus take them to a loss and almost another loss is just pathetic if you think the Canucks are a Cup contender.

I don't care how good the goal tender is, if the offence can only score one goal in a game, they are not going to win very many games and even fewer cups.

Wow, 40+ years with no cup and the way these guys are going, it looks like another 8 or 10. I believe the Canucks will then hold the coveted league record for underachieving sell out teams. What a horrible joke.

Yup buddy of mine and I always joke about 3 stanley cup runs in 37 years of being a fan, that leave us with 3 and at best 4 runs left, hopefully we find a way to live long enough to see the day Canucks actually win one.

Edited by 36yrsncounting, 13 March 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#198 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Marty and the like don't constantly have meltdowns in games, and let in 8 goals in the stanley cup finals, and do this multiple times in every playoff run.

This is so simple, how can you not understand? Whether or not you want Luongo gone, you must be able to understand the reason many people do. Stop acting like it makes no sense.

edit : also pretty tired of this "He took us to the SCF game 7" BS. our team was stacked as hell then. If we didn't make it really deep or win the cup, then it's a disappointment, and it was.

He did the absolute furthest thing from putting the team on his back. He just managed to keep the number of meltdowns in net to a sustainable number to get us deep in the playoffs. (until the finals at least). that isn't even remotely the same as "him getting us to the stanley cup finals". almost any goalie would have "gotten us there" as well, with the team we had then.

If we was stacked as hell, how can you explain we only scored 8 goals in 7 games? Without Luongo after 4 games it would have been over in the SCF.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#199 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Been treated poorly by our organization?!?!?!?!?

Are you for real?

He's going to earn millions of dollars till he's retired and maybe after retirement under a ntc....ye sucks to be Lu as a part of one if the most "employee" conscious organizations in sports.

You obviously don't realize Luongo's NTC does NOT run the length of his contract.
IMO you keep him until he is tradable, if the team hasn't won by then you rebuild.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#200 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

You obviously don't realize Luongo's NTC does NOT run the length of his contract.
IMO you keep him until he is tradable, if the team hasn't won by then you rebuild.

fair enough but if hes not tradable now his return at the five or seven year mark will get us chips...not the blue kind.

however at this point if we're truly aiming for cup contention than whatever goalie brings the best return (future considerations incl) should be traded.

i dont want a futureless team for the sake of a cup.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#201 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Its exactly that. Except more fans took Roy s side. But in Vancouver they just love to run a guy like luongo out of town

Roy had 2 Stanley Cups, 2 Conn Smythes, 3 Vezinas, 4 Jennings, and was 28 years old. Luongo will be 34 next month and has nothing, the situations are not at all alike.

#202 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

If we was stacked as hell, how can you explain we only scored 8 goals in 7 games? Without Luongo after 4 games it would have been over in the SCF.

One word: INJURIES.

Without the stacked team they never would have made to the finals. Unfortunately with the vast number of injuries by the time we got there Lou was our only hope left of actually winning it. He played bipolar. Luongod one game and Luondog the next.

You guys can keep going on about 8 goals in 7 games but what did you expect with the entire second line injured, the entire top four D injured, the number one center injured, the checking center injured, that seasons best 2nd line replacement injured and as a bonus a d-man suspended? Keep in mind there was there was a Vezina winner plus a Norris winner playing at the other end of the rink. Talk about burying your head in the sand. The Bruins only had two healthy guys left to really cover, Daniel and Burrows.

I wouldn't complain at all if Lou performed like Thomas. Thomas gave his team a chance to win every game of the finals. Allowing 4+ goal leads isn't exactly giving your team a chance to win. Particularly when it's as beat up as it was. But even still, I blame injuries more than Lou. Asking a goalie to perform like Vezina winner for seven straight games is a lot to ask of a goalie that's never won a Vezina.
Posted Image

#203 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

Yup buddy of mine and I always joke about 3 stanley cup runs in 37 years of being a fan, that leave us with 3 and at best 4 runs left, hopefully we find a way to live long enough to see the day Canucks actually win one.

Well you've got more time than me. But as much as I'd like to see them win a cup it won't actually have any real impact on my life. It's not like they're going to let me take the cup home for a day or even hoist it over my head. lol
Posted Image

#204 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Roy had 2 Stanley Cups, 2 Conn Smythes, 3 Vezinas, 4 Jennings, and was 28 years old. Luongo will be 34 next month and has nothing, the situations are not at all alike.

Sure but check out the teams and players Roy played behind then realize luongo has only played in vancouver and Florida. Check out career save percentages and you see luongo is ahead of Roy in reg season play and .002 behind in playoffs. Roy is great, yes but so were the teams he played for. Much easier to win trophies that way. Have you seen our team defense lately? Btw, does Roy have an Olympic gold medal around his neck? Hmm.

#205 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Well you've got more time than me. But as much as I'd like to see them win a cup it won't actually have any real impact on my life. It's not like they're going to let me take the cup home for a day or even hoist it over my head. lol

Lol. I've gone pass the point where I've tried to convince myself that the Canucks do not impact my life. The truth is they do. Social, economical, and emotional impact. Look at you, 9000 posts later, you are more invested in the Canucks than you think

#206 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Sure but check out the teams and players Roy played behind then realize luongo has only played in vancouver and Florida. Check out career save percentages and you see luongo is ahead of Roy in reg season play and .002 behind in playoffs. Roy is great, yes but so were the teams he played for. Much easier to win trophies that way. Have you seen our team defense lately? Btw, does Roy have an Olympic gold medal around his neck? Hmm.

Wait, are we comparing Lu to Roy????

Sorry, but just no. The microscoping logic you used there could make virtually any goalie in Roy's league. "Cloutier had three straight 30 win seasons= HHOF material!!!" Reality is that Roy was rare like a Gretzky and LU is like a much larger sample of players we have seen come and go over the years. A bit better then most but not going to be in the Hall of fame or anything.

And I am sure Lu would pawn off that gold medal in a second for all of Roy's hardware.

Edited by TimberWolf, 15 March 2013 - 09:50 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#207 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

When Roy played in Montreal it was a much higher scoring era, it was not unusual for teams to score 300 or more goals per season. Those Montreal teams in '86 and '93 that Roy won cups with were not expected to do anything in the playoffs. Roy put those teams on his back and carried them to those 2 cups, which is why he won the Conn Smythe both times.

As for comparing Roy and Luongo's stats, it's not a fair comparison because of the different eras. What is somewhat surprising is that despite the more offensive era that Roy played half of his career during, his playoff save% is higher than Luongo's.

Finally no, Roy doesn't have a gold medal. He merely has almost everything else.

#208 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Wait, are we comparing Lu to Roy????

Sorry, but just no. The microscoping logic you used there could make virtually any goalie in Roy's league. "Cloutier had three straight 30 win seasons= HHOF material!!!" Reality is that Roy was rare like a Gretzky and LU is like a much larger sample of players we have seen come and go over the years. A bit better then most but not going to be in the Hall of fame or anything.

And I am sure Lu would pawn off that gold medal in a second for all of Roy's hardware.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the two. Roy is in a class all by himself. What I've been trying to point out with comparisons is that even great goalies like roy melt down every so often. Which seems to be the main complaint about luongo's play.

You agree that Lou is a bit better than most so why don't we give him one more run this year. You really think Schneider with one year of experience in the NHL could push this team over the hump?

Edited by 36yrsncounting, 15 March 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#209 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

When Roy played in Montreal it was a much higher scoring era, it was not unusual for teams to score 300 or more goals per season. Those Montreal teams in '86 and '93 that Roy won cups with were not expected to do anything in the playoffs. Roy put those teams on his back and carried them to those 2 cups, which is why he won the Conn Smythe both times.

As for comparing Roy and Luongo's stats, it's not a fair comparison because of the different eras. What is somewhat surprising is that despite the more offensive era that Roy played half of his career during, his playoff save% is higher than Luongo's.

Finally no, Roy doesn't have a gold medal. He merely has almost everything else.

I was just trying to say that luongo doesn't have Robinson and Chelios or Blake and Bourque playing in front of him.

#210 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the two. Roy is in a class all by himself. What I've been trying to point out with comparisons is that even great goalies like roy melt down every so often. Which seems to be the main complaint about luongo's play.

You agree that Lou is a bit better than most so why don't we give him one more run this year. You really think Schneider with one year of experience in the NHL could push this team over the hump?

Well, there was this guy that was a rookie goalie that won a cup whose name escapes me....... :bigblush:

Edited by TimberWolf, 15 March 2013 - 09:39 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.