The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Movement] Schroeder assigned to CHI

Strombone1

No kidding. If they were gonna call up a different kind of player, then fine. But Ebbett really brings no more to the table than Schroeder.

And is Ebbett going to play on the fourth line like Schroeder? Something tells me he's not...

Only AV would play a top 6 skilled playmaking prospect on the fourth line. It's hard not to think that he's purposely putting a player in a position to fail when he does that.

I wonder if this is to develop some chemistry with Jensen because there's a shake up on the horizon and they will both be called up?

Maybe gillis has something up his sleeve?.. I'm on the crucify AV bandwagon at the moment but gillis has made more smart moves than he has bad ones so he's not on my fire list yet. Overall he's pushed this team in the right direction since he's been here and created a winning culture. Av however makes puzzling moves all the time though.

I'd credit gillis with the teams success at times when we hang on to do good when we really don't seem to be playing well. The moves he's made have kept us afloat and even won a surprising pres trophy last year with uninspired play after the Boston game.

They were just wasting Schroeder anyway. This way he'll get more ice time, and more importantly more experience.

Plus playing with Jensen won't hurt either

I sincerely don't believe AV is trying to break anyone, I think he believes he is doing what's best for the team. And sometimes he makes brilliant moves. But, as my wise old grand dad used to say, even a blind squirrel occasionally gets a nut. And when you have a team that is so stacked - there are really only a handful of forwards that aren't top 9, and defensemen who aren't top 4 for that matter - it's almost impossible to make a crappy move. I happen to think that embarrassment of riches has actually done more damage to this team long term than anything else.

What I mean by that is, is has well-disguised any shortcomings to have so many good players, as they have been able to win despite lack of well rounded strategy, toughness, etc. Presidents Trophies, Jack Adams, SCF game 7, and all of the other hardware make it pretty hard to turn a critical eye on yourself. And to some extent, it's fair. After all, results are the most important thing. However, no matter how good you are, it should always be your intention to improve. The most successful, talented, gifted individuals in the world always say this; If you are satisfied with how good you are, you get soft 9or words to that effect). If you don't stay hungry, you can't maintain elite status. And if you are able, as a team, to win despite having areas that need improving, you are not actually being as good as you can possibly be.

But I digress. I don't necessarily think AV is trying to damage these players (Hodgson, Schroeder, Ballard, Kassian, etc), he just has too much confidence in his instincts to know that he may be hurting rather than hindering them, and thus, the team.

:picard: I'm trying to have faith that MG has something else in the works. I don't think Schroeder was given enough time to develop and find his groove with the Canucks. Actually, I don't think ANY of them have been able to develop a groove since AV keeps juggling the lines around so much. He's not using his players where he should be imo, but the biggest problem is there's no consistency for anyone on the team right now except the Sedin's. Trade a goalie (preferably Schneids), put Kassian back with the Sedins and Burrows on the second line where we really need him right now. When Kesler is back put Burrows back with the Sedins and Kassian on the third line.

Be honest. He didn't produce much when he was playing on the 2nd and 3rd line or the Power play either. If he had he wouldn't have found himself demoted to 4th line minutes.

The team needs a shake-up and he is the 1st victim. I'm assuming they hope it will be a "warning shot off the bow" to the rest of the team. It was the one move they could make that wouldn't allow them to lose a roster player or depth.

Whether it is enough I guess we will see.

The next move in my opinion is firing Newell Brown. Generally I fully support Av and his staff but the power play outage cost us a Stanley Cup, had declining effectiveness last year and has been atrocious of late. Costing this man his job may wake everyone on the PP up a bit.

I personally think he's to small to succeed as he's not like Ronning or Fluery. That said, I also don't think he had much of a chance to prove me wrong. Being jammed into a checking role when you are a member of the lollipop guild and stuck between goons when you are a playmaker isn't the best way to find out what you bring to the table.

Really think AV would be much happier coaching a trap team again.

If rather have a coach who was smart enough to know a small, offensive center wouldn't succeed as a 4th line center. He hasn't been able to accept that not every prospect is going to fit into the same mold as Kesler.

At the expense of the team? Ebbett can create more on the ice than Schroeder can on the 4th line.

If it was this time last year we wouldn't even be talking about this because everyone loved Ebbett.

I'm sorry but both Schroeder and more importantly the Canucks are better with him in the minors. Ebbett is mostly a lateral move at this point but somethin needed to happen.

"Hey Kassian. Great play out there. You're our highest scorer. But the twins aren't putting up points, so here. Go to the 4th line, despite being our best forward right now."

"Hey Schroeder. Kesler is hurt. We know you're a future top 6 scoring center, but we're going to put Burrows or Raymond on the second line as a center. Now, I know they've never played center before in a long time, but we think you fit right in on the 3rd and 4th line."

I don't get AV's lines at all sometimes. The twins and Burrows didn't get THAT much better to justify not putting Kassian back up on the first line, but now that he's not scoring on the 4th (not surprisingly), it's like AV is punishing by not putting him back up there. And replacing Kesler with Burrows and Raymond when Schroeder would fit naturally and get a good shot at improving his game is just retarded. Burrows and Raymond are absolutely brutal at faceoffs, yet low and behold, free second line center time, even though they hadn't played since like junior leagues. How do you even justify these roster moves? Seriously.

Archived