267 replies to this topic

#31 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

This is starting to feel like the 2007-08 team. The team completely dried up offensively at the end, and we slipped just outside of a playoff spot by losing 7 of our last 8 games. Not many people had confidence in that team. We struggled with injuries, looked flat, and needed to make changes.

Even if we make the playoffs this year, I think changes need to be made. The team is beginning to descend back into its 2007-2009 (until that year's turning point vs Carolina) state after three tremendous seasons. Ebbett isn't going to help us. The team needs to make a move, ie. the replacement of one of the coaching staff.

Edited by WeatherWise, 11 March 2013 - 08:07 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#32 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

No miraculous trade can salvage this season or bring us to the cup. What we need is a coaching change. I've always supported AV, but his time is done now. Specially when Ruff is available.

#33 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Still don't know why we didn't go after Turris.

We had Hodgson at the time.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#34 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

what does av see in ebbett that no one else sees?
Fire MG

#35 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have a feeling that mg will announce a trade that brings us Mueller in 30 mins

You have about 3 minutes.
Posted Image

#36 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Wow, what a rock star move, just the jump start this team needed.

Really though, we had a great line in Raymond, Schroeder and Hansen, then suddenly Schroeder finds himself on the fourth line surrounded by plugs, and is expected to "earn his ice time back" or whatever? How is he supposed to do that without any help? His wingers weren't exactly elevating their play!

Gotta agree, AV put him in a position to fail instead of showing some confidence in him, and now he's back in Chicago, and golden boy Ebbett is going to be the answers? Keep rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, guys...

#37 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,365 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

POPULAR

I'm starting to think AV didn't want Schroeder on this team. He would prefer to have big grinders than small playmakers.

What's the best way to make sure he's off the team?

Play him on the fourth line!

Play him on the point on the powerplay so he's ineffective!

Make sure as soon as he finds linemates he can play with to switch him off!

I honestly think Gillis has gotta be getting frustrated that he keeps giving AV these talented players, and he uses them completely ineffectively.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#38 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

what does av see in ebbett that no one else sees?

He may chew gum?

#39 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Less about Ebbett being an upgrade and more about Schroeder getting more playing time.
Posted Image

#40 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Geezus. What was wrong with the lines we had before Kesler came back? Just cause the Sedins and Burrows keep racking up the points, they are the ONLY ones putting up points. Spread out the skill and get other guys going.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Burrows - Booth
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

This move is only acceptable if it is a precursor to a trade bringing back a center. Otherwise, 1st overall pick this year sounds nice..

#41 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,365 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Less about Ebbett being an upgrade and more about Schroeder getting more playing time.

Is that the kool aide that Gillis wants us to drink?

If they want to give him more playing time, why didn't they try it on the big club?

Now Ebbett's just gonna be handed that opportunity without earning it?

I don't buy it. They just don't see him fitting on this team, that's all. "we want him to get his confidence back" means he's not good enough for this team.

Posted Image

#42 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Maybe Schroeder's just not all that great? Since that two-goal Cgy game he's done nothing. Why? Because he's not top-6 NHL ready at this point.

We didn't draft Patrick Kane. We didn't draft Martin St. Louis. We didn't even draft Andrew Shaw.
Posted Image

#43 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Schroeder wasn't exactly lighting it up boys and girls. He earned being demoted. An awful lot of you seem to forget that he was given a chance to grab the bull by the horns. He just didn't make it hard enough to move him to the fourth line.
He needs this move back, he isn't noticeable right now and for a small forward that is bad.
Ebbett is playing some good hockey right now and the nucks don't have enough options at centre to be picky. It is what it is.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#44 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 75,334 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ebbett? Really?

307mg00.jpg

#45 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,365 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

Schroeder wasn't exactly lighting it up boys and girls. He earned being demoted. An awful lot of you seem to forget that he was given a chance to grab the bull by the horns. He just didn't make it hard enough to move him to the fourth line.
He needs this move back, he isn't noticeable right now and for a small forward that is bad.
Ebbett is playing some good hockey right now and the nucks don't have enough options at centre to be picky. It is what it is.

Oh so I guess Booth will be playing on the fourth line next game?

Oh wait, veterans get a free pass.

Schroeder was playing good when he was put with decent linemates. He needed to be given time there to adjust though. But the coach drops him to the fourth line after a couple bad games.

And using him on the point on the powerplay is just dumb. He needs to be on the half wall setting up plays like he has his whole career.

Don't expect Ebbett to bring a whole lot more.

Posted Image

#46 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

He isn't the best option for the second line but he was our best option. It's mind boggling that he was being played on the 4th line when he has more skill then most of the players bottom 9 players. He was playing good and making his line mates better when he was on the second, moving him to the 4th was setting him up to fail.

One thing I noticed last game is no line excluding the 1st can pass and they over pass. This team truly is starting to look like a bunch of plugs out there, welcome Ebbett!!!

#47 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,129 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, he was looking good until Booth came back and AV was able to frack with the lines again. I swear, we need to get rid of the depth and only give AV one option in each spot. Our depth is killing us.

Edited by Dogbyte, 11 March 2013 - 08:43 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#48 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,746 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

POPULAR

Nice job AV. Like he was going to do something on the 4th line :picard:

As opposed to everything he had done on every other line.

Wait that was nothing.

Schroeder really just wasn't quite ready to make the jump. Ice time didn't seem to make any difference in his game.

Maybe next year he'll be ready to be a regular.

Not everything is AV's fault...sometimes players just aren't ready or capable of playing where we want them to. DOn't get me wrong AV is clearly responsible for bringing Hitler to power and caused the Holocaust according to most of the mouth breathers here but he can't make young players outperform their abilities...no coach can.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,746 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

Is that the kool aide that Gillis wants us to drink?

If they want to give him more playing time, why didn't they try it on the big club?

Now Ebbett's just gonna be handed that opportunity without earning it?

I don't buy it. They just don't see him fitting on this team, that's all. "we want him to get his confidence back" means he's not good enough for this team.

You're much smarter than this stupid statement.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes, I see the logic here. Clearly Schroeder for Ebbett is just the kind of huge shakeup this team needs to get going..... :picard:

Anyone want to place wagers on Ebbett centering the 2nd line?

#51 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Another example of why Av and his staff need to go.
Come on Ebbet are you kidding me?
Says how crappy the wolves depth is if the only option is Ebbet.

Av just needs more plugs once again. His favorite types.

#52 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

You're much smarter than this stupid statement.

There is nothing wrong with what he said, reread it and think outside the box.

#53 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Oh so I guess Booth will be playing on the fourth line next game?

Oh wait, veterans get a free pass.

Schroeder was playing good when he was put with decent linemates. He needed to be given time there to adjust though. But the coach drops him to the fourth line after a couple bad games.

And using him on the point on the powerplay is just dumb. He needs to be on the half wall setting up plays like he has his whole career.

Don't expect Ebbett to bring a whole lot more.

He might not have been putting up a lot of points, but Raymond and Hansen were doing quite well with him anchoring the second line. With Higgins there they are doing well, but Higgins could also be used more effectively in a different role.

Edit: Bolded part of DeNiro's quote for emphasis, I completely agree with him.

Edited by Raiun, 11 March 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#54 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

They did try to give him more time here. And after the Calgary game he vanished.

You know what the real problem is? That we don't have another decent center prospect who's even close to being NHL ready.

That's the real problem.
Posted Image

#55 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Maybe Schroeder's just not all that great? Since that two-goal Cgy game he's done nothing. Why? Because he's not top-6 NHL ready at this point.

We didn't draft Patrick Kane. We didn't draft Martin St. Louis. We didn't even draft Andrew Shaw.

Maybe he is Martin StLouis or maybe he is Cliff Ronning
Its just that we are not Tampa or the 92 Canucks
We are Pheonix or The 90 Blues

#56 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Honestly, I don't think Schroeder is ready to fit with what the coaching staff wants him to do. He has played okay but nothing lights out imo.

I don't hate this move if it is evaluated in terms of Schroeder individually.But if Ebbett is our best option then Gillis needs to start working the phones. We have exactly ONE prospect center even close to being ready for the NHL? That sucks.

My question is what changes are coming to the PP without Schroeder? That to me is a big determinant in whether this move makes sense or not.

If Schroeder is the fall guy for the PP and bigger changes are not coming there, it only reinforces the notion that this coaching staff has lost touch with reality.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 11 March 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#57 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I've always maintained that AV can't motivate when it matters the most.
Schroeder, Ebbett or whoever else, makes little difference in my opinion.
We are not playing with confidence and as things tighten up as we approach the playoffs I see the writing on the wall....
At this point I'm ready to throw in the towel and go for a top 14 draft pick cus no way in hell do I see this team making it past the 1st round.
Gillis when he took over told us that the then Canucks under Nonis was in no way a team that could challenge for the SC.
For this team to make it we will need a few galaxies to line up IMO.
We are far too predictable; coaches can shut us down far too easily.....
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#58 Jayinblack

Jayinblack

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I don't know why this is such a big deal to some... the guy was simply not producing... not just points but chances. He's been on the 1st PP unit with the Sedins for how long (if not this whole 0/22 stretch).

Let him go back and get his confidence back. Maybe Ebbett kicks starts a line.

#59 The Kessing Booth line

The Kessing Booth line

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

The only good thing about this is we should see Garrison on the 1st unit PP point from now on.

#60 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,746 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

There is nothing wrong with what he said, reread it and think outside the box.

I re-read it and it's still stupid inside or outside the box. Schroeder got time in the top 6 and was ok at best. He's not ready for that role yet which is fine. Pumping him with minutes in a league he's not ready for isn't going to do much for him and even less for the team. That's not a dig on Schroeder at all it's simply how things were. He hasn't generated much of anything on his own in his time up with the Canucks.

I'm not asking you to think outside the box I'm just asking you to think.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 11 March 2013 - 09:08 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.