The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Florida Panthers willing to trade almost anybody

Just listening to Donnie Taylor on Team 1040 who was responding to all this talk about the Panthers being in play for Lui and he brought up a good point in that why would the Panthers want to bring in a high priced veteran goalie at this point when they likely have one eye towards Seth Jones and the first overall pick.

Valid point I think which will probably apply to any cellar dwellers rumoured to be a destination for Lui. Doesn't mean that things wouldn't happen over the summer however.

Just listening to Donnie Taylor on Team 1040 who was responding to all this talk about the Panthers being in play for Lui and he brought up a good point in that why would the Panthers want to bring in a high priced veteran goalie at this point when they likely have one eye towards Seth Jones and the first overall pick.

Valid point I think which will probably apply to any cellar dwellers rumoured to be a destination for Lui. Doesn't mean that things wouldn't happen over the summer however.

Something tells me Gillis was waiting for Weiss, but he ended up having a season ending injury. Probably a good thing we didn't acquire him anyways.

There's still options out there.

Don't be surprised if Detroit gets in the mix. Rumor has it Filipula is on the trading block.

Something like Filipula and Sheehan would be a good trade.

All Gudbranson is is potential. Right now Tanev is the better player. He's playing top 4 minutes on the Canucks and is a career plus player. Gudbranson has not lived up to potential so far. Every hockey analyst will tell you this. Does Gudbranson have potential to be better than Tanev in a few years? Sure. Does that mean you should trade someone who has proven he can play consistently for someone who has potential to be better? I'm not so sure.

People are often blinded by the fact that Gudbranson was drafted 3rd overall and automatically assume he must be better than someone who went undrafted. So, I understand why you think Gudbranson is better even though he has not shown it on the ice

He's on the trade block? are they having issues re-signing him?

Anyways, Filipula would be amazing centering our 3rd line, would fit right in with Higgin and Hansen.

Something like Ballard ++ for Filipula and Ferraro's son would be good.

Brian Campbell please. The cost of an overpriced defencemen, but the end result is Sedins will be 100 point players, improved power play, and overall improved offence.

BTW Nucks fans, stop asking for gudbrandon, let alone even Dimitri Kulikov. They aint going nowhere. That being said not sure if he is willing to waive his NTC to Vancouver.

All Gudbranson is is potential. Right now Tanev is the better player. He's playing top 4 minutes on the Canucks and is a career plus player. Gudbranson has not lived up to potential so far. Every hockey analyst will tell you this. Does Gudbranson have potential to be better than Tanev in a few years? Sure. Does that mean you should trade someone who has proven he can play consistently for someone who has potential to be better? I'm not so sure.

People are often blinded by the fact that Gudbranson was drafted 3rd overall and automatically assume he must be better than someone who went undrafted. So, I understand why you think Gudbranson is better even though he has not shown it on the ice

You pay for potential. The kid just turned 21. There is not a single analyst who believes that Gudbranson is a letdown thus far, his career hasn't even started.

I'm not blinded by anything, I've watched both of them play plenty. Tanev has been defensively consistent and at this point is more defensively consistent than Gudbranson, but at over two years younger (which is a huge gap at that age) Gudbranson is better offensively, will learn the defensive game, has more size, makes huge hits and brings energy. Tanev is consistent, great. Gudbranson has the potential to be a franchise D-man.

Let's put it this way; would you trade Willie Mitchell for Gudbranson? How about even Mitchell at the peak of his career for Gudbranson today? I'm assuming you would, and if you wouldn't then there's really no point in continuing this conversation because you're delusional. Tanev's career ceiling is a poor man's Willie Mitchell, and his type of game is easily replaceable. Gudbranson's game is not.

Hang on so you're comparing Mitchell to 23 year old Tanev? And I'm delusional. Right... Tanev is still young and also has potential to get better just like Gudbranson. You pay for potential if you're giving up someone who has peaked sure, but Tanev is not only better than Gudbranson right now, but he also has the potential to continue to get better for 4 more years. You say Gudbranson is more physical, well Tanev is a better skater. And are we talking about the same Gudbranson here? How many points does he have? Not exactly Karlsson on the blue line.

No thanks. Versteeg is not what this team needs... nor is another LH dman. Glad they're willing to trade everyone except their promising young prospects.

**Canucks willing to trade everyone except: Schneider, Kesler, Sedins, Kassian, Jensen, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Garrison....

What? Did you even read what I said? I said Tanev's ceiling is a poor man's Willie Mitchell. As in he'll be good defensively (but will very likely never be as good as Willie Mitchell, hence the "poor man's") while bringing little to no offense. If you can't bother to read then there's no reason to debate.

I also didn't compare Gudbranson to Karlsson, I said he's better offensively than Tanev right now. That is all I said about his offense. So yeah, I'm just going to assume you didn't read my post and are just blindly firing, feel free to re-read my post and work out a better argument.

Archived