The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trades with Toronto and St Louis (no goalies)

I was wondering if we could change around our fortunes a little and tried to think of who doesn't fit well with us and who would be better suited to our team. These two trades would both have to happen as they're dependant on each other somewhat.

To Van: Andy McDonald

To STL: Keith Ballard

McDonald is the better player, but a pending UFA with some injury history. He's currently injured but very close to returning and St Louis has plenty of center depth and is looking for a LH defenceman. Ballard could be that guy to step up and regain some of his form and his cap hit isn't an issue.

To Van: John-Michael Liles

To Tor: David Booth

Booth has had some struggles for us but is still capable of being secondary support. He plays physical and could be useful to Toronto - at least more useful than Liles, who's been a healthy scratch recently. Liles brings a better PP option for us, and it's just too bad he's not right handed.

Both deals have similar amounts of cap moving (we take on $225K more in cap hit). McDonald can be re-signed in the summer for less as he fits well in this team for the short term. Liles does have 4 more years, but is cheaper than Ballard and has more value in a trade. If we feel he doesn't fit and still need to cut cap, we have better options to move him.

We still have potential upgrades through a goalie deal, and a little more room for younger players.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Jensen McDonald Kassian

Higgins Raymond Hansen

Sestito Lapierre Weise

Pinizzotto

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Liles Tanev

Alberts Barker

Once Kesler returns, we can put him back on the second and drop Jensen, or keep the 2nd as is and improve the 3rd line (since we really need some better faceoff ability).

I really like the Andy Mc for Ballard trade. A little on the edge of the JML I think value wise it's a good trade, but i want Jensen to gel in the AHL before we rush him into the NHL. But I don't trust Alberts or Barker playing full time so i would probably take both trades

This is one of those trade proposals that make me wish MG checks these boards.

Both of these deals (rationale-wise) make sense. I think the Ballard trade we'd have to add a decent pick though, Keith's value is not close to McDonald's when you consider their play. Sure, he's a UFA but Andy's still a strong player. In terms of utility Keith could be a buy-low pickup though. Also, if it actually happened McDonald would probably be the left wing, since he's been playing there with Backes in the middle (Kes takes that role when he comes back).

I'd do the Toronto one and pair J.M.L. with Garrison.

Cheaper is better, but harder to sell when you're trying to unload a player with a high cap hit. The rumour around Liles being scratched is he's not defensively responsible enough, and that doesn't fly in a Carlyle-coached team. We'd have to be aware of that as well, but he'd at least be a more offensive option than Ballard and we could use him as more of a specialized player to inject some life into our PP.

I'm curious if either St Louis of Toronto would feel like they aren't getting fair value back, but I think it's fair. I'm even ok with moving Ballard for a pending UFA as I think he's much more likely to stay than some of the other proposed Ballard for a UFA deals.

I really like the Andy Mc for Ballard trade. A little on the edge of the JML I think value wise it's a good trade, but i want Jensen to gel in the AHL before we rush him into the NHL. But I don't trust Alberts or Barker playing full time so i would probably take both trades

Booth is not getting the support that I think he deserves here.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/03/08/on-david-booth-expectations-and-what-it-means-to-be-a-second-liner-in-the-nhl/

His play last year was just what you would expect from a 2nd liner. This year he has been in and out of the line up, and without Kesler. So I don't think we have given him a fair shake yet.

He is big and strong, he can skate, he drives to the net with the puck. Would be nice if he has a better shot and a bit more vision but what are you gonna do?

@ERIK: That's a little short-sighted, do you have any other reasoning?

Booth is not getting the support that I think he deserves here.

http://vansunsportsb...ner-in-the-nhl/

His play last year was just what you would expect from a 2nd liner. This year he has been in and out of the line up, and without Kesler. So I don't think we have given him a fair shake yet.

He is big and strong, he can skate, he drives to the net with the puck. Would be nice if he has a better shot and a bit more vision but what are you gonna do?

I like Booth despite his lack of production; he's probably the only player we have that will drive to the front of the net consistently like we've seen from him in the last couple games. I think he's a likely candidate to control our cap issues though, and we could use a playmaker to really fit with Kesler and whoever else is on that 2nd line.

what do you need to know, we trade on left d man who can pass the puck that is signed at 4.2m for another lefty that is signed at 3.5m who can pass the puck

its a lateral move that saves us 700k in cap.

Id rather us move ballard in a package for a top 6 or 3rd line center. and then pick up a veteran right shot like aucoin for the bottom pairing

McDonald has a cap hit of $4.7M, which is mostly evened out by the money we'd save in the Booth/Liles exchange. Still we take back $225K in cap hit this year, which will decrease when (or if) we re-sign McDonald to a 35+ deal, since he won't earn as much.

I don't know if the Blues would do it, but maybe they could have a conditional pick included with McDonald for if he re-signs or not. It'd only be a 4th or something, and if we re-sign him, it's nothing.

Archived