126 replies to this topic

#1 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

This team has had problems scoring since the second half of the last season but managed to keep winning with some spectacular netminding. Now that Schneider and Luongo have been looking average at best and the powerplay is dead, it's no wonder this team's fighting for a playoff spot instead of the president's tropy.

There's a lot of talent down the line up, but most players have pretty average shots. This is why everyone hates shootouts or why I don't get that excited even on breakaways.
I don't like AV that much, but putting Ballard on the powerplay or whatever people have been suggesting won't make much difference at this point.

The team's been playing with no urgency without any encouraging signs. There's still Kesler and Bieksa injured but that's not an excuse for the rest of the team looking like they've given up.
Posted Image

#2 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

POPULAR

It's AV's job to find a way to create some urgency. The players should already be motivated, and we know MG won't make a trade to get them going.

I agree though, I don't get excited on breakaways anymore. Hell, I don't get excited at all anymore. The team is just not fun to watch when they don't give it their all.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#3 Visp

Visp

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

what scares is me is that we don't even have that much to trade... was trying to think of a way to get John Tavares or Corey Perry.. we can't trade the Sedins obviously, Kelser is injury prone, Edler is currently doing terrible, Burrows is useful to us but not sure if other teams would even want him, Booth won't get much return, can't trade Bieksa, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen, Tanev otherwise we have no players. If Schneider continues to lose momentum, what's left that other teams would actually want?

#4 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I agree. A point I haven't seen is how many 'contenders' this year are tanking as much as if not harder then us. Philly, Tampa, Washington, Rangers... I think its an issue of burn out. I just think the mentality of always trying to be the top dog all the time burns a team out. Add to the mix that the lower teams are trying even harder to pass you, eventually its going to happen. I don't think its something AV can control, maybe just something that the team has to manage and work through. I think Av is doing the best he can with what he has. Ever since he got that penalty for talking to the refs he's been easily agitated it seems. I will give this group some time, let them play it out. We will likely squeak into the playoffs who knows, but I trust MG to make the appropriate changes when necessary. I doubt we are winning a cup this year, so we aren't under extreme pressure to make a move.

#5 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

what scares is me is that we don't even have that much to trade... was trying to think of a way to get John Tavares or Corey Perry.. we can't trade the Sedins obviously, Kelser is injury prone, Edler is currently doing terrible, Burrows is useful to us but not sure if other teams would even want him, Booth won't get much return, can't trade Bieksa, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen, Tanev otherwise we have no players. If Schneider continues to lose momentum, what's left that other teams would actually want?

You make a great point. I was thinking come the off season, they buyout Ballard, Booth, trade Luongo/Schneider, lose Malhotra and go hard after free agents. I would also look at Edler, his NTC doesn't kick in until next season, so I would see what kind of return I could get for him this off season. If you could package Schneider/Luongo and Edler together you could get a wicked player coming back or even a number one overall pick.

#6 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

This team has lived of the PP for some time now and, as was inevitable, the PP has been figured out by most of our opponents. AV's job is to improve our 5 on 5 play somehow.

#7 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

AV's job is to improve our 5 on 5 play somehow.

Canucks are 4th in the West, 5 on 5.

For once, it's our special teams that are letting us down and causing most of our problems.

#8 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Boy, the trolls are lively this morning.

/=S=/

#9 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

POPULAR

Boy, the trolls are lively this morning.

I haven't seen single troll post on this thread.
What is your definition of a troll? Someone who is critical of the Canucks?

Edited by CanucksJay, 11 March 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#10 cyacry

cyacry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

There are many things thats wrong with the team atm...PP isn't clicking, Goal tender is playing mediocre, defence is crapping the bed every night...it's just terrible...and now we have no choice but to rely on Ebbett?....

#11 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

So.....is Scott Arniel thinking of heading to Vancouver ? I like AV but without his one major weapon ( face off's and zone starts ) he's like a fish out of water. If MG can't bring in some one like Antoine Vermette 61% or Paul Gaustad 60.8% to allow him to control the game better he's toast. Gillis knows what makes the system works so if no face off guy turn up in a trade it mean Gillis has given up on AV as well. I'm not so concerned with the PP as long as they have a plan to change it up come the play-offs why show your hand now, just get into the play-offs and then go to a one goalie and ride him, this back and forth has both their heads screwed up and Gillis knows that to. Keslers return will undoubtly help.

#12 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Maybe "troll" wasn't the right word - but how many "AV is a clown" threads do we need? <_<

/=S=/

#13 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

2-3 changes need to happen to the core of this franchise before I fire AV.
Up to gillis to man up and do what's necessary at this point
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#14 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Funny how back in 06-07 when AV became the Canucks coach he was given the Jack Adams award for being the so called best coach, even though it was the first year Luongo was here, and played one of his best years ever. The Canucks back then were not as solid as they are today, so there wasn't big expectations so everyone figured AV was this great coach and deserved the Jack Adams.

Funny how he is kinda in the same situation this year, the team isn't as solid as it was last year, with injuries, and he's not getting the goaltending to bail him out like he did in 06-07. Without the goaltending like Luongo was in 06-07 AV is useless, and it's defintially showing now. If the goaltending was as sharp as Luongo was back in 06-07 everyone would be bowing down to AV and still saying how good of a coach he is, but goaltending isn't bailing him out and he can't do anything else because he sucks.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#15 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#16 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

no manny and kes = lower than 50% chance to win faceoff = always chasin

#17 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Fortunately you missed the "time to trade the sedins thread".

As far as the topic, it doesnt matter what AV tries to do with this club right now.. it seems obvoious to me that he lets them "figure it out" and this has been his MO for far too long.
I have zero faith that AV will get any more out of this club.. both because I dont feel he's capable and also because I feel like the players have tired of him. Thid is just my perception of the situation..

#18 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

There are many things thats wrong with the team atm...PP isn't clicking, Goal tender is playing mediocre, defence is crapping the bed every night...it's just terrible...and now we have no choice but to rely on Ebbett?....

And no forward call-up will deal with the issues you identified.

#19 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Funny how back in 06-07 when AV became the Canucks coach he was given the Jack Adams award for being the so called best coach, even though it was the first year Luongo was here, and played one of his best years ever. The Canucks back then were not as solid as they are today, so there wasn't big expectations so everyone figured AV was this great coach and deserved the Jack Adams.

Funny how he is kinda in the same situation this year, the team isn't as solid as it was last year, with injuries, and he's not getting the goaltending to bail him out like he did in 06-07. Without the goaltending like Luongo was in 06-07 AV is useless, and it's defintially showing now. If the goaltending was as sharp as Luongo was back in 06-07 everyone would be bowing down to AV and still saying how good of a coach he is, but goaltending isn't bailing him out and he can't do anything else because he sucks.

Right.

I guess that means that the Boston inbred coach, and Tortorella and Darryl Sutter "suck", too, since, you know, their goalies played otherwordly to get them either Stanley Cups or regular season dominance.

#20 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

This team has so many holes, its not even funny... don't even know where to start but the damage started over a year ago(almost two) and don't think its all AV's fault.

Team needs to be cleaned and sadly the players making some big $ are not worth a lot due to average to sub average play... Ballard, Booth, Edler, Garisson and sadly even our goalies are not performing to their potential.

Posted Image

#21 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

POPULAR

Right.

I guess that means that the Boston inbred coach, and Tortorella and Darryl Sutter "suck", too, since, you know, their goalies played otherwordly to get them either Stanley Cups or regular season dominance.

I'm just pointing out that AV should of never been awarded the Jack Adams back in 06-07, because he isn't a good coach, he had a goalie bail him out to make him look better the he was. The following year the Canucks missed the playoffs, then the following years the core players developed and became better overall players. Hence the success of a stacked team to make the playoffs, AV is out coached by Quenneville, year after that AV is outcoached by Quenneville once again, following year AV blows a 3-1 lead to Quenneville and barley was able to win in game 7.

Took this team 3 years and the final game, to finally get passed Chicago, then of course the Boston series, just ugly all together. Following year AV comes out and says he wasn't prepared for the playoffs with Daniel out of the lineup, wow that's a new excuse to use as a coach. What's his excuse going to be this year, it was hard to manage this team with all the injuries we had, I couldn't seem to see enough chemistry with the lines, with a shortened season it was hard to manage.

My hate for AV goes all the way back to when he started here, so it's not like I have just jumped the wagon and started hating him. I have disliked this guy since day 1, and will dislike him until he is gone. What he did to Trevor Linden and forcing him to retire, was the final straw with AV, and he will never get my respect ever.

Oh and regards to your comment on the other coaches, atleast they can say they have won a cup.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup, 12 March 2013 - 01:08 AM.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#22 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Truth is the players aren't playing so well. Plus this is the NHL folks. Other 'good' teams are struggling too. AV can only do so much.

G4fSut.gif

#23 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

So.....is Scott Arniel thinking of heading to Vancouver ? I like AV but without his one major weapon ( face off's and zone starts ) he's like a fish out of water. If MG can't bring in some one like Antoine Vermette 61% or Paul Gaustad 60.8% to allow him to control the game better he's toast. Gillis knows what makes the system works so if no face off guy turn up in a trade it mean Gillis has given up on AV as well. I'm not so concerned with the PP as long as they have a plan to change it up come the play-offs why show your hand now, just get into the play-offs and then go to a one goalie and ride him, this back and forth has both their heads screwed up and Gillis knows that to. Keslers return will undoubtly help.

Playoffs... You wanna talk about the Playoffs?!

Let's have this team put a good string of wins together first and take back top spot in the Northwest Division.

Side note: Could someone put up that video about the coach who was talking about the playoffs, I'm on mobile at the moment.

slo802.jpg

Thanks for the sweet sig Justdean10

#24 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

I agree. A point I haven't seen is how many 'contenders' this year are tanking as much as if not harder then us. Philly, Tampa, Washington, Rangers... I think its an issue of burn out. I just think the mentality of always trying to be the top dog all the time burns a team out. Add to the mix that the lower teams are trying even harder to pass you, eventually its going to happen. I don't think its something AV can control, maybe just something that the team has to manage and work through. I think Av is doing the best he can with what he has. Ever since he got that penalty for talking to the refs he's been easily agitated it seems. I will give this group some time, let them play it out. We will likely squeak into the playoffs who knows, but I trust MG to make the appropriate changes when necessary. I doubt we are winning a cup this year, so we aren't under extreme pressure to make a move.

I agree that many contenders are doing poorly, but I disagree why. The reffing has made the clutch and grab aspect even worse this year. The rules are changing faster than teams can keep up, so it's an endless rotation of crap teams doing better than they should. Our specific problems are indeed powerplays but the faceoff circle is huge for us and we're doing awful in it right now

#25 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Back in 06/07 AV coached a defense first game because of the talent level that actually helps the goalie. It was a boring season to watch. Gillis gave him the mandate of coaching a more uptempo offensive game which doesn't help the goalie as much. Despite this he still coaches defensive responsibility. He's a better coach than you give him credit for.
Posted Image

#26 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

Err av coached a trap system back then...

#27 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

Bottom line is that all these guys make millions and there's no room for mistakes any longer, spread the blame around and don't just go after the coaching. This team didn't make it to STC finals or 2 president trophies THEMSELVES their was obviously some coaching behind them so don't just say that "ooo AV did this, AV did that" we've been a much better team since he got here. Give him some credit lol

#28 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

So.....is Scott Arniel thinking of heading to Vancouver ?

For the sweet love of god.....NO.....just NO.....I am no fan of AV but if the choice is AV or either of Arniel or Bowness as our head coach, please keep AV.

Keep AV are two words I have never used next to each other in a sentence but Arniel as our coach would probably make me start rooting for another team. He is overrated and pretty much useless.

If there is a coaching change they need to make it someone who has no current ties to the Canucks or the players. It needs to be a clean slate for all and a new system. Bringing up a guy from the AHL team means you will get the same system as they play it there too......

Come to think of it, can we not play moneyball with our coaching staff too? It's bad enough Gillis does it with all the retread project players he thinks are going to take this team anywhere.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 12 March 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#29 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

This team is desperately needing 2-3 changes.
Lindy ruff , Ryan clowe and Brendan morrow / Brandon Dubinsky would give this team a heart transplant just in time for playoffs
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#30 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

This team has had problems scoring since the second half of the last season but managed to keep winning with some spectacular netminding. Now that Schneider and Luongo have been looking average at best and the powerplay is dead, it's no wonder this team's fighting for a playoff spot instead of the president's tropy.

There's a lot of talent down the line up, but most players have pretty average shots. This is why everyone hates shootouts or why I don't get that excited even on breakaways.
I don't like AV that much, but putting Ballard on the powerplay or whatever people have been suggesting won't make much difference at this point.

The team's been playing with no urgency without any encouraging signs. There's still Kesler and Bieksa injured but that's not an excuse for the rest of the team looking like they've given up.

It's too late. AV and his staff have grown stale. His cocky demeanor is now catching up to him. He's been tuned out even if no one will say it in the room.
The proof is on the ice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.